Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Booked Award Travel. Can I cancel the booking and receive a refund of taxes and Fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked Award Travel. Can I cancel the booking and receive a refund of taxes and Fees?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond

I booked an award traval from LHR-IAD for Jan 3rd but I found award on BA for my desired destination on LHR-PHL. Will VS refund me the fees and taxes if I cancel the award travel.

Thanks
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Yes, for 25% of the miles spent and I think a cancellation charge of £25.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by slinky09
Yes, for 25% of the miles spent and I think a cancellation charge of £25.
Thanks. So they are going to deduct 25% of the miles used for the award travel plus a monetary charge of 25 GBP..Correct?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Not sure about the miles, but on my last e-ticket for a miles booking it says

Changes Charge gbp 25.00/usd 50.00.
Cancellations Before departure charge gbp 30.00/usd 50.00 for cancel.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:06 am

Programs: NZ *Gold
You might be too late for miles recredit?

T&C's are quite specific. 75% miles will be returned for cancellations OUTSIDE of 7 days, within 7 days no miles will be returned. I guess outside 7 days means -8 days before - today is 27 Dec - travel on 3rd - you're cutting it really fine.

4.2.1 Once reward tickets are issued, you may amend your travel date, route or class of service prior to travel for an amendment fee of £25 for changes in the UK, US$50 for changes in the US or local currency equivalent of US$50 for changes in any other region. Where the reward is a companion ticket and the person travelling on the paying ticket changes his or her flight or class of travel, the companion ticket may be similarly amended for the same amendment fees, subject to availability of seats and other conditions laid down by Virgin Atlantic.

Once tickets are issued, no name changes are allowed. If for any reason a flight reward is not taken up outside 7 days prior to departure, 75% of the miles will be recredited to the member's account. A cancellation fee of £30 for changes in the UK, US$50 for changes in the US or local currency equivalent of US$50 for changes in any other region will apply. If for any reason a flight reward is not taken up inside 7 days of departure, no miles will be refunded and a refund administration fee of £30 will be charged. Once travel has commenced miles cannot be refunded. Miles are not refundable and changes or revalidation are not permitted in case of no-show.

Regards
R3Dv
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedVee
T&C's are quite specific. 75% miles will be returned for cancellations OUTSIDE of 7 days, within 7 days no miles will be returned. I guess outside 7 days means -8 days before - today is 27 Dec - travel on 3rd - you're cutting it really fine.

4.2.1 Once reward tickets are issued, you may amend your travel date, route or class of service prior to travel for an amendment fee of £25 for changes in the UK, US$50 for changes in the US or local currency equivalent of US$50 for changes in any other region. Where the reward is a companion ticket and the person travelling on the paying ticket changes his or her flight or class of travel, the companion ticket may be similarly amended for the same amendment fees, subject to availability of seats and other conditions laid down by Virgin Atlantic.

Once tickets are issued, no name changes are allowed. If for any reason a flight reward is not taken up outside 7 days prior to departure, 75% of the miles will be recredited to the member's account. A cancellation fee of £30 for changes in the UK, US$50 for changes in the US or local currency equivalent of US$50 for changes in any other region will apply. If for any reason a flight reward is not taken up inside 7 days of departure, no miles will be refunded and a refund administration fee of £30 will be charged. Once travel has commenced miles cannot be refunded. Miles are not refundable and changes or revalidation are not permitted in case of no-show.

Regards
R3Dv
RedVee,

You are correct. I finally got through to a VS rep on the phone after trying for teh past three days. I was told no crediting of miles and a $50 charge 9which is ok for me) but the no miles credited part was too much to take in. Thus, I lost it all and any hopes of VS ever seeing my butt on their plane. My miles were accumulated flying in UC. No more!!!

While VS is a good airline, this farcade of a rule pretty much does it for me. BA, AA, CO/UA it is for travel to and from the Atlantic from JFK/EWR/PHL.

Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:01 am

Well after reading the rules, I think you were too hasty...

I don't know if its possible, someone chime in here, but wouldn't it be possible to change the flight to the same one say 2 months in the future for the change fee of $50 and then later just cancel it (more than 7 days out from departure) to receive 75% of the miles back (for another $50 fee) ?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:07 am

Programs: NZ *Gold
Originally Posted by NYC1K
RedVee,

You are correct. I finally got through to a VS rep on the phone after trying for teh past three days. I was told no crediting of miles and a $50 charge 9which is ok for me) but the no miles credited part was too much to take in. Thus, I lost it all and any hopes of VS ever seeing my butt on their plane. My miles were accumulated flying in UC. No more!!!

While VS is a good airline, this farcade of a rule pretty much does it for me. BA, AA, CO/UA it is for travel to and from the Atlantic from JFK/EWR/PHL.

I would be tempted to email in and explain that you had actively been trying to cancel within the relevant period. Virgin's website is acknowledging the unprecendented levels of calls (weather related) have stretched its capacity severely "We have pulled in all available resources to our call centres all over the world in order to handle the high numbers of calls we are receiving from disrupted passengers, however holding times are very long."

Not sure if Catch 23's suggestion would have worked, but don't see why not. On revenue fares, if you pay to upgrade a non cancellable fare to a cancellable one, and then cancel, you only get back the fare difference. But on miles I don't think they would track.

A painful lesson - but you're not the first person to get p*ssed off by something where the onus really was on you to understand the T&Cs of the programme, sorry if that sounds harsh.

Regards
R3dV
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

I thought about writing but I'm not going to. They can keep the miles and I learned a valuable lesson flying them.

When all else fails, I will stick to an American flagged airline(AA, UA, and CAL in that order). Their redemption policies, albeit somewhat hard to find a decnet award seat as of late, is still fair and well documented.

VS just lost a bunch of JFK-LHR-JFK C-Class business I planned on doing to obtain Gold status in 2011.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Catch23
I don't know if its possible, someone chime in here, but wouldn't it be possible to change the flight to the same one say 2 months in the future for the change fee of $50 and then later just cancel it (more than 7 days out from departure) to receive 75% of the miles back (for another $50 fee) ?
Yes, it's definitely possible. In fact, I had a phone agent suggest it to me when I was caught off guard by this 7-day rule (which I've never experienced anywhere else).
Old Oct 30, 2011, 4:07 am

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
Originally Posted by RedVee

Regards
R3Dv
It says you can change route. We have 2 UC awards HKG-LHR that we may not use now. Does this mean we can change to LHR-LAX ?

Also are the fees still waived for Gold card members?

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dhoward
It says you can change route. We have 2 UC awards HKG-LHR that we may not use now. Does this mean we can change to LHR-LAX ?

Also are the fees still waived for Gold card members?

Thanks
Still wondering about if there are any fee waivers for Gold members? Also, what if you book an award for a basic member from a Gold card member account? Does the waiver still apply?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Still wondering about if there are any fee waivers for Gold members? Also, what if you book an award for a basic member from a Gold card member account? Does the waiver still apply?
I had a look at the T&Cs for mileage bookings and I actually couldn't find any mention of the fee waiver, which is odd because I thought I read on vflyer recently that it was still applicable. So: not sure about that one and thus (by definition) I can't answer the second question either. Sorry not to be more helpful.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:37 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by at240
I had a look at the T&Cs for mileage bookings and I actually couldn't find any mention of the fee waiver...........l.
ISTBC, but I don't think it was ever an official policy written in the T&C. It was just one of those nice things that VS used to do for Golds, when they actually seemed to want to keep their loyal regular customers.

In the 'old days' they also used to have quite a few gold card events, and they also had a few other unwritten perks, and the occasional nice freebie. They also used to op-up golds on a regular basis, and generally make them feel valued.

Now all they seem to do for 'valued loyal customers' is sting us with massive fuel surcharges on redemption flights.

Hey ho - worse things happen at sea.

Nick
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Yes, it's definitely possible. In fact, I had a phone agent suggest it to me when I was caught off guard by this 7-day rule (which I've never experienced anywhere else).
I am wondering if this is still possible.

I have currently a booking in such a situation.

They seem to have added into their T & C:
"If for any reason a flight reward is cancelled less than 7 days prior to departure, no Miles will be refunded and no fee will be charged. If you change the original travel date (within 7 days of departure) and later decide to cancel your flights, you will forfeit the mileage used for the reward"

Can anyone confirm that it worked recently?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.