FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   UC LHR LAX query (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1378452-uc-lhr-lax-query.html)

mradey Aug 18, 2012 1:34 am

UC LHR LAX query

Hi All,

Given the current debacle over reserving seats from November I have some concerns over choice off flight returning to London from LAX.

VS008 dep 18:55 is the 747-400
VS024 dep 21:15 is the 340-600

Is VS008 upper deck mixed UC/Economy? I've never taken VS008, always seem to end up on VS024 when flying with my family. This time it's just me and I can take the earlier flight....

However. I don't want to sit in the upper deck of the 747 in either case; if I can't 'guarantee' a downstairs seat and it is mixed seating, I'll have to go with the later flight.

Advice truly appreciated,
Adey

slinky09 Aug 18, 2012 1:55 am

Yes the VS007/8 is now almost permanently a 747 with the mixed upper deck (UC / Y) - by common acclaim the nose zone of a 747 is UC is by far and away the best, but, due to VS 'upgrading' the seat request system you won't be able to request any seats at this time for flights after November 1 - so if you really dislike the upper deck then go for the later flight because you won't be able to guarantee where you sit until the new system is made available.

mradey Aug 18, 2012 11:37 am

Thank you Slinky.

I was under the mis-apprehension that it's best to avoid the mixed (UC/Y) upper deck due to lack of enforced segregation.... I may need to rethink :cool:

If I was seated in the upper deck, do I need to trot past the PE seating to the staircase?

Adey

The _Banking_Scot Aug 18, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi mradey,

sorry I clicked edit you post rather than reply.

You are correct that you have to walk through Y to get to the staircase at the back of the Upper deck on the 747-400. The Y cabin goes from the staircase to the mid cabin exit doors and U goes from the exit doors forward ( separated by a curtain)

Regards

TBS

slinky09 Aug 19, 2012 12:49 am

Originally Posted by mradey (Post 19147376)
I was under the mis-apprehension that it's best to avoid the mixed (UC/Y) upper deck due to lack of enforced segregation.... I may need to rethink :cool:

If I was seated in the upper deck, do I need to trot past the PE seating to the staircase?

That's what I was saying, avoid the upper deck and go for the nose section on the main deck, only 14 seats (the same as BA first in the same space), no foot traffic, much nicer. If you're on the upper deck it's a particular pain disembarking since you have to wait for UC downstairs, then 30+ economy passengers upstairs.

mradey Aug 19, 2012 1:30 am

Thank you Slinky and TBS for the advice and information - much appreciated.

As I can't assign my seat I think I'll go for the 346 flights. Will try the nose section when I'm sure I'll get a seat there!

Best Regards,
Adey

BA304 Aug 19, 2012 4:04 am

Originally Posted by mradey (Post 19150247)
Thank you Slinky and TBS for the advice and information - much appreciated.

As I can't assign my seat I think I'll go for the 346 flights. Will try the nose section when I'm sure I'll get a seat there!

Best Regards,
Adey

If it were me, I would probably just go for whichever time is better. It is fairly unlikely you would end up on the upper deck but I understand if you don't want to take the risk.

Threads like this show just how bad the upper deck configuration is.

MagicWok Aug 21, 2012 3:00 am

Originally Posted by BA304 (Post 19150553)
Threads like this show just how bad the upper deck configuration is.

Bad for J. Good for Y :p

at240 Aug 21, 2012 11:58 pm

Apart from the (terrific) seats in the nose, UC seating on the 747 is really not a very enticing prospect. The zone behind the nose is VERY dormitory-like. Upstairs you have the split-cabin problem.

I am generally much less bothered by what seat I get if I'm on a 346.