FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   SFO Transfers/Terminals etc (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/121901-sfo-transfers-terminals-etc.html)

LongHauler Aug 26, 2003 3:53 am

SFO Transfers/Terminals etc

Hi all, I am flying to SFO on VS (PE upstairs) on the 20/9, and have to transfer to a UA flight to Seattle some 3 hours later.

I haven't been to SFO for years, but have horrible memories of getting through immigration etc.

Are there any pearls of wisdom to getting the most out of SFO airport/between terminals, nice restauarants or viewing points etc?

Grateful for any help/info.

RichardMannion Aug 26, 2003 10:19 am

Embarrassed here as I should know such more, as I do this route a few tiems a year instead of taking the direct BA Shuttle from LHR to SEA.

- Make sure they tag your bag at LHR check-in all the way through.

When you land, you will have to clear customs/immigrations. You can then follow the transfer route, which will allow you to drop your bag back off to make its merry way to Seattle.

Then you will need to check-in again, and make your way to the other terminal for the Uited flight.

Not really much in the way of fancy restaurants, and no lounges to use either with a Priority Pass http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif. There is an okay restaurant on the back wall to the left of where you come in - reasonable prices.

Yes the immigration line can be long, but flying in W should help as you should beat the stampede that ensues. Luggage should arrive pretty quickly, as LHR normally do a good job of loading the J/W baggage into the right separate container.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Richard

The _Banking_Scot Aug 26, 2003 11:27 am

Hi,

I agree with Richard's comments. I arrived in SFO in June and we were behind a BA 747 by a few minutes ( I was in J (6A) so was one of the first off the VS flight). The lines were long but cleared custom,s and immigration in around 20-25mins ( quite good going).

Regards

TBS

House Aug 27, 2003 3:23 am

In 2001 SF opened a brand new international terminal. If your last visit was to the old international terminal then you'll be pleasantly surprised!

United's domestic US flights leave from a concourse adjacent to the International terminal (about a 5 minute walk from leaving customs to check-in).

www.flysfo.com has more details.

LongHauler Aug 27, 2003 3:34 am

Thanks for the replies, disappointing to hear that there's no Priority Pass lounges available as on the way back out we've got at least a 3 hour wait... hmmmph!

Bazz Aug 30, 2003 9:56 am

There is a new Virgin Club House at SFO it is landside right next to the departure gate. Flying Club Gold and AMEX Centurion card will get you in as PE doesn't qualify only UC. It is very good we were there in March this year.

Good Luck.

------------------
Bazz
Still Flying

RichardMannion Aug 31, 2003 7:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bazz:
There is a new Virgin Club House at SFO it is landside right next to the departure gate. Flying Club Gold and AMEX Centurion card will get you in as PE doesn't qualify only UC. It is very good we were there in March this year.

Good Luck.

</font>
You mean the SFO Clubhouse that is one floor up, but is located next to the Security to go through to the gates?

It is landside, if it was next to the gate it would actually be airside.

When you go to the lounge, they will give you a voucher so you can use the VIP queue to clear Security.

Superb clubhouse, the cocktails are excellent and the food is very good. Also home to Claire, who was the overall winner of the Virgin Heroes competition earlier in the year.

Thanks,
Richard

CT-UK Sep 1, 2003 1:26 am

The INT termianl at SFO is very nice but I have found INS can be a lon process. I have waited up to 2 hours before after coming in behind a couple of other 744's.

The transfer from the INT terminal to any domestic terminal is walkable if you want to stretch those legs a bit.

Bazz Sep 1, 2003 3:37 am

Yes your right Richard, the Clubhouse is on the left hand side as you approach security and I agree the cocktails are great, although my wife preferred the Champagne!

------------------
Bazz
Still Flying