Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Family travelling UC on A340 600 - best seating config?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum

Defecting from BA for an upcoming family trip to NYC, flying UC on VS001 to EWR. Currently we've been allocated seats 1D, 2A and 2D on both sectors.

We're two adults and a 5 year old. Having not seen this cabin and just referring to the seat maps these seats don't seem ideal - with 1D looking like it's off on it's own.

Can anyone give me some advice on which seats we should request, so that we can keep an eye on the young'un.

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
1D is not that far out, but I'd agree, not the best seating, I'd try for three in a row on the A side or K side, or if you like to look at each other a combo like 6 and 7 A and 7 D.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by slinky09
1D is not that far out, but I'd agree, not the best seating, I'd try for three in a row on the A side or K side, or if you like to look at each other a combo like 6 and 7 A and 7 D.
Thanks. Exactly the kind of info I needed. ^
Old Jun 23, 2011, 2:07 am

Programs: VS, LH
On the A340 -600 I would go for row A seats 11,12,13. Having sat in those myself they were nice and quiet and close enough to the toilet at the rear of the section. I would sit the 5 year old in the middle seat so you can keep an eye on him/her.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andy1234
On the A340 -600 I would go for row A seats 11,12,13. Having sat in those myself they were nice and quiet and close enough to the toilet at the rear of the section. I would sit the 5 year old in the middle seat so you can keep an eye on him/her.
This is great, but can you actually "see" them without leaning around or peering over the seat? I ask as if there's ever a need for me to, let's say "have a word" with my son it's usually when we're strapped in.

What do you think?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by thegamebird
This is great, but can you actually "see" them without leaning around or peering over the seat? I ask as if there's ever a need for me to, let's say "have a word" with my son it's usually when we're strapped in.

What do you think?
You can't really see them, no. Although my wife is only 5ft1 and she managed to see me having a good look at one of the female cabin crew as she walked past.

You would need to lean forward a bit to be able to speak over the dividing wall/seat back, but it isn't too much of an issue even when strapped in.

You could always go for A 7 and 8 for the two of you and D7 for your 5 year old, but then you would need to lean across the aisle to speak, which would be harder than sitting infront/behind.

If it was me I would just go for 3 in row A anywhere from A7 backwards.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:41 am

To give you an idea, this was the view from my seat. A very random photo, I must have been bored.

Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Fab. Thanks for this. Interesting as quite used to the BA centre seats in J and having full access to my son... maybe out of sight out of mind

He's used to flying, and as such tends to behave himself. He knows the drill and in fact chastises me if I flagrantly flaunt the seatbelt sign when it gets bumpy. May very well take your advice for three in a row.

This sortie into VS land has reignited my excitement about flying and I'm quite looking forward to it now!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: BMI Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I have flown same with an 18 months yr old who found her way into a spare seat next to us......you can see her by craning up and over....im 6ft tho.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:01 am

This is my 5ft1 wife looking over the seat. It's a very bad photo, but you can get an idea of their height.

Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Okey dokes, called VS and they have allocated us 4, 5 and 6K on both sectors. We travelling on day flights so it should be nice and light up at the front.

Thanks for all your help. As always FT comes up trumps! ^
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:18 am

Okey dokes, called VS and they have allocated us 4, 5 and 6K on both sectors. We travelling on day flights so it should be nice and light up at the front.

Good choice, facing the wall, near a toilet, far from the bar.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:23 am
Ambassador

Hi, thegamebird.

4/5/6K are my favourite seats on the A346 - away from the bar, not too close to the toilet and generally very quiet.

Despite my handle I think you should enjoy UC compared to Club.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: BMI Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Enjoy............
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?

One thing to remember with UC is that you can stay reclined during take off and landing, unlike on BA's J seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.