New route rumour - VS to Dubai?

Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:27 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic
Original Poster

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
New route rumour - VS to Dubai?

I have just been looking at the new links Pix has put into his virginflyer.com site to other discussion boards.

One of the boards has a thread about possible new routes including New Orleans and Dubai.

I have just returned from a fantastic week at Le Meridien Beach Resort and Spa in Dubai, and I have to say that I think DXB would be a great idea for VS.

Dubai is a superb place with a HUGE amount of building work taking place, both in the city and out at Jumeirah Beach. The massive Palm Island project and the huge marina developement mean that in a few years it will be a major leisure destination. The hi-tech industry is really well represented in the new Internet and Media parks, so it will be a very important business destination as well.

Has anyone any thoughts about the rumours or DXB as a destination?

Nick
Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I've always been tempted by DXB and would love to see VS fly there

( I would also like to see VS fly to anywhere in Canada)

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:52 pm

Nick - I'm so pleased you noticed

Actually, the Airwise.com VS forum is pretty active - but they are mostly Branson-bashers (a recent comment being 'twit in a monkey suit' - a very well constructed arguement, don't 'cha think?)

Looks like the main focus of derision at the moment is the SYD route.

Pix
Old Aug 21, 2003, 1:51 pm

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
I've been poking around the Airwise board too, thanks to the link on VirginFlyer (thanks pixuk!). The comment strikes me as particularly ill informed and seems to represent rather limited mental acuity. Like pixuk I've joined up to try and raise the tone a tad.

BC
Old Aug 21, 2003, 1:55 pm

Wonder how long before Mr Mannion pops up and puts the cat amongst the pigeons...
Old Aug 22, 2003, 3:03 am

Programs: Various
Hi guys,

Dubai was discussed a number of years ago as a possible route.

New Orleans would make sense as its not possible to fly direct from the UK to MSY yet. There is quite a stream of conference traffic to MSY. Not my favourite city in the slightest.

Only other thing I will add, is that Virgin will factor in routes beyond the intended destination. SEA has been looked into a number of times to compete with BA, but there is not really much past SEA as such in terms of connections. Even though I would love to see SEA as a route for obvious reasons

There was talk of re-instating the ORD route, as that obviously feeds into a huge hub of routes, and Chicago itself is a fine city for business/tourists to utilise.

YYZ was suspended too, but I recall the loads been light for the few months it was flying - I was very disappointed to have my tickets canncelled for this route as full fare W was only 950.

As a final note, there is always a lot of talk/gossip/specualtion on new routes been added - so try and take them with a pinch of salt. You know when they launch a new route, there will be a huge marketing fanfare - and some of us may be invited to go on the inaugral flight like earlier inthe year. Remember VS have just spent $80m on the new J suite, they will want to make sure that is going well...

Thanks,
Richard

P.S. Not flying tonight to Delhi now, had to reschedule - shame in my absence that a non-refundable ticket was purchased for me - and even though its paid for no miles/or tier points - oh well I'll live

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.