FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   Best Seats for two in Upper Class - 747-400 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/1323013-best-seats-two-upper-class-747-400-a.html)

iain6508 Mar 9, 2012 11:23 am

Best Seats for two in Upper Class - 747-400

I’m travelling with the wife in upper class – 747-400 SFO->LHR. I’m not familiar with the seat layout, what are the best seats for two traveling together? Is there a partitian between the two middle seats?

Check seatguru, etc however no information on two traveling together.
Any input is greatly appreciated!

BA304 Mar 9, 2012 1:26 pm

The front pair in the nose is by far the best (12A/K).

Otherwise it's all a much of a muchness. I'd go for one seat in front of the other but some people prefer to be either side of the aisle.

Could be wrong but I don't think you can remove the partition between the middle pairs anymore.

at240 Mar 9, 2012 1:31 pm

iain6508

If you want to be close to someone and be able to talk, 12A & 12K is probably the best combination. The nose/'A zone' of the 747 is the best bit of the cabin to be in, so if you can't get row 12, it is probably best to get two seats in adjacent rows -- e.g. 14A and 15A, 17K and 18K. There is quite a big gap in the middle of the cabin.

Is there a partitian between the two middle seats?
I am not sure exactly where you mean, but yes there is a partition in the B zone downstairs on the 747. There isn't a partition upstairs on the 747, but I wouldn't recommend being up there in any case.

UKtravelbear Mar 9, 2012 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by BA304 (Post 18168682)

Could be wrong but I don't think you can remove the partition between the middle pairs anymore.

Correct. The removable partitions were causing too much damage to the suite so they were all made fixed (though it was only on a small number of rows where the divider between the two middle seats could be removed in any case)

iain6508 Mar 9, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks guys - 12a-12k all the way through to 17a-17k are taken - 18a/k look too far apart, are they?

So my options are one in front of the other or select two in the middle - Any suggestions?

backdoc Mar 9, 2012 7:53 pm

Here is how far apart they are...

This was taken I believe at 14k looking back towards the higher numbers, they are pretty far apart. I would get 18/19k if there is such a thing.. :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...01048954_n.jpg

Originally Posted by iain6508 (Post 18170249)
Thanks guys - 12a-12k all the way through to 17a-17k are taken - 18a/k look too far apart, are they?

So my options are one in front of the other or select two in the middle - Any suggestions?

Mercurial flyer Mar 10, 2012 2:10 am

As others have said, 12A and 12K are the best by far, these seats however do not have overhead storage but the cabin staff will store anything for you, just ask. It might be worth your while to have a good read up on UC with Virgin because they are revamping the whole UC experience. The freedom menu will be going replaced by a Grazing menu, more info to be had at the main V web site.

Etch Mar 10, 2012 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Mercurial flyer (Post 18171848)
As others have said, 12A and 12K are the best by far, these seats however do not have overhead storage but the cabin staff will store anything for you, just ask. It might be worth your while to have a good read up on UC with Virgin because they are revamping the whole UC experience. The freedom menu will be going replaced by a Grazing menu, more info to be had at the main V web site.

12 A/K are stated as the best seats for a couple travelling togther, if those are not available, then your best get is to get seats side by side. Mercurial Flyer is right, there is a new Upper Class Suite coming, at the beginning of April, the first flight to get it is one of the early morning LHR to JFK flights, I and I think it'll be a A 330. The new suite is to be rolled out across the fleet over a 3 year period. The Freedom Menu has now been replaced with a Dine and Graze menu, basically, you can have the full blown meal offering at the fixed meal time or choose to eat from the Graze Menu whenever you wish.

USAFAN Mar 10, 2012 10:32 am

Originally Posted by BA304 (Post 18168682)
The front pair in the nose is by far the best (12A/K).

Otherwise it's all a much of a muchness. I'd go for one seat in front of the other but some people prefer to be either side of the aisle.

BA304:

I an NOT very familiar with Virgin Atlantic. I fly MIA-LHR and booked 5 A+K on 747-400 conf. 4 on Upper Deck. Why? All Upper Deck 1 A+K to all other until 4 A+K where all booked. Many seats in the Lower Deck where not booked!
Did I make a mistake? I know Upper Decks on LH & BA & Swiss and liked it!

BA304 Mar 10, 2012 10:53 am

Originally Posted by USAFAN (Post 18173579)
BA304:

I an NOT very familiar with Virgin Atlantic. I fly MIA-LHR and booked 5 A+K on 747-400 conf. 4 on Upper Deck. Why? All Upper Deck 1 A+K to all other until 4 A+K where all booked. Many seats in the Lower Deck where not booked!
Did I make a mistake? I know Upper Decks on LH & BA & Swiss and liked it!

VS is probably the one airline where you don't want to be on the upper deck in J.

The upper deck is split so the rear half is Y which can create noise, traffic in the aisle and you have to wait for the Y passengers to disembark first.

The best place is the nose. Quiet cabin with not very many seats as you can see in backdoc's picture above. I prefer to be further forward but others like 19A/K which is apparently quite private.

Must have been rather breezy on a Swiss upper deck. :p

USAFAN Mar 10, 2012 11:15 am

Originally Posted by BA304 (Post 18173700)
VS is probably the one airline where you don't want to be on the upper deck in J.

The upper deck is split so the rear half is Y which can create noise, traffic in the aisle and you have to wait for the Y passengers to disembark first.

The best place is the nose. Quiet cabin with not very many seats as you can see in backdoc's picture above. I prefer to be further forward but others like 19A/K which is apparently quite private.

Must have been rather breezy on a Swiss upper deck. :p

BA304:

Just checked my flight .... they changed it to a 340-600 ... and we have now 5A & 5K and in the middle is 5D (empty). Looks like we are in a trouble now!?!

BA304 Mar 10, 2012 11:22 am

Originally Posted by USAFAN (Post 18173818)
BA304:

Just checked my flight .... they changed it to a 340-600 ... and we have now 5A & 5K and in the middle is 5D (empty). Looks like we are in a trouble now!?!

Well 5K is pretty much perfect on an A346 so is 6K available? 2-7K face a wall rather than another seat so they're a bit more private.

iain6508 Mar 10, 2012 11:36 am

We leave on Wednesday for the weekend, so the new Upper Class changes will not be in.

How can I post a picture to show what is open?

UKtravelbear Mar 10, 2012 12:41 pm

iain6508-

The updates UC meal service started last week so you will get that but not the new UC suite (which is still a few months off from being in use)

USAFAN

If 5D is empty then movewhoever is in 5K into it then you will be opposite each other

USAFAN Mar 10, 2012 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by BA304 (Post 18173854)
Well 5K is pretty much perfect on an A346 so is 6K available? 2-7K face a wall rather than another seat so they're a bit more private.

Thanks for this ... 6K was not available. But your tip both to sit in one line was great. We have now A7 & A8. That should be OK ... it's a night flight and we sleep. Thanks again!^
Anyway: A346 is not that great, mostly old! My friends who work at LH and two friends in the UK do not use A346 (if possible) ... little old and slow. BTW LH changed some smaller A346 to A330!