Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Alaska MVP upgrades on Virgin America flights

Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:57 am
Original Poster

I purchased two flights via alaskaair.com that operate on Virgin America metal. According to the member benefits on Alaska, Virgin offers "complimentary upgrades to Main Cabin Select up to 12 hours prior to flight, when space is available" but says "opt-in required*" by calling Virgin after booking on alaskaair.com. I have called several times about opting in on my itinerary and everyone I talk to doesn't seem to understand what I am trying to do. The answers I get are to call back when the 24-hour check-in window opens or call Alaska. And Alaska just refers me back to Virgin and I get stuck in the matrix.

Does anyone else have this issue? Or am I misunderstanding the benefit and how to unlock it? @missydarlin

Thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
When you say "two flights", does that mean (2) flights for yourself, or (2) tickets for you and a traveling companion? If the latter, that's your problem:

If you book your Virgin America flights on alaskaair.com, visit the Manage page on virginamerica.com after completing your booking to opt-in, or opt-in with an agent when checking in at the airport.

Note that by opting-in in to Main Cabin Select upgrades, you may be assigned an exit row or a middle seat. Main Cabin Select upgrades are available only to the member; companions are not eligible:

If available, MVP's will be granted the upgrade up to 12 hours before departure. MVP Gold and Gold 75K's will be granted the upgrade 24 hours before departure. Upgrades are cleared in order of tier, then time of booking.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:58 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

You also can send a Twitter DM to opt-in to the MCS waitlist.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - they were two separate flights for myself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.