Wiki Posts
Search

Best 744 Upper Class Seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Best 744 Upper Class Seat

I spent a lot of time looking at the V-Flyer site for specific seat reviews. Tons of very informative trip reports, but very few seat reviews either listed on their own or as part of the trip report.

I will be in UC on VS002 late June of this year (using CO miles on the CO codeshare). About a month ago the A/C changed from an A346 to a B744. I was originally in the Snooze Zone on the 346 in 2A. Since the Snooze Zone is on the upper deck of the 744, and I would be behind the Y folks getting off the plane, I decided to situate myself in the pointy end, specifically 19A.

So now I am asking you VS experts your favorite UC seat on the 744 and why. I have experienced the new UC seat twice, both times in the upper deck when the rear of the UD was a much less densely populated PE.

Also, as a secondary question, is the currently scheduled 2h 50m timeframe between my arrival in LHR and my connecting flight on BMI to EDI out of T1 sufficient for a stopover in Revivals?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 1:40 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
The 6/7 rows are my favourites, but it isn't something to get too hung up on in my opinion. A seat is a seat, and it is the other variables, that you have no control over that will make or break your flight.

How attentive are the crew? Do you have the neighbour from hell next to you? Is the menu to your liking? etc. etc. YMMV.

With regards to the 2 hours 50 minutes, my personal view would be it isn't long enough, but again the variables that are out of your control will decide.
How long are you stacked for? How long held before you get to a gate, and then the big one - the queue in Immigration!

Given that you also have to get to T1, I wouldn't hold out much hope, but I have never done it, so will leave it to those who have to give a more informed opinion.

Nick
Old Mar 9, 2011, 4:18 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
19A (or 19K) are, IMO, the best seats on a 747. Spacious, only one neighbour, in the nose, partially obscured by the wardrobe from the opposite seats, near (but not to near) the loos! I choose A or K depending on whether the sun is on my side or not.

s to 2hrs 50mins - are you a US citizen, that may slow you down about at the arrival time of the VS2, then a sprint to T1 - if you get access to the BMI lounge I believe it is now very good (has it go showers, I think yes), so you may be better heading there?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slinky09
19A (or 19K) are, IMO, the best seats on a 747. Spacious, only one neighbour, in the nose, partially obscured by the wardrobe from the opposite seats, near (but not to near) the loos! I choose A or K depending on whether the sun is on my side or not.

s to 2hrs 50mins - are you a US citizen, that may slow you down about at the arrival time of the VS2, then a sprint to T1 - if you get access to the BMI lounge I believe it is now very good (has it go showers, I think yes), so you may be better heading there?
I am a US citizen. And if I remember correctly, there is an international BMI lounge, which has showers available, and a domestic BMI lounge which does not, in T1. Since I'm only flying LHR-EDI, I'm sure I wouldn't be given access to the international business lounge. I am flying domestic business to EDI. Maybe we'll have a great jetstream on the TATL and I'll arrive a bit early. It will be what it will be.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Apologies if I'm missing something but I just checked the seat map for my upcoming JFK-LHR flight (Now a VS046 as my booked VS10 was canceled )

The 744 Vers. 4 has no row 6/7?

If your recommendation was for a different config, do you have any preferences for a solo UC flyer on a 744 Version 4?

thanks

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
The 6/7 rows are my favourites, but it isn't something to get too hung up on in my opinion. A seat is a seat, and it is the other variables, that you have no control over that will make or break your flight.

How attentive are the crew? Do you have the neighbour from hell next to you? Is the menu to your liking? etc. etc. YMMV.

With regards to the 2 hours 50 minutes, my personal view would be it isn't long enough, but again the variables that are out of your control will decide.
How long are you stacked for? How long held before you get to a gate, and then the big one - the queue in Immigration!

Given that you also have to get to T1, I wouldn't hold out much hope, but I have never done it, so will leave it to those who have to give a more informed opinion.

Nick
Old May 12, 2011, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Well VS changed my aircraft again. Originally on a VS002 A346. That changed to the B744. Then I changed to VS012 in order to get into LHR earlier and meet a friend. That was a B744 until today. VS012 is now an A346. Had 2A on the first 346, switched to 19A on both 744's, now have 5K on the 346 from BOS. How is 5K? I was looking forward to the semi-privacy of 19A. Right now, nobody in 6K and the snooze zone (1-4) shows fulls on KVS.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:52 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by JerseySlime
Well VS changed my aircraft again. Originally on a VS002 A346. That changed to the B744. Then I changed to VS012 in order to get into LHR earlier and meet a friend. That was a B744 until today. VS012 is now an A346. Had 2A on the first 346, switched to 19A on both 744's, now have 5K on the 346 from BOS. How is 5K? I was looking forward to the semi-privacy of 19A. Right now, nobody in 6K and the snooze zone (1-4) shows fulls on KVS.
5K is a great seat with nobody facing you, so a good degree of privacy. Enjoy.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:06 pm

Is seat 5A better than 4A on VS002 (747-400 from EWR->LHR)

Just booked for flying out in August on VS002 from EWR->LHR 920pm departure.
I spoke to the Virgin Atlantic rep on the phone and she recommended that I get an A seat instead of K seat and that since it's a late nite flight, to choose the snooze zone in upper deck (seats 1-5, either A or K). She recommended 5A and said this would be further away from the toilet. But when I checked on-line, I notice that 5A is the last row in the upper deck before there is an exit section/partition and then there are economy seats in the back on the upper deck.
So couple of questions - is it better to move my seats up to 4A instead of 5A or there really is a big enough distance from UC to the economy section in upper deck?
Would it actually be better to take an UC seat downstair instead where it is all UC section in the front/nose of the plane?

Separately, I am returning on a A340-600 (LHR->JFK) and the seat she gave me is 9A, which looks to be decent in that it is smack in the middle of the UC section and supposedly (according to the agent) it won't be facing anyone. Is there a better seat than that or any seat is about that same for the A368-400?

Thanks in advance for any help/advise. This is my first trip on virgin's UC so am really looking forward to it (and hopefully the EWR clubhouse and LHR clubhouse are all worth getting to the airport early)
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:23 pm
Ambassador

9A is perfectly fine for the A346 - a lot of people (including myself) like 4/5/6K but 9A should be good.

In my opinion, the nose is by far the best option for UC on a 744. The B section on the main deck is also fine and I've not had problems sleeping there.

I've not done a snooze zone flight upstairs with the UC/Y split but I'd imagine some of the benefit may be negated by the need for food service (with the lights on) in the Y section. Someone else can probably provide more info.

If I were you I'd switch to somewhere on the main deck.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:21 pm

Thanks BA304. So if I was to change the seat on the 744 to the nose, any recommendation for seats there? right now they show 15A thru 18A available as well as 14K, 16/17K. Is it better to be further up front? What is the B section?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:52 am
Ambassador

The B section is the UC cabin between door 1 and door 2 (behind the nose).

I'd go for row 15 or 16. They're far enough forward without being too close to the seat on the opposite side of the cabin.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:31 pm

Ok. changed my seat assignment on the outbound VS002 (747-400) to 16A. Thanks again for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.