Wiki Posts
Search

I love VS miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
I love VS miles

Just booked a LHR-BOS trip next Saturday UC with miles (40k+£350). Decided to go over for the Patriots game.

Anyway, VS is the only airline I've used to the point where I have enough miles to do things like this, so I have no idea if it's normal to be able to get M+M seats this "easily" (I know 40k miles is a lot, but I put all my spending through my VS c/c and use Hilton hotels all the time, so it racks up fast).

I've never had any problem redeeming points for fares (DXB-LHR and LHR-east coast mainly) which is one thing I love about VS. Is it this easy with other airlines?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Is that return ? Excellent price if so (actually it is not too shabby if one way). I was pricing up a PE to Vegas and could not even get close to the price you paid.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:37 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
That isn't a M+M redemption - it is a standard Y redemption - your £350 is all taxes and Virgin's own horrible YQ 'surcharge'.

If you work out how much spending 40k miles has saved you against a Paid fare, and you are happy - then that is all that matters.

Given that it is such a late booking then it probably has saved you a fair bit AND - given that you will be going to Foxborough, then it will be worth every penny and mile when the Pats win. ;-)

Nick
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Sorry, it's just miles yeah, not M+M. It's one way. I dont think through the actual "value" of the miles so much, and I'm really happy with it considering it's thousands with just cash.

Consider that this is just an off the cuff trip too, that's the only reason I did it. I spend a lot on the c/c and in Hiltons and I travel LHR-SYD a fair bit, so this is a great way to spend the miles for me!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:07 am
Original Poster

And yep, although I'm a Packers fan (just too late to get in a Lambeau trip ) I would love a Pats win! Always wanted to go to Foxboro.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:13 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Not something you've ever done eh Nick .
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
That isn't a M+M redemption - it is a standard Y redemption - your £350 is all taxes and Virgin's own horrible YQ 'surcharge'.
Just to clarify this is a G fare not Y
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by jeffers
Just to clarify this is a G fare not Y
Yes sorry, my bad - don't know why but I read it as a Y

I will blame old eyes on a Sunday morning.

For a G it is a brilliant price and an amazingly low amount of points - result!!

How did you book it?

Nick
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Yes sorry, my bad - don't know why but I read it as a Y

I will blame old eyes on a Sunday morning.

For a G it is a brilliant price and an amazingly low amount of points - result!!

How did you book it?

Nick
I was looking through fares and wanted to go in J so decided to have a look at miles fares. That came up, but it wouldn't let me go through payment online, so I rang and was no problem. It's still there now if you look on the VS site
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:04 am
Original Poster

I'll add that I actually ended up booking LHR-EWR instead as my gf lives in NJ and she's going to drive us up there same miles offer. I really think it's an awesome deal given the price of a cash UC fare.

Just to re-iterate it's only one way, but still. I don't mind vegetating in Y or PE on the way back
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:23 am

How did you book it?

Nick
It's exactly the price and miles you'd expect for a one-way G to BOS isn't it?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by at240
It's exactly the price and miles you'd expect for a one-way G to BOS isn't it?
I clearly didn't pick up on the one way bit. I have never even looked at one way redemptions in the past, due to the high cost of booking a one way trip back.

New Years resolution should have been to read threads with more care - even on a Sunday.

Nick
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
It's a standard one way UG redemption with 40K miles and you should only pay £334.79 for tax and surcharges (online price), not £350.

It's off peak season, availability for G is not bad.

Happy for you be able to use your miles, but couldn't figure out anything special about this redemption.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I think it's special for the OP, so they wanted to share their happiness. Which isn't a bad thing to read of someone else being happy
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

I wasn't saying it was anything out of the ordinary, I know a lot of people on here follow these things very closely and could tell me what the "standard redemption" is on all sorts of routes; I was just happy to be able to get a seat in UC for what I thought was a really good price

Part of it was that it seems very easy to get seats on points with VS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.