Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Advice on T1-T3 transit - Different PNRs (A3-VS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels

Starting out in Athens on Aegean using a paid Expedia ticket that arrives at LHR T1 on Wed @ 11:50 AM.

Onward flight is VS Upper Class to JFK on an award ticket departing 5:15PM

I realize I have left myself a decent amount of time (hoping to minimize transit stress & maximize Clubhouse time)

Still, I'd appreciate a heads up on what to expect & ideas to streamline the transit process.

My research leads me to believe interlining my rollerboard is impossible.

So, I'm hoping to carry on my rollerboard in ATH.

Still, I want to be prepared if Aegean insists on it being checked to LHR.

For both carryon & checked luggage situations, what's my best plan upon arrival at LHR T1 for transit to T3?

Thanks!
Old May 30, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: NZ *Gold
I'd walk using the underground walkway. Won't make much difference if you have to pick up your bag from the carousel, or if you have it with you already. No more than 15 mins for the walk itself after you have your bag.

Regards
R3dV
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Similar question, but do you need to exit through immigration, pickup checked bags, go through customs, then walk/bus to the VS terminal and return through security? What's the time look like for that? Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Originally Posted by nyc1978
Similar question, but do you need to exit through immigration, pickup checked bags, go through customs, then walk/bus to the VS terminal and return through security? What's the time look like for that? Thanks.
Same question as well. Flying in from MUC to LHR and connecting to VS with checked bags. I'm assuming LH and VS don't have an interline agreement--so would I have to exit through immigration, pickup checked bags, customs, VS terminal, recheck, then go through security again? I've built in a pretty healthy connection time.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by RedVee
I'd walk using the underground walkway. Won't make much difference if you have to pick up your bag from the carousel, or if you have it with you already. No more than 15 mins for the walk itself after you have your bag.

Regards
R3dV
Underground concourse is outside immigration and customs. Even if you have carryons with you, you will have to queue in line through immigration, get clearance and get to the concourse. Depending on time of day, the queues at immigration can be formidable unless you've built in enough transit time. If you have carryons with you and/or have interlined checked luggage, it's best to use Flight Connections, which is the walkway to connecting bus method to get from T1 to T3. This is my least favorite, but for LHR, the best way for transit passengers keeping to the airside at both terminals.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by glenny84
Same question as well. Flying in from MUC to LHR and connecting to VS with checked bags. I'm assuming LH and VS don't have an interline agreement--so would I have to exit through immigration, pickup checked bags, customs, VS terminal, recheck, then go through security again? I've built in a pretty healthy connection time.
Advice not to assume you don't have the same ticket for both LH and VS. Always check your ticket reservation number and see if there is one pnr. If you do have one ticket number for both flights, confirm with LH at check-in at MUC and ask if your bags can get checked all the way through to your final destination.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Advice not to assume you don't have the same ticket for both LH and VS. Always check your ticket reservation number and see if there is one pnr. If you do have one ticket number for both flights, confirm with LH at check-in at MUC and ask if your bags can get checked all the way through to your final destination.
Thanks for the advice. Ticket is a LH Business connecting to VS UC booked on one ticket courtesy of CO. I've heard horror stories about the wait times for flight connections to be atrocious..would it possibly be quicker to clear immigration/customs, switch terminals, then use Virgin UC checkin? Opps--just saw above where someone said that flight connections is quicker then trying to go through immigration. Thank you for the advice!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by glenny84
Thanks for the advice. Ticket is a LH Business connecting to VS UC booked on one ticket courtesy of CO. I've heard horror stories about the wait times for flight connections to be atrocious..would it possibly be quicker to clear immigration/customs, switch terminals, then use Virgin UC checkin? Opps--just saw above where someone said that flight connections is quicker then trying to go through immigration. Thank you for the advice!
Yes, that someone is yours truly. You're welcome. Please use Flight Connections because no matter if you have checked luggage or carry-ons, you will have to go through the security checkpoint at T3 to enter T3 after your Flight Connections transfer. If you don't use Flight Connections and exit immigration/customs just to get a stamp on your passport between terminals, you will still need to go through the security checkpoint at T3, which will add to your already longer transit time because you didn't use Flight Connections. Use the VS transfer desk after the T3 security checkpoint to obtain your boarding pass. There is a dedicated UC line at the transfer desk for you to use. The agent there will also write you an invitation to the VS Clubhouse, or if not, will simply give you directions to its location in T3.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:23 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
how long does it take to do this generally (using flight connections)?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:41 pm

how long does it take to do this generally (using flight connections)?
Following the OP's T1 to T3 transfers from International flight to International flight, the transfer time is 75 minutes.

See: http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0036821c0a____

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.