Interline on two tickets - baggage question?

Old Dec 24, 12, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
Interline on two tickets - baggage question?

I'm considering using the AMEX MR 35% transfer to top off a one-way Upper Class award ORD-LHR and connect to a revenue LH or BA flight LHR-MUC. Since this will be two tickets, and I will definitely have a checked bag, will Virgin transfer the bag to LH/BA for me or will I have to claim it and lug it to the other terminal to recheck? [When I took this approach with AF/LH last year on two tickets, there was no problem with AF checking the bag, but I know that for example DL has stopped this practice.]

The connection time would be a reasonably leisurely 3 hours for LH, or 4 hours for BA.

My alternative is ORD-BRU-MUC on UA/LH, with again a nearly 3 hour layover. The VS/LH has taxes/fuel and a paid coach segment, but I don't value the VS miles nearly as much as I value the UA miles, so it ends up being a wash financially.
Old Dec 24, 12, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
AFAIK on seperate ones, you're out of luck (though you *might* find an agent ignorant of the rule or who doesn't care).
Old Dec 24, 12, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
In theory, VS won't interline on a separate ticket. In practice, if you ask, they sometimes/often will, and we seem to hear more reports of this ex-USA.

For the remainder, I think LH have moved to T1, whereas BA are obviously T5.
Old Dec 24, 12, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Newish (enforcement only started in July) DOT rules make it ever more unlikely that carriers will do this, especially on itineraries which originate / terminate in the USA.

While the new rules are probably helpful to most pax connecting through multiple carriers, they cause serious regulatory problems when separate PNR's are involved.

The problem is no longer a CSR simply hitting an override, but a need to call the other carrier and add specific notes to the downstream PNR(s) which explain the original segment's baggage allowance. Each downstream carrier must, at check-in, manually adjust its system to reflect the PNR notes.
Old Dec 24, 12, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The problem is no longer a CSR simply hitting an override, but a need to call the other carrier and add specific notes to the downstream PNR(s) which explain the original segment's baggage allowance. Each downstream carrier must, at check-in, manually adjust its system to reflect the PNR notes.
Ah, that explains it - I figured it had something to do with bag fees and the like. And my AF/LH trip was back in May before the DOT rule change.

If I go this way, it wouldn't be the end of the world, as I could clear immigration and clean up at the arrivals lounge. But it adds enough stress that I'll probably wait and do this when I'd either have the ability to layover for a day in London or have a shorter trip with no checked luggage.

Thanks everybody!

Search this Thread