Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Club changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2003, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Flying Club changes

Just noticed this on my latest statement - anyone have any ideas to what might change?

Flying Club programme enhancements

Look out over the next month for the exciting news regarding changes to the flying Club programme. flying Club members can look forward to increased benefits and a more genrous mileage and tier system - So keep your eyes open in the coming weeks!
Old Jun 16, 2003, 2:43 pm

Programs: Various
There was talk about changing some of the redemption levels for reward flights.

There was discussions about making Gold level really stand out, at the same time Silver needs to be reconsidered - at the moment its just a queue jump card but then it is very easy to get to Silver....

Last time I spoke to marketing they were busy getting ready to make some changes to the program. After going through 3 program changes since been a FC member, I must say all of them have been positive.

October 2000 saw them drop the mileage redemption levels on some of the routes.

April/May 2002 saw the changes in teh tier point system and making Silver a renewable product.

One would hope they have paid close attention to the serious blunder BA have done with the Exec Club changes.

Wait and see

Thanks,
Richard

Old Jun 17, 2003, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMannion:
April/May 2002 saw the changes in teh tier point system and making Silver a renewable product.
</font>
Could you just explain the 'renewable product' comment. Does this mean that if I have Silver but do not re-qualify on points, I can renew it in some way ?
Old Jun 17, 2003, 2:17 am

Well, I booked Vegas y'day and was told that UC return is now down from 100 to 80k. Not sure when that happened, but the website still shows 100k. Part of the revamp?
Old Jun 17, 2003, 4:30 am

I think I posted about this a while ago, they were looking at pulling the redemption levels down for J class rewards.

That was after I phoned marketing and asked why Delta J rewards were cheaper.

80k for all of US would be nice, but we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Jun 17, 2003, 5:42 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
80K for Carribean would be nice too... then they could give us 40K points back for the flights I've just booked to ANU!

BC
Old Jun 17, 2003, 8:27 am

Right the changes are from 1st July:

Economy fares booked in Y, B and L now earn 125%

All other Economy earn 100% as before, N class still does not earn miles.

Gold Flying Club members will now earn a 25% mileage bonus on all revenue flights.

All the US routes are dropping to 80k for Upper Class rewards.

Tier point earning stays the same but qualification and retain levels move down!

Gold
30 to qualify
20 to retain

Silver
10 to qualify
5 to retain

Changes look very good to me, will easily make Gold again

Thanks,
Richard
Old Jun 17, 2003, 8:34 am

Wow!

That's only 2 UC returns or 3-and-a-bit PE's to re-qualify! Plus a 25% Gold mileage bonus, plus lower 'costs' on rewards. Jeeze - I'm impressed! Well done Virgin, and thanks for not doing a BA screw up of the programme.

Pix.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 9:51 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Excuse me for being a cynic, but what is the bad news?

The changes are all positive and are in line with what has been suggested at various times in this forum.

5 points to requalify for silver is very generous - one transatlantic and a partner flight over 2000 miles will do it. I guess this means that the benefits won't be increased.

20 points to requalify for gold shouts to me that another tier (Plat?) is called for to give the real (non V50) frequent flyers another goal.

Thoughts anyone?

Nick
Old Jun 17, 2003, 1:11 pm

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
richard - what about the carabean - is that falling to 80k ???
Old Jun 18, 2003, 3:00 am

Programs: Lots of shiny metallic ones.
So much for Virgin wanting to keep Gold a "premium product", and trying to increase the status of the silver cardholders then...?!
Old Jun 18, 2003, 3:14 am

Silver has always been the 'queue-jump' card.

Gold is a good offering.

I can see VS getting really strict on qualification now that the levels have been reduced, you will need to get 5 or 20 points to requalify, no excuses.

What more were you looking for, op upgrades are been reduced to an absolute minimum. With the new lower retain level for Gold, but increased mileage earning - I will be flying even more as I will now be using miles more often for J rewards.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Jun 18, 2003, 7:10 am
dnw

3 return J trips to obtain top tier status is nothing!! You need 5 on BA to get Silver and 13 to get Gold... flyingclub really has become the frequent flier program of choice for non-frequent fliers

[This message has been edited by dnw (edited 06-18-2003).]
Old Jun 18, 2003, 8:19 am

Programs: Lots of shiny metallic ones.
I do wonder how busy the Clubhouse will become with these new qualifying levels...!

&lt;IF I were a bit more cynical, I MIGHT consider reading between the lines and thinking that VS might be generating a "real top-tier" and booting the gold's out of the lounges...&gt;

Maybe they got hit a bit with the tier-points system as a result of 9/11 or Iraq - ie: not enough people re-qualified in the last year, so they've lowered it to accomodate the reduced traffic. The problem is that as a result, once passenger count picks up (which it will...), they'll be swamped with gold members and nowhere to put them pre-flight!

I was in the clubhouse before an LA flight last month, and it was packed already - I can't imagine what it'll be like if there are MORE golds...

I understand your comments about the reduction in Op-ups, Richard, but I must admit I'm very nervous of their proposed changes. There's either another agenda in there somewhere, or something's going to be very wrong in a year's time...!

&lt;How long is the PE check-in line going to be for silver card holders?!?!&gt;

[This message has been edited by preiffer (edited 06-18-2003).]
Old Jun 18, 2003, 8:22 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
this is a one year only thing according to todays conversation - numbers are down, they dont want anyone wandering off to other airlines

now for more good news - uprades are coming down in price - W to J (no k's) 40k round trip and Y/B - J 60k round trip. Aditionally companion fares come down, but only full fare allowed - no D (rats) or K) - eco rules same as always

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.