FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   I love VS miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1424617-i-love-vs-miles.html)

jeffers Jan 6, 2013 1:32 am

I love VS miles

Just booked a LHR-BOS trip next Saturday UC with miles (40k+£350). Decided to go over for the Patriots game.

Anyway, VS is the only airline I've used to the point where I have enough miles to do things like this, so I have no idea if it's normal to be able to get M+M seats this "easily" (I know 40k miles is a lot, but I put all my spending through my VS c/c and use Hilton hotels all the time, so it racks up fast).

I've never had any problem redeeming points for fares (DXB-LHR and LHR-east coast mainly) which is one thing I love about VS. Is it this easy with other airlines? :)

Silver Fox Jan 6, 2013 1:54 am

Is that return ? Excellent price if so (actually it is not too shabby if one way). I was pricing up a PE to Vegas and could not even get close to the price you paid.

Nottingham Nick Jan 6, 2013 2:37 am

That isn't a M+M redemption - it is a standard Y redemption - your £350 is all taxes and Virgin's own horrible YQ 'surcharge'.

If you work out how much spending 40k miles has saved you against a Paid fare, and you are happy - then that is all that matters.

Given that it is such a late booking then it probably has saved you a fair bit AND - given that you will be going to Foxborough, then it will be worth every penny and mile when the Pats win. ;-)

Nick

jeffers Jan 6, 2013 2:57 am

Sorry, it's just miles yeah, not M+M. It's one way. I dont think through the actual "value" of the miles so much, and I'm really happy with it considering it's thousands with just cash.

Consider that this is just an off the cuff trip too, that's the only reason I did it. I spend a lot on the c/c and in Hiltons and I travel LHR-SYD a fair bit, so this is a great way to spend the miles for me!

jeffers Jan 6, 2013 3:07 am

And yep, although I'm a Packers fan (just too late to get in a Lambeau trip :( ) I would love a Pats win! Always wanted to go to Foxboro. :D

slinky09 Jan 6, 2013 3:13 am

Not something you've ever done eh Nick :cool:.

jeffers Jan 6, 2013 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick (Post 19985559)
That isn't a M+M redemption - it is a standard Y redemption - your £350 is all taxes and Virgin's own horrible YQ 'surcharge'.

Just to clarify this is a G fare not Y :eek:

Nottingham Nick Jan 6, 2013 5:07 am

Originally Posted by jeffers (Post 19985756)
Just to clarify this is a G fare not Y :eek:

Yes sorry, my bad - don't know why but I read it as a Y :confused:

I will blame old eyes on a Sunday morning. ;)

For a G it is a brilliant price and an amazingly low amount of points - result!!

How did you book it?

Nick

jeffers Jan 6, 2013 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick (Post 19985979)
Yes sorry, my bad - don't know why but I read it as a Y :confused:

I will blame old eyes on a Sunday morning. ;)

For a G it is a brilliant price and an amazingly low amount of points - result!!

How did you book it?

Nick

I was looking through fares and wanted to go in J so decided to have a look at miles fares. That came up, but it wouldn't let me go through payment online, so I rang and was no problem. It's still there now if you look on the VS site :)

jeffers Jan 6, 2013 6:04 am

I'll add that I actually ended up booking LHR-EWR instead as my gf lives in NJ and she's going to drive us up there :D same miles offer. I really think it's an awesome deal given the price of a cash UC fare.

Just to re-iterate it's only one way, but still. I don't mind vegetating in Y or PE on the way back :D

at240 Jan 6, 2013 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick (Post 19985979)

How did you book it?

Nick

It's exactly the price and miles you'd expect for a one-way G to BOS isn't it?

Nottingham Nick Jan 6, 2013 10:04 am

Originally Posted by at240 (Post 19986416)
It's exactly the price and miles you'd expect for a one-way G to BOS isn't it?

I clearly didn't pick up on the one way bit. :( I have never even looked at one way redemptions in the past, due to the high cost of booking a one way trip back. :td:

New Years resolution should have been to read threads with more care - even on a Sunday. ;)

Nick

MP (Miles+Points) Jan 6, 2013 10:09 am

It's a standard one way UG redemption with 40K miles and you should only pay £334.79 for tax and surcharges (online price), not £350.

It's off peak season, availability for G is not bad.

Happy for you be able to use your miles, but couldn't figure out anything special about this redemption.

Jenbel Jan 6, 2013 5:33 pm

I think it's special for the OP, so they wanted to share their happiness. Which isn't a bad thing to read of someone else being happy :)

jeffers Jan 6, 2013 7:41 pm

I wasn't saying it was anything out of the ordinary, I know a lot of people on here follow these things very closely and could tell me what the "standard redemption" is on all sorts of routes; I was just happy to be able to get a seat in UC for what I thought was a really good price :D

Part of it was that it seems very easy to get seats on points with VS.