Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Mass brawl at 30,000 feet sees 76-year-old passenger arrested over 30-minute fight on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mass brawl at 30,000 feet sees 76-year-old passenger arrested over 30-minute fight on

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2011, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

A man aged 76 and two members of his family were arrested after a ‘vicious’ punch-up on a plane that took cabin crew 30 minutes to break up.

Derek Edmond, his daughter Zoe King and her husband Martin were on a Virgin Atlantic flight from Gatwick to Barbados when a Danish family sitting nearby accused them of being too noisy.

Police said Mrs King, 46, was celebrating her birthday and she and her family had been drinking for much of the eight-hour flight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Barbados.html
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by weekilter
A man aged 76 and two members of his family were arrested after a ‘vicious’ punch-up on a plane that took cabin crew 30 minutes to break up.

Derek Edmond, his daughter Zoe King and her husband Martin were on a Virgin Atlantic flight from Gatwick to Barbados when a Danish family sitting nearby accused them of being too noisy.

Police said Mrs King, 46, was celebrating her birthday and she and her family had been drinking for much of the eight-hour flight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Barbados.html
Disgusting behaviour!!!!!! And the fact that there were other people's children onboard who witnessed this??? The fact that Police say the family were drinking most of the flight says it all really!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently, "trailer trash" is an international phenomenon.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PTravel
Apparently, "trailer trash" is an international phenomenon.
It is beyond me why people act like that in general...yet alone an airplane at 36,000 feet??? It would be interesting to see the level of sentence given if any...
Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:25 pm

Wink

I hope they get the 2 yrs in prison. Another story to support banning alcohol in flights.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Let's hope this story has legs, it has so much potential for entertainment, comparable to the drunk young OZ lad on SQ from last year; maybe even, like that one, a video will surface shortly -- may all the details come out. In defense of those arrested, 1) children should not be allowed into Upper Class anyhow if that's where this incident occurred, there is PE for their little bodies and sensitivities, and 2) VS does after all market UC as a very "adult" experience so presumably that includes drinking oneself into a stupor, including all the intermediate phases. And if convicted, I wonder what the jail sentence will be; I may offer them sanctuary at my house out of comradeship. Out of deference, I won't comment on certain people's ultra-sensitivities when high alcohol consumption is part of their own national heritage. Can't wait for further developments.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:28 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by time2go1st
2) VS does after all market UC as a very "adult" experience so presumably that includes drinking oneself into a stupor, including all the intermediate phases.
Hey I wonder if Mrs. King got the limousine afterwards. On CX, you get a limousine after punching out ground staff even on whY http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...und-staff.html
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:32 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
presumably that includes drinking oneself into a stupor, including all the intermediate phases. And if convicted, I wonder what the jail sentence will be; I may offer them sanctuary at my house out of comradeship.
The offence here isn't that they drank. If drinking's not allowed on planes by rule then MRs and a lot of FTers' statuses will cease to exist.

In our book it's that they drank and were unable to keep it down.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:24 am

1) children should not be allowed into Upper Class anyhow if that's where this incident occurred, there is PE for their little bodies and sensitivities, and 2) VS does after all market UC as a very "adult" experience so presumably that includes drinking oneself into a stupor, including all the intermediate phases.
Was it actually in upper class?? I can't see any mention of it in the report. And lets face it VS do serve plenty of alcohol in Y if you want it.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Another report I saw referred to on a thread on the BA forum suggested it was in Y.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
Thread brings back nightmares of a very drunk, smelly girl sat next to me getting louder and more intoxicated as the flight went on.

In that instance, the flight crew didn't cut her off on the alcohol. I'm just speculating here, but wondering why the crew did not cut the alcohol off here again...
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MagicWok
Thread brings back nightmares of a very drunk, smelly girl sat next to me getting louder and more intoxicated as the flight went on.

In that instance, the flight crew didn't cut her off on the alcohol. I'm just speculating here, but wondering why the crew did not cut the alcohol off here again...
Wow! I cannot not believe it. He was an extremely drunks and he was extremely intoxicated during in-flight from LGW-BGI. His behaviors is not tolerable during in-flight. He could being banned flying on VS for existence rest of the life. He have go to prison in Caribbean and he have to stayed in sobers for 8 hours. He won't be deported from Caribbean. He wasn't aware of his flight crew is telling him to stop. He could be charges intefering with a fight crew.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage
They only spent the night in lock-up and appeared in court the next day.
The three family members were given the option of a £2000+ fine each or one month imprisonment. They paid the fine.
I doubt Barbados really wanted to waste taxes imprisoning them
Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Flying Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by Pinkypig
Was it actually in upper class?? I can't see any mention of it in the report. And lets face it VS do serve plenty of alcohol in Y if you want it.
They weren't in Upper they were in Economy. Upper pax were allowed to disembark whilst premium and economy pax had to remain on board whilst police boarded the flight.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MamaDlo
They only spent the night in lock-up and appeared in court the next day.
The three family members were given the option of a £2000+ fine each or one month imprisonment. They paid the fine.
I doubt Barbados really wanted to waste taxes imprisoning them
So you can have a 30 minute fight on board a plane at 36,000 feet in the air, disturb other passengers and all you will get is a £2000 fine! What a joke!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.