Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upper Class Chauffer Driven Car Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Upper Class Chauffer Driven Car Questions

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone could help me with a few questions I have on the UC chauffer driven car service for a trip to NY that I have coming next year. I am going to book a ticket that includes it, but I have never used this service before, so am a little unsure on a couple of basics;

Will it show up anywhere in the "my booking" area on-line, so that I can amend timings etc if necessary?

What's the situation on tips? Not so much here in the UK, but specifically at the New York end? I'd rather not tip for it, if I'm honest, as it costs enough on the ticket - but you know how NY can be....

And when I get back to LHR, what's the process? Do I use the revivals lounge as usual then go to the car desk to request my car, or go to the desk before revivals to give them the heads-up?

Sorry if the answers are obvious to these questions but this is all new to me. I've flown UC before, but never with the chauffer service bolted on. Thanks in advance for any pointers!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:46 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
In answer to your questions:

(1) The CDC does not show up in your booking, you'll need to ring the Upper Class reservations line to provide your pick-up details and time preferred.
(2) Tips - well people have different opinions but I always tip my drive in the UK and the US, a quick rough guess of the actual fare if in a taxi or limo, then adding the appropriate amount.
(3) On return as you exit customs if you want to go straight on to your destination, the VS limo desk is right ahead under bright purple signage. If you wish to use revivals then head straight up there and let the staff member on reception know that you have a car booked, and approximately when you will want to be taken to your destination, they will sort it out for you.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Avalon is the limo company that contracts with Virgin Atlantic in the states.

It is a good idea to contact Avalon the day before to confirm the pickup.

I was left standing on the doorstep to be brought to LAX for a flight to London. When I called Virgin Atlantic they said, "you're in the system", when I called Avalon, they said "we have no record of you". So I had to ask a friend to take me on short notice. I ended up getting 5000 miles for my inconvenience, but I'd rather have had the ride.

Check with the actual company the day before.

The ticket may be included in your price but the company is just another limo company that gets paid wholesale rates by Virgin Atlantic and the drivers make their living on tips.....

Wish me luck, they are supposed to pick me up next Wed. for a trip to London/Joburg.

Steve

Originally Posted by AMDB7
Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone could help me with a few questions I have on the UC chauffer driven car service for a trip to NY that I have coming next year. I am going to book a ticket that includes it, but I have never used this service before, so am a little unsure on a couple of basics;

Will it show up anywhere in the "my booking" area on-line, so that I can amend timings etc if necessary?

What's the situation on tips? Not so much here in the UK, but specifically at the New York end? I'd rather not tip for it, if I'm honest, as it costs enough on the ticket - but you know how NY can be....

And when I get back to LHR, what's the process? Do I use the revivals lounge as usual then go to the car desk to request my car, or go to the desk before revivals to give them the heads-up?

Sorry if the answers are obvious to these questions but this is all new to me. I've flown UC before, but never with the chauffer service bolted on. Thanks in advance for any pointers!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to you both backdoc and slinky09 for your advice.

I will be sure to check the pick-up is confirmed when leaving NY - don't fancy any last-minute hassles! Hope you got picked-up today ok backdoc, for your joburg trip? Have a good one. ^
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:55 am

Upper Class Chauffer Driven Car Service Confirmed for Today

I called Avalon the day before yesterday and no reservation.

I called Avalon yesterday and everything is confirmed.

Virgin Atlantic doesn't send Avalon the reservation until the day before.

We get picked-up at 5:30pm this evening.

LAX-LHR-JNB in UC, then South African Airways to CPT.

I know we could have gone LAX-LHR-CPT on Virgin Atlantic but we didn't decide to go to CPT until the week after we purchased the tickets.

Steve
Originally Posted by AMDB7
Thanks to you both backdoc and slinky09 for your advice.

I will be sure to check the pick-up is confirmed when leaving NY - don't fancy any last-minute hassles! Hope you got picked-up today ok backdoc, for your joburg trip? Have a good one. ^
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
Isnt it much cheaper to book the ticket without the chauffeur service and arrange and confirm a decent transfer yourself which you are in complete control of at a much reduced cost (some of which can be passed on to the driver as their tip!)

These inclusive tickets seem to be the most expensive airport transfer ever. I cant understand that people are willing to fork out that kind of money and then grumble over tipping a few dollars to a driver.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dobba
Isnt it much cheaper to book the ticket without the chauffeur service and arrange and confirm a decent transfer yourself which you are in complete control of at a much reduced cost (some of which can be passed on to the driver as their tip!)

These inclusive tickets seem to be the most expensive airport transfer ever. I cant understand that people are willing to fork out that kind of money and then grumble over tipping a few dollars to a driver.
It probably is much cheaper, but this is the way I have to do it for this trip for a couple of reasons that I don't wish to explain further here. I'm sure others on the forums understand.

Respectfully, I didn't ask for advice about the cheapest options, nor did I grumble about tipping the driver; I just said that as the car service adds so much to the price, I'd rather not - assuming that the tips may be included. But that's why I called on other people's experiences and advice. If I intended not to tip then I simply wouldn't, and I'd hardly ask about it here, would I?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by dobba

Yes they are more expensive than a non CDC Z ticket but J/D/I fares do offer the ability to make changes and cancellation as well as the additional miles and TP and that might well be more important to the OP than getting a cheaper fare.

As for tipping - tip if you want to and if you do then at a level you feel comfortable at. Personally I'd think $10 would suffice (though possibly more if I had lots of luggage)
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:42 pm

No problem with the pickup.

Sitting in the Air New Zealand lounge after an uneventful ride with Avalon.

Originally Posted by backdoc
I called Avalon the day before yesterday and no reservation.

I called Avalon yesterday and everything is confirmed.

Virgin Atlantic doesn't send Avalon the reservation until the day before.

We get picked-up at 5:30pm this evening.

LAX-LHR-JNB in UC, then South African Airways to CPT.

I know we could have gone LAX-LHR-CPT on Virgin Atlantic but we didn't decide to go to CPT until the week after we purchased the tickets.

Steve
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by backdoc
Sitting in the Air New Zealand lounge after an uneventful ride with Avalon.
Good news Steve,

Glad it was un-eventful and all went to plan this time - Gives me a bit more confidence in their system!

Have a good trip. ^
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
I'm flying UC MIA-LHR using miles. Will I be able to avail CDC?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueslip
I'm flying UC MIA-LHR using miles. Will I be able to avail CDC?
Yes, but it will cost you extra miles - it doesn't come included as standard in a rewards/miles booking. I'm not sure how many miles it is, but it's a fair few thousand.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
For those who have used the service in NYC, is it essentially a glorified Dial 7 ride, or is it a upper-luxury sedan (Mercedes S, BMW 7) or limo?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:31 pm

BUMP. Thinking of booking an upper class ticket and would like to know more about the chauffeur service for those who have used it.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
BUMP. Thinking of booking an upper class ticket and would like to know more about the chauffeur service for those who have used it.
Do you have specific questions over and above what has already been said here or the information on the VS website?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.