Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic lets passengers make calls from the sky

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

Didn't see this posted...

USA Today: Virgin Atlantic lets passengers make calls from the sky

To me this could likely make for a bothersome in flight experience...

The airline has announced that it will become the first British airline to provide passengers the capability to make and receive phone calls during flights. Passengers also will be able to send and receive text messages, emails and have web access via GPRS.

The new service will be available in all cabins of the airline's new Airbus A330-300 aircraft and refitted Boeing 747s.
Old May 16, 2012, 2:28 am
Ambassador

I can't say I'm terribly impressed with the idea of voice calls. I was hoping they would be prohibitively expensive.

Wi-fi would have been more useful.

AeroMobile was first introduced in December but there seems to be more media attention now.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:11 am

What a nightmare, IMHO.

Have Virgin considered the law of unintended consequences?

What happens when folks realize the only place to make a private phone call out of earshot from other pax is...in the loo?

I envision a loooooooong line for loos, people crossing legs and hopping around in discomfort whilst the booming voice of a caller emanates from the other side of the locked loo door on their extended phone call.

It will take phoning pax about 1 minute to realize the loo is the one private place to speak over the phone.

That's what's going to happen, one fears.

I feel for the poor cabin crew; they're going to have to deal with the consequences of this, whilst Virgin collects the massive new phone call profits in the board room.
Old May 16, 2012, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I was watching whatever show it is on NBC after the Today Show this morning and they were talking about this.

They claim only 6 pax can use the system at a time and international roaming rates would apply. I have a feeling this WOULD NOT prevent some pax from disturbing others' peace on the plane.

Heck, I had two people across yacking for hours on my DXB-ATL flight last week and I just wanted to say, "Can you please be quite for a MINUTE???"
Old May 17, 2012, 2:31 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I don't see the big deal - this has been in operation for over 6 months... how many posts have we seen commenting on it in actual service? How many people actually use it??

Many other airlines have this service and I don't see alot of complaints.

Seems to be a storm in a tea cup!
Old May 22, 2012, 2:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Virgin Atlantic announces cellphone calls from the cabin

I have diligently searched for a previous thread discussing this week-old news:

[Edit: and now I have found the thread by scrolling rather than searching.]

Passengers on certain Virgin Atlantic flights are now able to use their cellphones to make and receive phone calls at 35,000 feet, the airline announced Tuesday [15 May 2012].

Only six passengers at a time will be able to use the system, which the airline says is intended "for use in exceptional situations." Passengers will be able to send text messages, make a call or access e-mail on mobile devices. An airline spokesman could not say how much a call would cost.

Initially, the service — which utilizes a satellite connection — will only be available for customers of European cellphone providers O2 and Vodafone and U.S. carrier T-Mobile.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47435675...ne-calls-cabin

More details, including prices in this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ic-planes.html
Old May 22, 2012, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
How did you miss this then? Twas on page 2 !

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...calls-sky.html
Old May 22, 2012, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Threads merged

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Virgin Flying Club
Old May 22, 2012, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

One of the Seven Signs of the Apocalypse. We shall now be treated to every blowhard's loud proclamations of business superiority and every hypochondriac's loud proclamations of colonic malaise throughout our trips.

Lovely.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:23 am

I do not like the idea of this, it may put me off future flights if it became annoying. There is no need for people to talk on mobiles on flights unless it is life or death, flights should be relaxing, not annoying like train journeys.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by pappap647
I do not like the idea of this, it may put me off future flights if it became annoying. There is no need for people to talk on mobiles on flights unless it is life or death, flights should be relaxing, not annoying like train journeys.

And what can anyone do in that situation anyway?

It's not like the pilot will turn the plane around because someones Aunry Aggy died or Grandad has broken his hip is it?
Old May 23, 2012, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Well you could at least start making arrangements for your immediate return, rather than having to run around like a headless chicken once you land.

(Although on a business trip once and it happened to a colleague - he landed to discover a close relative had died. The airline was great and found a seat for him on the return flight. Very grim for him though )
Old May 24, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: Silver, US Air
Just sing a happy tune!!

Bah! Humbug! I'm going to learn to sing really, really badly. And as long as they need their cellphone for business, my business is singing and I need to practice. Do you think singing the Star Spangled Banner will get me locked up? The press would just love it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.