Search

horrible redemption experience from VS.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
horrible redemption experience from VS.

I have some vrigin altantic miles and tried many times to get better redemption without pay surcharge. Almost all failed. Yesterday I have some incoming trips and I can choose virgin america and air new zealand. The people from virgin are really nice but even I found availibility from other channels virgin always say no. Once they confirmed my finding about oneway air new zealand business class, but cannot confirm return flight. Anyway no matter how hard you search, always in vain. Even lady from virgin feel sorry about that. It is horrible.

I doubt how this airline can survive.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
Virgin Atlantic has been going since 1984 - so it's surviving ok I'd reckon.

I found LHR - LAS return quite easily a short while ago, all on miles. The service rep even helped me organise spreading the payment in miles from two accounts.

Whilst certain in air facilities have dropped due to budget tightening, the ground services from Virgin are quite good even when compared to other 'leading' airlines. Certainly, I prefer the friendliness and service on the ground over SQ.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bye bye. They will survive just fine.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
To the OP, are you trying to redeem miles on VS partner carriers to avoid the surcharges if you were to just redeem on VS award flights? If so, finding an award flight with a VS partner carrier depends on the partner carrier and their redemption policies with VS. For example, if you were trying to redeem VS miles for a flight on NZ, that would be difficult to do. You might try another VS partner instead. You can also ask VS what the best redemption would be, depending on the city you want to travel to. The VS agents, depending who you get, might be able to come up with some options for you if you ask. Also, you should be prepared to book an award flight with a partner carrier way in advance in some instances. Otherwise, you might get an outbound confirmation but unconfirmed on the return, just like you said, if you book on short notice.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by MagicWok
Virgin Atlantic has been going since 1984 - so it's surviving ok I'd reckon.

I found LHR - LAS return quite easily a short while ago, all on miles. The service rep even helped me organise spreading the payment in miles from two accounts.

Whilst certain in air facilities have dropped due to budget tightening, the ground services from Virgin are quite good even when compared to other 'leading' airlines. Certainly, I prefer the friendliness and service on the ground over SQ.
Was this one redemption, or two? If single, is this normal VS policy to allow?

Never heard of this before, unless she just booked a one way award from each acct.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: Lots of shiny metallic ones.
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Was this one redemption, or two? If single, is this normal VS policy to allow?

Never heard of this before, unless she just booked a one way award from each acct.
You always could - as long as each *sector* comes from one account, VS can split the mileage spend for a trip across as many accounts as you wish.

So, two people needing to spend 100k miles each on a return flight together in Upper can actually have it split as 150k from one account and 50k from another.

Here's the cool bit... As long as you're an authorised account user (by the account holder) you can spend from another person's account for a flight they're not travelling on. So... That 200k COULD come from 4 different people's accounts (50k per sector/account) if you wanted to ^
Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by preiffer
You always could - as long as each *sector* comes from one account, VS can split the mileage spend for a trip across as many accounts as you wish.

So, two people needing to spend 100k miles each on a return flight together in Upper can actually have it split as 150k from one account and 50k from another.

Here's the cool bit... As long as you're an authorised account user (by the account holder) you can spend from another person's account for a flight they're not travelling on. So... That 200k COULD come from 4 different people's accounts (50k per sector/account) if you wanted to ^
That's no news. With almost every mileage program the acct holder can book an award for someone else. Since this can be done as 4 one way awards, it can be booked from one acct.

The unique part here is perhaps that you can be an Authorized user on someones acct, eliminating the need for the acct holder to call in.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:24 am
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Mco,mia,jfk are only 250 yq.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by jfk747
Mco,mia,jfk are only 250 yq.
That's either new or false. Surcharges are $400 each way.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Which would be about £250?

British airline - it's just as appropriate to quote YQ in £ as $.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Which would be about £250?

British airline - it's just as appropriate to quote YQ in £ as $.
True that, but it wouldn't be 'only' thats just about the highest YQ on an award in the industry (well the other direction beats it)
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I think you'll find it's amazingly similar to the YQ on BA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.