Old Nov 9, 12, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Virgin back to a 4 star Skytrax airline

Perhaps they decided to pay their bill to Skytrax! lol

http://www.airlinequality.com/news/081112_virgin.htm
Old Nov 9, 12, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
They obviously did not take Mangle My Booking into consideration
Old Nov 9, 12, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Wait till they get hold of the amenity kit reduction
Old Nov 9, 12, 5:19 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Who cares what Skytrax says?
Old Nov 9, 12, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, VS Gold, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by slinky09 View Post
Who cares what Skytrax says?
The advertisers on their site?
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
The Advertising Standards Agency seem to care what they say - they have just upheld five complaints against them for publishing misleading claims - who would have thought that??

Details of the ruling can be found here - http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...DJ_196416.aspx

Nick
Old Nov 10, 12, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick View Post
The Advertising Standards Agency seem to care what they say - they have just upheld five complaints against them for publishing misleading claims - who would have thought that??

Details of the ruling can be found here - http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudi...DJ_196416.aspx

Nick
Interesting.

The complaint was made by a reputation management company. I wonder if Virgin employed them, as the ASA ruling was made on 7 November and it wasn't long after this that Virgin were restored to a 4 star rating.

Another interesting thing is that the ASA upheld all 5 points, and ordered skytrax to change its website (like removing its claim to have over 5 million genuine reviews) which I see it has done.

What is less clear is whether virgin deserved the downgrade to 3 stars, or subsequent upgrade to 4 stars. However, if Virgin was behind the ASA complaint, fair play to them for challenging the website. I used to like skytrax, but reading the ASA ruling I have taken against!
Old Nov 10, 12, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
It's an interesting debate. Online review sites have become massively influential - Tripadvisor for example, BUT can they ever be considered impartial?

I assume there will always be people who dislike a brand and give it unjustifiably harsh reviews, and also Fanboyz who big a brand up because they have a desire to make it look better than its rivals. There will be businesses who put in bad reviews of their rivals and there will be those who put in good reviews of their own company.

Possibly worse than that is a site that fawns over a brand because they spend money advertising on the site. I don't think it will ever be possible to stop that.

Personally, I like Tripadvisor and am hugely influenced by it, I also make the effort to put in balanced reviews of places I stay or visit. I do however take some reviews with a pinch of salt. I have never been a fan of Skytrax and this ruling did nothing to make me change my mind.

Back on thread - I think that just about all of my 100+ flights on VS, over MANY years, have left me believing that they are a 4* airline, but some of the things I have read on here and other sites about when VS are bad would prevent me from arguing with those who say otherwise. It is ALL down to your own personal experience.

Nick
Old Nov 11, 12, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick View Post
It's an interesting debate. Online review sites have become massively influential - Tripadvisor for example, BUT can they ever be considered impartial?

I assume there will always be people who dislike a brand and give it unjustifiably harsh reviews, and also Fanboyz who big a brand up because they have a desire to make it look better than its rivals. There will be businesses who put in bad reviews of their rivals and there will be those who put in good reviews of their own company.

Possibly worse than that is a site that fawns over a brand because they spend money advertising on the site. I don't think it will ever be possible to stop that.

Personally, I like Tripadvisor and am hugely influenced by it, I also make the effort to put in balanced reviews of places I stay or visit. I do however take some reviews with a pinch of salt. I have never been a fan of Skytrax and this ruling did nothing to make me change my mind.

Back on thread - I think that just about all of my 100+ flights on VS, over MANY years, have left me believing that they are a 4* airline, but some of the things I have read on here and other sites about when VS are bad would prevent me from arguing with those who say otherwise. It is ALL down to your own personal experience.

Nick
I am in agreement about much of what you have said. I also am influenced by Tripadvisor and hope my own contributions to that site have been fair.

I have liked Skytrax in the past, but now I am less keen. My own VS experience was dire (hence my handle) but as I get older I see that things are very rarely as black and white as they once appeared to be! Anyway, I'm not going to disagree with 100+ flights' experience!

In a way I rather hope it was them who coolly commissioned a reputation management company to challenge a dishonest internet bully.

Search this Thread