Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The secrets of using points in Upper Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, American, United, Virgin Atlantic, BA, JetBlue, SW, etc.
The secrets of using points in Upper Class

I have no trouble booking Premium Economy with points transferred from Am. Ex. (MCO-LGW), but there is never availability in UC even 11 months out or the date the flight opens.

If I keep calling, I sometimes get the seats.

Any better way to scope this out?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
MCO-LGW is your 'problem'

There are only 14 seats in UC on the 747s that usually run this route and if you can get paying pax into those seats then why offer them for miles?

Also when are you traveling?

You might have better luck flying on a less popular day, avoiding UK school holidays and having an odd length stay so 6 or 8 days or 13 or 15 (UK holidays are usually 7 or 14 days long)

Other than that keep searching on the website and when you see them nab them there and then as they won't be arond for very long!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 3:55 pm
Ambassador

Have you tried MIA?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:51 am

Yep, I always go via MIA when using VS miles. Flew MIA-LHR just yesterday, in fact - Upper was full, other classes about 75%.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, American, United, Virgin Atlantic, BA, JetBlue, SW, etc.
Miami?

Miami is about 6 hours from my home, or another flight from TPA or MCO.

Also a longer flight than MCO, so what is the super advantage? I can always get miles in PE right on booking if the timing is right. But UC is perplexing, since the whole deck can be empty but they don't release seats until a "magic" point.

Why is Miami easier/better? The MCO group is largely families looking for the cheap seats. Hardly any kids in PE, though a few spoiled urchins in UC last time with parents who didn't care that everyone else wanted to sleep.

And there is MIA airport...
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
There are more UC seats available into MIA, since it's out of LHR, so awards will have more availability.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Pavane
Miami is about 6 hours from my home, or another flight from TPA or MCO.

Also a longer flight than MCO, so what is the super advantage? I can always get miles in PE right on booking if the timing is right. But UC is perplexing, since the whole deck can be empty but they don't release seats until a "magic" point.

Why is Miami easier/better? The MCO group is largely families looking for the cheap seats. Hardly any kids in PE, though a few spoiled urchins in UC last time with parents who didn't care that everyone else wanted to sleep.

And there is MIA airport...
14 UC in an LGW 747
56 UC in an LHR 747 so more chance

LHR has Revivals which LGW dosen't

UC on the MCO rouute is normally very popular hence the general lack of rewards plus the higher prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.