Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Joins Delta Skymiles Family

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2002, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Virgin Joins Delta Skymiles Family

Welcome Virgin Atlantic Airways

With a commitment to great service and hassle-free travel, Virgin is a welcome addition to the SkyMiles family. Starting October 1, 2002, SkyMiles members can earn miles on all qualifying Virgin flights. Earn a 100% mileage bonus on Economy Class tickets, 115% on Premium Economy Class tickets and 125% on Upper Class tickets. And between October 1 and December 15, 2002, members can earn double miles on all paid Virgin-operated flights. Flying Virgin is another great way to get yourself closer to Award Travel—and beginning October 1, you can redeem miles for Award Travel on Virgin flights as well.

Based in London, Virgin offers regular flights from several U.S. gateways to their Heathrow hub with connections to Africa, India, Australia and Asia. For information on Virgin's participation in the SkyMiles program, call the number on the back of your SkyMiles Card. For reservations and more information, visit virgin.com.

TW
Old Sep 5, 2002, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Very interesting. And all the betting was on VS joining *A.

So, fewer miles with most classes with Skymiles, but double miles to December. Now I have a dilemma: VFC or SM for my JNB trip, already booked with VS.

No mention of whether the DL miles will be status miles, so I presume the answer is No.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 5:32 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
It is a little strange, but if it brings additional passengers to VS I guess thats a good thing - not a recipricol arrangement i notice

Jon
Old Sep 5, 2002, 9:04 am

It is a reciprocal agreement. Check out the Virgin press release at
http://www.bizwire.com/isn/index.html
Old Sep 5, 2002, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Roger:
[B]Very interesting. And all the betting was on VS joining *A.

So, fewer miles with most classes with Skymiles, but double miles to December. Now I have a dilemma: VFC or SM for my JNB trip, already booked with VS.

/B]</font>
The Delta release actually says that the LHR-JNB route will not get you Skymiles. That's probably because of SAA?

Old Sep 5, 2002, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The announcement on the VS website;

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/press...?press_id=1491

Regards
TBS
Old Sep 5, 2002, 1:17 pm
Original Member

Virgin used to have a limited tie in with DL back in the 90s before they went over to CO. It will be interesting to see if they end the relationship with either CO or BMI.

I would just raise one small concern - Are we going to see reward price rises this year? If appears to me that VS miles are worth slightly more than Delta miles e.g. 50k for a VS economy ticket using Delta, but 40k using VS miles. or 1000 VS miles per double dip stay at a Hilton against 500 delta miles.
I'm sure there are examples where Delta is better value.

[This message has been edited by Tim_T (edited 09-05-2002).]
Old Sep 5, 2002, 2:10 pm
Original Member

Location: New York - DL Gold, AA Gold, AC Prestige, VS Silver
Delta is a better value ex. USA.
For example USA-India is 120K in business class. On VS, that requires two separate awards, USA-London 80K, London-India 100K.

VS Upper Class is admittedly much better, but 60K is a big difference. In comparison, USA-India is 110K on BA.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Would Premium Economy be a good option for those of us who are short a few tens of thousands of miles for Upper Class/Business Elite, but do have the miles for a Prem Econ ticket? Are the seats wider than coach? Is it equivalent to anything in the states (Jetblue? Midwest Express? DL's domestic first class?)

Thnx in advance.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 2:57 pm

I suppose that helps tie up us domestic coverage, and help shifting the bucket and spade brigade around florida
Old Sep 5, 2002, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi empedocles,

Premium Economy (PE) seats are slighty wider than standard economy seats and have around 38" of pitch with headrests and foot rests. On the 747-400 it is 2-2 on the Upper Deck so tend to be quieter than economy and the window seats have storage containers . Food is of economy standard but you get priority boarding and disembarcation, priority luggage handling, better service on board arm rests are fixed, champagne upon boarding.

Better than jetblue and midwest express ( probably, no experience of those) and do not know about DL domestic first.

It is good value especially if you get a discounted fare (K class on Virgin)

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 5, 2002, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The _Banking_Scot:
It is good value especially if you get a discounted fare (K class on Virgin)

Regards

TBS
</font>
Is K class on VS a PE seat? I had thought it was only W.

Old Sep 5, 2002, 5:03 pm

K are the advance purchase PE fares - with a minimum 21 days advance purchase
Old Sep 6, 2002, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by noah:
The Delta release actually says that the LHR-JNB route will not get you Skymiles. That's probably because of SAA?

</font>
Thanks, Noah. So that's one decision I won't have to make.

Old Sep 9, 2002, 2:16 am

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
I have about 23000 miles with Virgin Atlantic. Could they be transferred to my Delta account with this new partnership???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.