Search

DL to buy 49% stake in VS (from SQ)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:31 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
As usual, CAPA has a very good analysis of the deal:

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...-skyteam-91362
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:37 am

As a DL Platinum and VS Gold, I would really like to be happy about this announcement, I really would. But with my regular TATL itinerary being CPH-MCO, I preferred to see VS join Star so I could get from CPH-UK and catch a VS flight to MCO.

I cannot get a direct flight from CPH-UK on Sky - would have to go via CDG or AMS, and we're not going to do two short flights just to reach our longhaul departure city. And the return from the US to Europe on the redeye would not be fun if needing a double short connection following the longhaul to reach home.

I wonder if VS/DL will expand their intra-Europe connections?

Also wonder if DL SWUs will be redeemable for VS upgrades into UC.

Susan
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:37 am

VS are actually stronger to New York and Boston than Delta I believe - London originating anyway. So I can't see Delta taking over too much in that regard.

I could see Delta handing VS Boston perhaps. Seattle seems another likely one, and VS have mentioned that in the past. Lots of big companies there.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by alexr_ft
As VS Gold sitting on 750K miles, I'm not happy for VS to have any association with an airline I consider so fundamentally crappy that I refuse to book them.

Am I overreacting?
Nope. I like DL's domestic product but the FF program is just terrible compared to other US carriers that are left.

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
Be thankful that it wasn't United?
United miles are actually very useful for Star Alliance awards.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by holtju2
Nope. I like DL's domestic product but the FF program is just terrible compared to other US carriers that are left.

Exactly my experience in recent years. I've gotten great awards with my United miles and a whole bunch of nothing with my Delta miles.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:03 am

I have 108,000 VA miles, will this deal make them more valuable?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by compddd
I have 108,000 VA miles, will this deal make them more valuable?
Theoretically it will open up more ways for you to spend miles, but of course it all means the likes of me with our Delta miles will be competing with you for those Virgin awards. Everything hinges on the award availability Delta and Virgin open up going forward. I've been pretty unimpressed with Delta on that in recent years.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I would think (hope?) that the VS fuel surcharges are kept for DL awards on VS as a disincentive to stop all award availability being hoovered up by DL flyers. It's what AA/BA did and although there was much crying from the AA flyers, it seems to have worked fairly well in ensuring award availability on BA still. While I might not like paying Ł500 for a J award, it does have some benefits in scaring off people who are just not used to paying that level of surcharge on an award flight.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I would think (hope?) that the VS fuel surcharges are kept for DL awards on VS as a disincentive to stop all award availability being hoovered up by DL flyers. It's what AA/BA did and although there was much crying from the AA flyers, it seems to have worked fairly well in ensuring award availability on BA still. While I might not like paying Ł500 for a J award, it does have some benefits in scaring off people who are just not used to paying that level of surcharge on an award flight.
So, you prefer SCAM charges?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:55 am

I think BA's fuel surcharges are just dandy. Really. I was able to get one-way F tickets on BA, SFO-LHR-EDI (Y for the short haul) for 37,500 Avios points and US$1,225 (all taxes/fees/surcharges included). If those surcharges are enough to deter others and leave that award open for me, I'm all for 'em. A round-trip in F for such a long-haul, with the EDI flight included, for US$2,450 plus is 75,000 points is a fantastic deal in my opinion.

So, if Virgin takes the same approach and makes Upper Class awards reasonably available, albeit with a substantial surcharge, that's just fine with me.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
So, you prefer SCAM charges?
I'm used to paying them. I'm finding them too high now - I could accept Ł200 - Ł300 better than I can accept Ł500+ (which is getting towards the price of a Y ticket) But they do mean I still have availability when I want to use my BA miles, and I don't need to worry that AA flyers wanting a bit higher quality will have used up all the availability.

All things being equal, I'd like not to pay them but still have availablity. But since it is not a perfect world, I'd rather pay them and have availability than not pay them and have no availability.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
All things being equal, I'd like not to pay them but still have availablity. But since it is not a perfect world, I'd rather pay them and have availability than not pay them and have no availability.
You've summed up my thoughts perfectly. ^
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
I also don't mind the taxes and surcharges if it means you effectively have access to deeply discounted business class seats.

Maybe, but it increases the risk of having to get on board a United plane again. No thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
You've summed up my thoughts perfectly. ^
Yep. I often disagree with Jenbel, but I've never doubted that she's a smartie.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
I also don't mind the taxes and surcharges if it means you effectively have access to deeply discounted business class seats.
When you're dealing with a program that has fuel surcharges, this is the way you need to look at it. It would be great to get a J/F ticket for free (or practically free), but even with paying YQ, I'm still able to fly J or F at a vast discount compared with the revenue price for such a ticket, which I would not be able to afford.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.