Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Clubhouse Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2000, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Virgin Clubhouse Lounge Access

I have read indications that UK Amex Platinum Card holders are invited to use the clubhouse when flying VS, even in coach.

Is that true? And, if so, have any US based Platinum Card holders been able to enjoy this priviledge?

I know I haven't posted for awhile...I'm in business school now, but will be traveling to London next week for interviews. I'm on a super cheap student fare of $459.00, booked in X class.

Thanks!

SD (nay NYC) Flyer
Old Aug 15, 2000, 4:51 am

Programs: Various
Hi,

Yes it is true, UK Platinum AMEX card holders can get in to the Clubhouses regardless of class of travel. However it is limited to one person per card (Which is a bit of a sore point, we also get a free Priority Pass (www.prioritypass.com) which gets us in to another 330 lounges free of charge.

I don't think that US holders enjoy the same benefit as you can get in to some lounges that we supposedly can't but then I can't see any aesthetical difference between a US and UK Platinum card. Just try it!

The same also applies to British Midland and TWA lounges.

One point to note though is that you must have a ticket for the relevant airline, you can't go in the Virgin Clubhouse if you're flying with BA.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 28, 2000, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

I will try to post a trip report soon...but to add closure to this issue.

JFK: No access with Amex platinum. Hostess said UK members only. (I assumed she just knew I was American.)

LGW: No access. Hostess knew my card was not UK issued by the first few account numbers (i.e. 3732 XXXXXX XXXXX is a US based card). Also, the Robert Harrigan??? suite displayed an AMEX logo, but wanted GBP 15 for entrance. The hostess was insisting that this offer was the result of a special arrangement with American Express, but she then admitted any joe can pay 15 pounds for entrance.

Bottom line: CO let me in the very quiet, very nice Presidents Club with my Platinum Card. They asked what flight I was on but did not check my ticket. I said VS17. They either assumed I was on the CO code share 4417 or didn't really care. There was only one other family in the club.

BTW, Amex UK does provide all the same lounge benefits as US card (NW,TW,CO), plus same day access on Virgin and British Midland, plus Priority Pass membership! Leaves us "US" with the shorter end of the stick.
Old Aug 28, 2000, 3:42 pm

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
July 4th 1776, your fault, remember

Stewart.
Old Oct 19, 2000, 12:27 pm

I recently got on to this site, I am a silver FC member but have to pay for my fares myself, going to the uSA 3or 4 times a year to Air Shows etc.
The Platinum card appealed to me but it does cost 245 english pounds, I've sent for details and I'l let you know what I think. First thoughts are that 245 is a lot to go in th lounges half a dozen times, however, I do believe it includes travel insurance. FLY SAFE Paul
Old Oct 19, 2000, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Welcome Paul...enjoy the boards.

I'm now interviewing for a position in London and will probably be traveling accross the pond again soon. Hopefully, the firm will put me on VS, and I will be able to check out these lounges finally!
Old Oct 20, 2000, 10:58 am

Originally posted by SD Flyer:
Welcome Paul...enjoy the boards.

I'm now interviewing for a position in London and will probably be traveling accross the pond again soon. Hopefully, the firm will put me on VS, and I will be able to check out these lounges finally!
Old Oct 20, 2000, 11:02 am

Programs: Various
Paul,

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

The American Express Platinum card is Ł225 and includes the following benefits:-

-1 Free Full Membership to Priority Pass
-3 Platinum Cards (2 for the main card holder to sep bus and pers, and 1 cad for a partner/spouse/colleague etc.)
-4 Gold or Green Supplementary Cards
-Full Comprehensive Travel insurance for all immediate family members of the cardholder, as well as the supplementary cardholders. The best thing is that this is regardless of whether you pay for the travel/trips on your AMEX.( It even includes Winter Sports cover with Off-piste skiing)
-Free access to the Virgin/British Midland and TWA lounges regardless of class of travel, but you must be flying with that particular airline.
-Concierge Service which can be useful if you are lazy or want them to arrnge an outing for yourself.
-Companion Seats/Upgrades on the AMEX airlines
-Gold VIP Membership of Hilton HHonors
-Free Membership of Membership Rewards
+ some other benefits.

In my opion, it is definetely worth the annual fee, but I guess it depends on how much you travel and how much you spend on your card. But as a small benchmark I fly around 6-8 times a year at the most, and 2-3 of them are with Virgin and I think its worth it as the Clubhouses are unreal, the only other people in htere are the people flying UpperClass or People with Flying Club Gold status (Which requires a good few roundtrips per year in UpperClass or a ridiculous number of Economy flights per year).

Hope this helps,
Richard

Old Oct 20, 2000, 11:04 am

I see you live in SD, I'll be coming over on VS007 all being well at the end of February, I visit El Centro to see the Blue Angels practising, then perhaps visit Miramar and sit on Coronado beach and watch the aircraft landing at North Island. I want to stay at the Del for one night, any tips on how to get a nice discount!
Last February I got an economy ticket for 165 english pounds plus 55 pounds tax RETURN!
If I go back on VS023 this is an Airbus 340 but I prefer the 747-400. Paul
Old Oct 20, 2000, 11:15 am

Richard,
Many thanks for that info, I perhaps make three round trips with Virgin to the USA each year. If I stick the wife on the platinum and get her to pay me 50 quid for her travel insurance that will help with the cost. As it happens my annual travel insurance expires shortly so I may give it a go.
Any idea what type of snacks or drinks are available in the lounges? I know at LAX it costs about 4 quid for a large beer in the airport bar, I think it''s called Cheers bar, and I have 4 or 5 to help me sleep on the return flight.
Plus at LHR Garfunkles restaurant is now a bookshop! so I'll need to find somewhere else for a nibble. Rgds Paul
Old Oct 20, 2000, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Paul, enjoy San Diego. You are definitely making the right plans. I actually like the A340 of VS, but only for exit row seats. Great video set-up! I've not flown the 744, only the 742 series with them

I am now living in New York, but have been somewhat "missing" from the boards as a regular contributor. I'm now in school and have been reluctant to use my new handle, NYC Flyer...hopefullly soon to be LON Flyer...but we'll see!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.