Wiki Posts
Search

Miles Booster

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Miles Booster

Did everyone get the email about miles booster today?

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...s-booster.html

I'm curious exactly how this works...do you just ring them up and pay to double miles from any journey you've done in the last 6 months??
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by jeffers

I'm curious exactly how this works...do you just ring them up and pay to double miles from any journey you've done in the last 6 months??
I read it that way:

"Miles may also be purchased through the Miles Booster Programme up to the date six months following the original date of the first sector of the flight in the itinerary."
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, CX Gold, LeAccor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, SPG Gold
Looking at the example they provide, you're getting 9k for £150? can't you just buy them anyway at £15/1k + £15 admin - so 9*15 + 15 = £150....?

I suppose it will mean you can over the 30k per annum limit, but still seems expensive?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Agent73
Looking at the example they provide, you're getting 9k for £150? can't you just buy them anyway at £15/1k + £15 admin - so 9*15 + 15 = £150....?

I suppose it will mean you can over the 30k per annum limit, but still seems expensive?
It actually says in the T&Cs this is how it is calculated:

"23. Miles Booster Programme purchases can be made in United States Dollars or British Pound Sterling. Miles purchased via the Miles Booster Programme will be priced as follows:
a. British Pound Sterling: £0.015 per mile, plus an additional £15.00 transaction fee per purchase
b. U.S. Dollars: $0.025 per mile, plus an additional $25.00 transaction fee per purchase"

What a poor offer. These miles don't even post until after your first flight either.
Much better just to buy them.

If you have Amex MR, you can get up to 10k at £0.015 per mile and not even pay a £15 transaction fee by buying MR points and converting to Virgin miles.

Plus you can buy SPG points and convert to Virgin miles at a similar rate without a transaction fee (up to 20k per year).
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
By reading the rules, yes.

I'll ring them up and do it for my trip this Tuesday, I'll report back this afternoon.

Steve

Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Cheers backdoc.

I thought the offer looked good when I first read it, but looking into it it seems pointless really. The other offer for tier points was superb though so can't complain.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:55 am

I know...

I'll get 4 more tier points on my next trip.

I'll calculate it out to see if this offer makes sense to me. I have LAX-LHR RT in UC next week and LAX-LHR-JNB RT in UC in Dec and March.

I could get a zillion miles for the South Africa trips....

It doesn't say how much it costs to triple the base miles.

Cheers backdoc.

I thought the offer looked good when I first read it, but looking into it it seems pointless really. The other offer for tier points was superb though so can't complain.

Last edited by backdoc; Oct 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: VS, BA, AA, IHG, HH, SPG
I understood it to mean that tripling the miles would cost twice as much although it doesnt actually say that anywhere, in fact its pretty badly worded overall. I look forward to seeing if theres a discount for tripling or not. Also am I correct in assuming that you cant double dip with the current miles/tier points offer?

Seems like a marketing ploy to sell miles at exactly the normal rate to me
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: BMI
I've done the calculations here at flymeforfree.com

Essentially it's the same as buying the miles via points.com apart from you get a bonus 1,000 miles at present.

Jon
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:15 pm

So.....

Normally, you can only buy miles up to 30,000 miles/year.

With this plan you can buy "unlimited miles" but based on the actual miles you've flown within 6months prior.

So, its a way to buy more miles than 30k if you've flown a lot.

<shrug> If you're not a frequent flier this won't do you any good.

I think if you're getting close to an award it might be good.

Steve

Originally Posted by monkeymagic
I've done the calculations here at flymeforfree.com

Essentially it's the same as buying the miles via points.com apart from you get a bonus 1,000 miles at present.

Jon
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: BMI
Virgin have introduced bonuses on the purchase of miles (up to 25%)

This makes it better value for money than the recently introduced Mileage Booster.

Full analysis on my blog www.flymeforfree.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.