Knitting needles on Virgin

Old Aug 23, 2003, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Knitting needles on Virgin

Aloha,
Does anyone know if it is possible to take circular bamboo knitting needles on International Virgin flights? The operative word here is bamboo...not the metal ones. These are very short needles attached to a circular cable. I know it is now allowed on USA domestic flights according to the TSA. Also, what about them on BA domestic in the UK?

Thanks for your replies, Lanikai
Old Aug 23, 2003, 7:23 pm

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
probably not - the caa took most of usa rules carbon copy
Old Aug 24, 2003, 2:15 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I agree with Jon, there seems very little flexiblility (or even common sense) used when screening baggage.

The smallest nail clippers are confiscated, and we are then presented with the perfest weapon - in the form of a wine glass - when we enjoy on in flight meal!!!

The best thing to do is give the airline a ring before you fly.

Nick
Old Aug 24, 2003, 9:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
Just a small correction for you--knitting needles are allowed on US domestic flights without any problem. I just flew with my mother LAX-IAD-LHR and had no problems. Also, see: http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...ited_Items.pdf
Old Aug 24, 2003, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your rapid replies. SNA... I used the link you provided and printed it, in case of any misunderstandings by TSA screeners. I have a feeling that I will be knitting my way to London and reading on the return.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 4:35 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Lanikai:
Thank you all for your rapid replies. SNA... I used the link you provided and printed it, in case of any misunderstandings by TSA screeners. I have a feeling that I will be knitting my way to London and reading on the return. </font>
Not necessarily true. While the TSA may let you through with them, VS Cabin Crew may take them off you. It has happened before. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum53/HTML/000786.html

I also have to say that I am glad I will not be sitting next to you on the flight. 8 hours of listening to the click, click, click, click....... of knitting would drive me insane.

------------------
Gaza's oneworld & Star Alliance Round the World Information Pages - www.rtw-info.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Gaza (edited 08-25-2003).]
Old Aug 25, 2003, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Gaza FYI, You must be thinking of the knitting your gramdmother did. Modern knitters use bamboo needles (not the old-fashioned metal ones). Also our technique is different from the "English" throwing method. The "Continental" method is more like crochet, no click at all, and very little hand and arm movement. Totally silent. I would never subject a seatmate, or myself to 8 hours of clicking needles.

[This message has been edited by Lanikai (edited 08-25-2003).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.