Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight connections from T3 to T5 help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Flight connections from T3 to T5 help

Hello experts. I am a bit concerned about an upcoming connection I have this Friday morning. I am traveling UpperClass from Boston Thursday night on VS12 arriving at 7:20am Friday morning. I need to connect to T5 to catch the 8:50am departure of BA to Paris (economy). I booked as separate tickets and I know that BA and VS don't interline. I won't check bags, and I'm a fast walker.

I know that 1 1/2 hours is the minimum recommended connection time from T3 to T5, but are there any special recommendations to make my transfer as smooth as possible? I know that if my VS flight is delayed I will have a big problem. Your expect guidance or assurances would be appreciated. Special lines, secret time savers?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Arriving into T3 off VS Upper Class - you should be given a fast track pass for immigration.
To get to T5, you will need to catch the Heathrow Express train. Head for signs for Heathrow Express.. check the correct platform (there are 2) for trains to Terminal 5. Train is free; no barriers or tickets or such req.
If you're running late, speak v nicely to BA check-in in T5.. they sometimes help you with getting a later flight if you're honest, humble and pleasant.

EDIT - Yes, I am completely wrong.. see below! Sorry!
I missed the "no check bags" bit. If you had baggage, then the above applies.

Last edited by McCoy; Oct 8, 2011 at 11:00 am Reason: EDIT - Yes, I am completely wrong.. see below! Sorry!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by McCoy
Arriving into T3 off VS Upper Class - you should be given a fast track pass for immigration.
To get to T5, you will need to catch the Heathrow Express train. Head for signs for Heathrow Express.. check the correct platform (there are 2) for trains to Terminal 5. Train is free; no barriers or tickets or such req.
If you're running late, speak v nicely to BA check-in in T5.. they sometimes help you with getting a later flight if you're honest, humble and pleasant.
McCoy, this is not correct! Why would he have to clear immigration when he is in transit? This is what Flight Connections Centre is for. There is no need for him to exit "into the UK". He simply takes the bus from T3 to T5.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
This is correct. And a question.

Follow the signs that say FLIGHT CONNECTIONS, don't use the FAST TRACK voucher (keep it for another flight). As long as you're not checking bags you can scoot right to the bus to T5 and you'll make the transition. Last time I did it within 30min tops.

Originally Posted by gimme-gimme
McCoy, this is not correct! Why would he have to clear immigration when he is in transit? This is what Flight Connections Centre is for. There is no need for him to exit "into the UK". He simply takes the bus from T3 to T5.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:23 am

That's sounds exactly right!
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the assurances!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Successful Transfer!

I just wanted to report back and let you know how things played out. It took 30 mins (just like Backdoc said) to get out the front door of my aircraft, walk from what seemed like the farthest possible gate to the transfer bus, transfer to T5, get my ticket checked, head up the escalator and make it through security. I didn't really encounter a line throughout the entire process. I did use my arriving Virgin Upperclass boarding pass to get me into the Fasttrack security line once in T5 which saved me a little time. There was also a point earlier where they do a document check that I could have also possibly tried the Fasttrack line but didn't bother.

I will say, however, that I have previously gone through the T5 process before and had experience lines at every point so was happy that it was rather quiet.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 6:30 pm

:)

I'm glad it worked out since I'll be doing the same thing on Oct. 19th. It makes such a huge difference if you can just bring carry-on's since you don't have to enter the UK but just transit. The bus system works very well. Entering the country and then re-entering security after picking up checked bags is just a waste of time.

Steve

Originally Posted by brysal
I just wanted to report back and let you know how things played out. It took 30 mins (just like Backdoc said) to get out the front door of my aircraft, walk from what seemed like the farthest possible gate to the transfer bus, transfer to T5, get my ticket checked, head up the escalator and make it through security. I didn't really encounter a line throughout the entire process. I did use my arriving Virgin Upperclass boarding pass to get me into the Fasttrack security line once in T5 which saved me a little time. There was also a point earlier where they do a document check that I could have also possibly tried the Fasttrack line but didn't bother.

I will say, however, that I have previously gone through the T5 process before and had experience lines at every point so was happy that it was rather quiet.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:29 am

??

Could you explain how you used your Virgin Upper Class Boarding Pass to get you into the Fasttrack line at T5? Did you use the Fasttrack voucher you got on board or your Upper Class boarding pass?

Inquiring minds want the extra time-savings for next week!

Thanks,

Steve

Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:17 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better

Congratulations to your successful Flight Connections adventure. It's a good thing that your connecting BA flight was leaving earlier than 10 am. IMO, a BA connecting flight departing after 10 am will result in a long wait at security from the lower concourse to the upper level at T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.