Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aw
Listing of Trip Reports Written About VX / Virgin America
NOTE: Wikis are community property; please help update the information in this wiki.

Just post a link to your Trip Report, or write a mini report of your Virgin America trip in this thread so a link can be added here.

JFK
LAS
SAN
SEA
SFO
YYZ
General
Virgin America: remove the makeup and you'll find ugly
Virgin America - Lots of hype, not much substance
Which is Better: United Economy Plus or Virgin America Main Cabin?
Is Virgin America New Y Seat Better Than SQ New Y?
Goodbye TED!

(Thanks, AZ Travels the World, for re-titling this thread. Please add your links below, to Trip Reports or VX mini report threads. ^)

Last updated 27 Jul 2010 by BiziBB.

Thanks to BiziBB, who started this thread, and ShortHairFrancis.
Print Wikipost

VX Trip Reports [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
The 19.7" seat width on the A320 is measured armrest to armrest (a convenient marketing ploy by VX), whereas 17" on the 737 excludes the armrests. The A320 Y seat is only about three quarters of an inch wider compared to the 737.
OK... but it's still wider at 17.75" (and any wider at ALL still makes a difference in coach). Thanks for correcting me on that, then (I grabbed stats from SeatGuru).
Old May 12, 2008, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, SEA-LAX and LAX-SEA. With Bullet Points!
  • Flew Mach Daddy going down... didn't catch the name going up. They awarded a free drink as a contest award to the person who could tell the name going down.
  • They had a new menu item in F going down- a ragout with whole carrots and gnocchi. It was tasty. Apparently they are going to switch the menu over soon.
  • Plane loads were almost full going down, full going up. I was able to snag F for $50 during OLCI each way.
  • My seatmates in F a) both flew Alaska on a regular basis and b) were completely impressed with VX, enough so that they aren't interested going back, if VX is flying to where AS is going. For the record, this is pretty much the reaction ANY time an AS MVP/MVPG flies in VX first, on all of my flights.
  • VX flight crews are still able to use Westin vans, but yes, there is some tension between the AS and VX crews. I wonder how both of them being in T3 eventually is going to work out...
Old May 14, 2008, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Deleted since the post below links to the full trip report.

Last edited by EIPremier; Jun 4, 2008 at 1:50 am
Old Jun 2, 2008, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
In Trip Reports, there is:
NY, NY in Y (on VX) (May 29, thanks EIPremier)
A round trip freebie return ticket. ^
Old Jun 3, 2008, 4:28 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
This is a Lounge Report...

On 1 June, as a VX pax at SFO, I bought a pass to the VS Clubhouse. The price was expensive but when I got to the Clubhouse, all I can say is WOW! All the drinks you want are included. I was the only pax in the Clubhouse. If you arrive before 3:30 pm, which I should have but didn't, you can order meals. Yes, unlike other U.S. airline lounges, there are meals at the VS Clubhouse. And the meals are included in your Clubhouse pass as the same as all VS UC pax ordering the same meals. The Clubhouse staff were also aware of my flight time as they would come over to gently advise me that I had 15 minutes before boarding my VX flight.

I knew that another VX flight from SFO-SEA left earlier. If I were on that flight, I would have bought a pass to the VS Clubhouse and ordered a meal and drinks. I noticed that other posts were noting that AS should be worried. Given the service quality that I had at the VS Clubhouse this past Sunday, and a decent flight on VX in addition to that, I will agree. If I were AS, I would be very worried...

The VX pass to the VS Clubhouse in SFO is impressive!
Old Jun 7, 2008, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
I was the only pax in the Clubhouse.
If I were AS, I would be very worried...
Old Jun 7, 2008, 5:47 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better

To clarify your quote of my post, I was writing about the quality of the Clubhouse together with the overall service quality in Y of VX and not popularity of the Clubhouse and that AS should be worried. "I was the only pax in the Clubhouse" is a separate issue. Entrance into the VS Clubhouse is still highly restricted if you are a VS pax, however, you can buy a pass if you are a VX pax, regardless of class of service.

Note that I got to the VS Clubhouse AFTER VS FC passengers boarded their flight to LHR. Secondly, a VX flight to SEA had already departed. So therefore, the VS Clubhouse emptied out when I got there, FYI.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:39 pm

VX Trip Report

Not quite sure what the format for trip reports is, so I apologize in advance for any errors. Much of this isn't the trip, as the total VX experience.

I typically fly United out of IAD, but this time did a multi-segment trip: IAD-SFO, SFO-LAX, LAX-IAD.

- I booked travel via corporate travel, then went to the VX website to sign up for Elevate. When I signed up, I used my first initial, but my travel booked as my first name. Because of this "first name" discrepancy I could never synch my Elevate number w/my travel, until I called a representative who had to edit my first name in the Elevate database.

- I was never able to get seat assignment to work online. I had to call VX to get that. I was able to print out my first two boarding passes online, however.
- At the gate, I was able to move from a forward window to an exit middle, w/out charge. However the ticket printer at the gate wasn't working (the gate attendants kept asking me to check back to see if it was), so I never got a new boarding pass (ok with me, but they seemed a bit bothered by that). They let me on the flight with my original boarding pass, however.
- Seatguru has row 9 B-D as reclining, but I discovered that they did not. However, at 6'1" I prefer the extra legroom, even from the middle seat. Our takeoff was delayed about 75 min (weather issue) and I found the seats seemed to lean a bit forward while the plane was on the ground, which was a bit uncomfortable. Once we were airborne it was OK.
- On the first leg, flight 462 on 6/8, the Red system wasn't working after takeoff. I hadn't eaten, as I had heard about the meal ordering system, so I got pretty hungry. The flight crew rebooted the system 4 times (not sure why they thought the 3rd and 4th reboot would work, when the 1st and 2nd boot didn't). One could see the Linux kernel and processes load, and see one of the errant processes fail to load, but I didn't really expect the flight crew to know/catch this. This flight was almost completely full, fwiw.
- I was able to sweet talk one of the FAs out of a G&T on the first pass through, but she gave me a cup of tonic and a bottle of gin. Not sure how she expected me to drink this (there are bars in DC that do the opposite, give you a glass of gin and a bottle of tonic ). After I had finished my first drink I asked a second FA for more tonic, cup and ice (I had mistakenly given up my cup), and she hurriedly threw me a can of tonic. Only later did I get the cup and ice (with another gin).
- There were rumors in the cabin about how to get a meal out of one of the FAs (and even if they had enough meals). I went to the back and (politely) asked for one, to be told that because of my seat (9B) I needed to get mine for the 1st class FA. Eventually he moved down the aisle distributing meals, but he was never clear if these were free or not. My (ESL) seatmate decided against a meal, because of the payment confusion. I got the "antipasto salad " which was really some nice (not brown) romaine with folded slices of lunch meat on top, so OK but not great. I didn't pay for it or the 2 G&Ts, however.
- I brought my laptop w/movies and my ipod so Red not working wasn't a problem for me. However I did appreciate the coach power plugs, although they are a bit awkward to attach to.
- At the end of the flight the chief FA said on the intercom that, because Red wasn't working, everyone in coach would get a $25 credit and FC would get a $50 credit. A friend of mine was in FC and they did get food/drink.
- I was able to use FC toilet (twice!).

- Second leg was flight 1839 on 6/9. No problems there, but some of the SFO trains have VX listed in Intl Terminal A and other have it in Intl Terminal G (my flights arrived/departed from Intl Terminal A). Red was working and I was able to order a drink through that (had to finally test it out!).
- Didn't try to use FC toilet.

- Third leg was supposed to be flight 616 on 6/11. However I could never see that 3rd leg on the VX website, although there was a link to it when I signed in under my (now synched) Elevate number. So I had to call VX again, and discovered that I had mistakingly booked it on 6/10 (oopsie!). Although VX had raised their rebooking fee to $75, they honored the $40 rebooking fee that was in place when I originally booked the tickets.
- I again booked exit middle and had to pay for it ($50, as it was "premium" and "long haul"). However my $25 "credit" wasn't available, so I couldn't apply it to the $50 seat assignment. Bummer.
- I was still unable to see this leg on the VX website, so had to print the boarding pass at LAX. While doing that I asked the gate attendant (is that the right term, if they're before security?) for other seat options. She said that a closer, aisle was available. I asked if I would get my $50 charge back, and she said that no, it would show up as a credit on my account, as VX has a policy of not returning money (this might not be an exact quote). I was flabbergasted, but decided to stay in row 10 rather then let VX keep my money and not provide any service for it (I considered taking the forward seat and disputing the CC charge).
- The flight switched gates (LAX 67B) but apparently I missed the announcement. How about a sign, people? This was certainly a stealth boarding process.
- The flight was only about 1/4 full, and the FAs were encouraging people to move around. The person in 3C had moved back (there was a crying baby in row 4) so the FA offered it to me.
- Red was (allegedly) working on this, and I was able to order food and drink. But the free beverages are just a cup-full (I'm a "want the whole can" kind of guy). Also, my "credit" didn't seem to matter in food ordering either.
- I found the music on Red to be "stuttering", sometimes so bad that it was unlistenable. No credits, however.

Other Red thoughts:
- I was disappointed that you couldn't save/retrieve playlists, as I had to create another one when I changed seats. Wouldn't it be cool if you could create playlists online and have them available at your seat?
- I'd also like to be able to share playlists, and see what the most popular songs played are.
- The chat was cumbersome, as there's a lot of setup involved, and you need to know someone else's seat number. I didn't play with it enough to see if there is a "plane-wide" chat room, but if it was there it wasn't obvious.
- I was exited to see Doom in the games, but the controller isn't well suited for that game (I use keyboard/mouse for FPS games at home).

Other VX comments:
- Everyone working at VX was very polite (and happy) almost all the time.
- The FAs seemed very young, as if this was the first job for many of them. On my first flight, they were especially clueless as to what to do when Red went down. On my last leg there was a more mature FA (said she had Horizon experience).
- The phone people were great. Quick pick up (just say "agent"!), knew their stuff, made it happen fast, etc. Don't know what VX does to get customer service reps like that, but they should pay them enough to keep them around.
- All the seats seemed narrow to me (I'm 6'1 and 200 lbs). And the armrests! They have a slot in the middle for the Red controller access, and it makes them very uncomfortable if they need to be shared.
- The seat pockets seem pretty small to me as well. But maybe I travel w/too much stuff. Here's what I put in them: Bose headphones in case, bottle of water, magazine, sometimes trade paperback book.
- Red seems to be very buggy. And annoying. For example, I pause a song, but still have my headphones on. The FA makes an announcement (which is sent through Red also). When she's done, the song unpauses. Who programmed that?
- High proportion of travelers seemed to be tourists, as opposed to worker bees. However the overheads never got completely full, there was always room up there.

Bottom line:
Overall a neutral experience. An interesting airline that I wouldn't avoid, but neither would I specifically seek out. I do like having non-stop cross country options, however.

And I encourage everyone of you to fly it IAD-SFO so that United will bring their ticket prices down on that flight!

Hope this isn't too long, or too redundant with other posts.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:23 pm

Good report. A couple of comments:

Originally Posted by mpcrider
No problems there, but some of the SFO trains have VX listed in Intl Terminal A and other have it in Intl Terminal G (my flights arrived/departed from Intl Terminal A).
Are you sure about this? I imagine I've been on all of the trains and they've all said "A" (all of the VX flights are from A).

I asked if I would get my $50 charge back, and she said that no, it would show up as a credit on my account, as VX has a policy of not returning money (this might not be an exact quote). I was flabbergasted, but decided to stay in row 10 rather then let VX keep my money and not provide any service for it (I considered taking the forward seat and disputing the CC charge).
You may be confused about this. They give you a credit that's tied to your eleVAte account, and you can apply this to any future charge you would normally make with the ticketing agent (that's what they're called). This includes tickets, club room access, standby upgrades, premium seat upgrades, etc. I've had a couple of thousand dollars in these and have used them without a problem. If you're talking about actually "cashing" them out, you're correct, and you can't do that (same as B6 and others).

Other Red thoughts:
- I was disappointed that you couldn't save/retrieve playlists, as I had to create another one when I changed seats. Wouldn't it be cool if you could create playlists online and have them available at your seat?
There is currently a disabled feature where you can set up your playlist on a flight, and the subsequent times you fly on VX is will already be at your seat, based on your eleVAte number.

- The chat was cumbersome, as there's a lot of setup involved, and you need to know someone else's seat number. I didn't play with it enough to see if there is a "plane-wide" chat room, but if it was there it wasn't obvious.
The "plane-wide" chat room is the most visible choice (in my opinion). The seat-to-seat chat is an alternative option. The setup is not very cumbersome, as you just need to agree to not use foul language, etc., and then enter your name.

- The seat pockets seem pretty small to me as well. But maybe I travel w/too much stuff. Here's what I put in them: Bose headphones in case, bottle of water, magazine, sometimes trade paperback book.
It's not just you. The pockets are very small.

- Red seems to be very buggy. And annoying. For example, I pause a song, but still have my headphones on. The FA makes an announcement (which is sent through Red also). When she's done, the song unpauses. Who programmed that?
Typical bad-programmer bug. Interesting to note that the iPhone has the same bug.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by aviators99
Good report. A couple of comments:

Are you sure about this? I imagine I've been on all of the trains and they've all said "A" (all of the VX flights are from A).
Pretty sure. I saw this on the train going from the terminal to the rental car stop and was surprised as I had gotten off the VX flight and had not yet got to the terminal stop listed. But as it was around 1pm ET I can't be sure.

Originally Posted by aviators99
You may be confused about this. They give you a credit that's tied to your eleVAte account, and you can apply this to any future charge you would normally make with the ticketing agent (that's what they're called). This includes tickets, club room access, standby upgrades, premium seat upgrades, etc. I've had a couple of thousand dollars in these and have used them without a problem. If you're talking about actually "cashing" them out, you're correct, and you can't do that (same as B6 and others).
I think either I wrote this out wrong or you misunderstood me. Here's what happened:
- I got a seat assignement in row 10 on Mon, via the phone, and paid $50 from my cc.
- On Tue, at the ticket counter, I was told that an aisle seat, non-premium, and closer to the front was available. Before I accepted this new seat, I asked if I could get my $50 back (paid for the seat upgrade <24 hrs before, wasn't going to use it). I was basically told (not an exact quote), "Once Virgin America gets any money from you, we only give it back as a credit, not a refund". But said politely.

That just seems wrong to me. I was "turning in" a service, e.g. releasing the seat, but they weren't "turning back" my money. I can understand not refunding the $25 "Sorry Red was broken" money, but this was my money, and they were free to resell the service (seat upgrade) to someone else. Not the biggest deal, but a bad policy, imho.

Speaking of which, I likewise don't understand the "no cash" policy, especially when Red is broken. I look at my money and it says "good for all debts, public and private", and I think that should trump VX's policy (as I said, especially when their payment systems is broken). That said, I'm not a lawyer, and neither were any of the FAs on that flight (I don't believe).

Regards.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:14 pm

Pretty sure. I saw this on the train going from the terminal to the rental car stop and was surprised as I had gotten off the VX flight and had not yet got to the terminal stop listed. But as it was around 1pm ET I can't be sure.

I think either I wrote this out wrong or you misunderstood me. Here's what happened:
- I got a seat assignement in row 10 on Mon, via the phone, and paid $50 from my cc.
- On Tue, at the ticket counter, I was told that an aisle seat, non-premium, and closer to the front was available. Before I accepted this new seat, I asked if I could get my $50 back (paid for the seat upgrade <24 hrs before, wasn't going to use it). I was basically told (not an exact quote), "Once Virgin America gets any money from you, we only give it back as a credit, not a refund". But said politely.

That just seems wrong to me. I was "turning in" a service, e.g. releasing the seat, but they weren't "turning back" my money. I can understand not refunding the $25 "Sorry Red was broken" money, but this was my money, and they were free to resell the service (seat upgrade) to someone else. Not the biggest deal, but a bad policy, imho.
I understand. But just making sure you understand that if you ever fly VX again you can use the money as cash. The way it was written, it was hard to tell.

Speaking of which, I likewise don't understand the "no cash" policy, especially when Red is broken. I look at my money and it says "good for all debts, public and private", and I think that should trump VX's policy (as I said, especially when their payment systems is broken). That said, I'm not a lawyer, and neither were any of the FAs on that flight (I don't believe).

Regards.
You're right. The no cash policy assumes that Red works. So, they have no means to accept and deposit cash. They really need to fix Red.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:57 pm

How is that a bug?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a bug because Red isn't telling the "user paused song, so wait for the user to hit play again" scenario apart from the "FA paused song for announcement, start playing when announcement is done" scenario, and is automagically starting the song again for BOTH scenarios after the FA announcement. Red should be waiting for the user to hit play again in the first scenario.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's a bug because Red isn't telling the "user paused song, so wait for the user to hit play again" scenario apart from the "FA paused song for announcement, start playing when announcement is done" scenario, and is automagically starting the song again for BOTH scenarios after the FA announcement. Red should be waiting for the user to hit play again in the first scenario.
Sounds like the second "PA" pause is disregarded:

Red gets a pause event from the user (state: paused)
Red gets a pause event from the PA (state: paused)
Red gets an unpause event from the PA (state: unpaused)

A very simple solution would be to store the current pause state before the PA announcement and then restore it after. It should have been picked up and fixed during testing (I guess that is what you have a 'beta' phase for).

Red gets a pause event from the user (state: paused)
Red gets a pause event from the PA (state: paused, previous state: paused)
Red gets an unpause event from the PA (state: <previous state> [paused])

or:

Red is playing (state: unpaused)
Red gets a pause event from the PA (state: paused, previous state: unpaused)
Red gets an unpause event from the PA (state: <previous state> [unpaused])
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
How is that a bug?
It's a bug because a FA announcement shouldn't change my last selection (pause).

I think either (1) after a FA announcement, Red goes back to default (play); or (2) in order to push through the FA announcement, Red needs to be in a "play" mode, and after the announcement it switches back to music, but in "play" mode.

When Red switches from music, to FA announcement, then back to music, it should remember my last selection (pause). Likewise it shouldn't move to a random or default piece of music (it's not doing that, but I'm saying that to illustrate the bug).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.