Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

The Virgin credit card promises '1 mile (2 miles) per £ spent' - I get 10% less

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2003, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR

Yesterday, in the same mail delivery as my Virgin credit card statement, I got a 'personal' invitation to apply for a Virgin credit card - talk about left hand and right hand .

I read the direct mail and noted again the promise of 1 mile or 2 miles per pound spent. Yet the statement in my other hand showed that I had received less than 90% of my entitlement.

OK, my main card is AmEx and the Virgin card is for those places where AmEx doesn't do nicely, so my expenditure was only £60.60.

Most card issuers would offer the equivalent of 61 points, yet Virgin give me only 54 points for this sum.

What they fail to point out is that each transaction is calculated separately at 1 mile per £ and is then rounded down.

Cheapskates - I had hoped for more transparency.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 10:37 am

They certainly don't make it clear when you sign up.

Like you I mainly use an Amex card, but this is good for all those 'other' places.

One thing is that I seem to sometimes get an odd number of miles. How can you get an odd number of miles when it's 2 for each £ spent? I asked them that and they said they could give me an explanation of why but they didn't even understand it themselves. Strange.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:26 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
This is the same way that Tesco calculates points--£4.73 in spending = 4 points.

The odd number of points can be explained by the rounding down methodology noted above. If one receives 2 points per £1 on a £60.60 purchase, 2x60.60=121.20, rounded down to 121 miles for that transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.