Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Do you still get miles if you upgrade with miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Bonvoy, ALL

I had to make a last minute change to my flights to US recently and now have a PE fare class S booking in the hope of upgrading to UC with miles before I travel. If that happens, will I still be eligible for the PE tier points and miles I would have earned?

Many thanks for your help!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:27 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Yes you will. However, due to the long lasting vagaries of VS IT systems, they'll 'lose' your original booking and you'll have to call up or use the missing miles form online to get the miles and TPs posted.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
I spoke to a rep about this, you'll need to call.

I too have an PE "S" ticket that I used miles to upgrade to UC. The rep said to call when you finish travel and they'll make sure you get the miles.

It will cost you extra money ($300 in my case from LAX-LHR RT) in taxes to do the upgrade.

Slinky09 always has the best answers.

Originally Posted by slinky09
Yes you will. However, due to the long lasting vagaries of VS IT systems, they'll 'lose' your original booking and you'll have to call up or use the missing miles form online to get the miles and TPs posted.

Last edited by backdoc; Oct 2, 2012 at 4:04 pm
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by backdoc

It will cost you a extra money ($300 in my case from LAX RT) in taxes to do the upgrade.

It won't cost you any extra in tax - specifically UK APD as the rates in UC are the same as in PE.

What you will pay for is the extra VS fuel surcharge which os certainly not a tax - no matter how much VS try to say it is !
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: Stuff
Is this the same as a miles plus money deal? I did that to LA PE in August and got the miles for my journey.. When I added my partner and son to virgin and asked for them to get the miles too, they said oh sorry, according to clause x of paragraph y subsection z, as much as we'd love to give you the miles, I'm afraid they are not entitled and oh, just for completeness we've wiped out your TP's and miles that you got in error. Have a nice day...

I commented that that was not good customer service and haven't heard a peep back. Seriously, I wouldn't expect that sort of "help" from BT, let alone an airline I am allegedly top tier in...

Will probably have a proper whinge at them if it isn't sorted by my next UC flight. I am travelling US><UK alot in the next 12 months and their reaction to this will decide if I go back to BA or not...
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by AndyB
Is this the same as a miles plus money deal? I did that to LA PE in August and got the miles for my journey.. When I added my partner and son to virgin and asked for them to get the miles too, they said oh sorry, according to clause x of paragraph y subsection z, as much as we'd love to give you the miles, I'm afraid they are not entitled and oh, just for completeness we've wiped out your TP's and miles that you got in error. Have a nice day...

Will probably have a proper whinge at them if it isn't sorted by my next UC flight. I am travelling US><UK alot in the next 12 months and their reaction to this will decide if I go back to BA or not...
Do whinge but the agent you spoke to is correct, you do not earn miles and TPs for MPM fares and although a mistake was made, any airline would likely reverse them. I've have heard that this has happened before, and the best advice is to stay schtum!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:24 am

Do whinge but the agent you spoke to is correct, you do not earn miles and TPs for MPM fares and although a mistake was made, any airline would likely reverse them. I've have heard that this has happened before, and the best advice is to stay schtum!
Didnt speak, that was all over email which made it more distasteful..
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by AndyB
Didnt speak, that was all over email which made it more distasteful..
Your problem was seeking the additions for your travelling partners, that must have twigged something
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Bonvoy, ALL
Thanks for your replies, slinky09 and backdoc.

At least it eases the pain that I had to pay additional Ł532 to re-route my itinerary and change my dates. Hopefully that inbound red-eye flight PE will be busy and can get an Operational Upgrade - I was quite lucky to get that upgrade with a K PE booking on my last inbound long-haul PVG - LHR and that was my first time in UC (bed is indeed more comfortable that of BA).

Btw, do they really charge you at the counter if you wish to upgrade with miles - how much cash in additional usually for a PE-UC upgrade? The CS rep told me one way upgrade from JFK - LHR is 10,000 miles (think that was a good deal). Many thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:07 pm

Your problem was seeking the additions for your travelling partners, that must have twigged something
Indeed, another great idea from the wife..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.