FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   First refurbished Gatwick 747 flies today (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1350650-first-refurbished-gatwick-747-flies-today.html)

colmc May 28, 2012 9:40 am

First refurbished Gatwick 747 flies today

G-VROM (Barbarella) has had it's refurb completed and re-enters service today. VS have uploaded video and it looks like one hell of an improvement over the current state of the Gatwick fleet, especially in Y and Y+

http://youtu.be/k1sfeX99_rc

Kinane May 28, 2012 10:26 am

Y cabin looks really nice, a huge improvement, well done VS.
Really looking forward to experiencing the updated LGW B747 fleet very soon.

slinky09 May 28, 2012 11:47 am

Agreed, it looks very stylish, with one of the best IFE's in the sky, and new PE food service to come to add to the recent improvements to UC and Y. VS is on a roll!

BA304 May 28, 2012 12:27 pm

I'm not sure they've made the right decision about splitting the UD between Y and PE and there's still such an emphasis on Y. VS seems to underperform on these routes relative to BA in J/F (unless BA has a lot of redemptions).

Nevertheless, it's a very good Y/PE product now.

EGW1 May 29, 2012 2:00 am

Originally Posted by BA304 (Post 18654762)
I'm not sure they've made the right decision about splitting the UD between Y and PE and there's still such an emphasis on Y. VS seems to underperform on these routes relative to BA in J/F (unless BA has a lot of redemptions).

Nevertheless, it's a very good Y/PE product now.

Based on what information? A very good product offering by VS and (imo) VS now has a better Y and W class comapred to BA (combined with better lounge and check in facilities). I have always preferred VS J class, but I know this is a matter of taste/preference. ^ I agree that VS is on a roll! Well done. Now I need to persuade a travel department to allow me to once again fly VS J as opposed to BA F!!!

BA304 May 29, 2012 2:16 am

Originally Posted by EGW1 (Post 18657983)
Based on what information? A very good product offering by VS and (imo) VS now has a better Y and W class comapred to BA (combined with better lounge and check in facilities). I have always preferred VS J class, but I know this is a matter of taste/preference. ^ I agree that VS is on a roll! Well done. Now I need to persuade a travel department to allow me to once again fly VS J as opposed to BA F!!!

Based on the fact that BA has at least 40 J seats (and F on some routes out of LGW) compared to Virgin's 14 seats in J.

slinky09 May 29, 2012 2:17 am

I agree and don't like the split upper deck, and why put Y behind PE there? However I understand that VS know how many PE seats it can sell (and frequently does fill) and that the space between the doors on the main deck plus half of the upper deck was the best compromise.

EGW1 May 29, 2012 4:23 am

Originally Posted by BA304 (Post 18658030)
Based on the fact that BA has at least 40 J seats (and F on some routes out of LGW) compared to Virgin's 14 seats in J.

A difference in the number of seats in J is not "underperforming", it is simply a reduced capacity in J class compared to BA. Presumably this is a result of several factors, including aircraft, class configuration etc.

BA304 May 29, 2012 4:55 am

Originally Posted by EGW1 (Post 18658417)
A difference in the number of seats in J is not "underperforming", it is simply a reduced capacity in J class compared to BA. Presumably this is a result of several factors, including aircraft, class configuration etc.

I'd say it's a a pretty good indicator of underperformance in the J/F market to the Carribbean/Orlando/Vegas (unless BA has an overwhelming majority of redemptions).

EGW1 May 29, 2012 5:39 am

Originally Posted by BA304 (Post 18658512)
I'd say it's a a pretty good indicator of underperformance in the J/F market to the Carribbean/Orlando/Vegas (unless BA has an overwhelming majority of redemptions).

It's a different business model and strategy and, for obvious reasons, VS cannot "underperform" in the F market. I take your point, disagree and leave it at that!

tonywestsider May 30, 2012 10:52 pm

Well done, VS! ^

Let's hope all the toilets get a refresh/refurb as well. ;)

clarkeysntfc May 31, 2012 4:51 am

Originally Posted by EGW1 (Post 18658645)
It's a different business model and strategy and, for obvious reasons, VS cannot "underperform" in the F market. I take your point, disagree and leave it at that!

It could be said that with only 14 UC seats on these aircraft, this enables VS to sell a greater percentage of them for a higher fare than the 40+ BA has. It also means redemptions in that cabin are very difficult.

Remember that the majority of VS' routes out of LGW are 'holiday' routes and therefore demand for Economy is going to be strongest.

Also VS will get much of its feed from tour operators (inc Virgin Hols), and it could be argued that VS' main competition out of LGW/MAN/GLA are the charter companies rather than BA. Therefore VS can sell its Econ and PE as a step up above the charters who don't even have Business Class. I believe PE is a real cash cow for VS.

BA304 May 31, 2012 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc (Post 18671862)
It could be said that with only 14 UC seats on these aircraft, this enables VS to sell a greater percentage of them for a higher fare than the 40+ BA has. It also means redemptions in that cabin are very difficult.

VS can be more expensive on these routes but the fares are often similar to BA. Admittedly, if one airline is more expensive it's more likely to be Virgin.

at240 May 31, 2012 3:19 pm

I would only use the term 'underperform' if VS had set out initially to sell a 'full' J cabin and then had to readjust the config because it found it impossible to sell the tickets. I don't think that's what happened? So presumably it is just a different revenue model. Would be interesting to know the truth about who makes more (or loses less!) money on these routes....

BA304 May 31, 2012 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by at240 (Post 18675571)
I would only use the term 'underperform' if VS had set out initially to sell a 'full' J cabin and then had to readjust the config because it found it impossible to sell the tickets. I don't think that's what happened? So presumably it is just a different revenue model. Would be interesting to know the truth about who makes more (or loses less!) money on these routes....

Presumably the current choice of a small J cabin is the most profitable for VS (especially now they've just had the opportunity to adjust it) but I equate more J with being better. :D

I don't like that BA is able to make a larger J cabin work when VS feels that it won't.

The only route that I know of where you can directly compare BA and VS in passenger numbers is LON-LAS because the CAA gives the figures by route so you can compare LHR-LAS (BA) to LGW-LAS (VS). This year BA have more passengers than VS despite using an aircraft with fewer seats and 52 J seats to Virgin's 14.

I know loads are not necessarily correlated with profit but...