Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self-upgraders to Main Cabin Select

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Self-upgraders to Main Cabin Select

When will they stop? Will the merger change anything? Virgin, afaik, has not cared at all about this when row 3/10 has empty seats. Why bother charging for these seats if there's no enforcement?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keitherson
When will they stop? Will the merger change anything? Virgin, afaik, has not cared at all about this when row 3/10 has empty seats. Why bother charging for these seats if there's no enforcement?
I've been on about 20 VX fights this year and have not seen a single self upgrader to MCS. I've seen FA's move some people into it but never to a middle seat.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
There was someone who moved into an MCS seat across from me over half way through the flight (available aisle exit row). She was challenged by the FA and the woman explained she was just sitting there due to a neighboring passenger temporarily getting up or needing space or something like that and she would return shortly. After about 5 minutes she did.

I appreciate the FA challenging in this case.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Yesterday I was in 3F, had the entire row to myself, and a woman from 4E moved into 3D. And sat there the entire flight, even ordered food. Moved shortly after doors closed and FAs werent around.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Usually FAs and sometimes gate agents make a round predeparture. I have seen people try and move but the FA has always challenged them. This may be unrelated but I have seen self upgraders to AS premium several challenges and the FAs have said nothing.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
This happened on MCO/SFO a few weeks ago. The FAs were polite and said these seats are reserved for Elites or paid upgrades, and offered to sell them the upgrade via the seatback tv. Person saw the price and moved back to their middle seat.

On Alaska, I've seen a few seat poachers; the FA's take notice during the drink service and ask them to return to their original seat.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Similar experience to UAPremierExec day before on LAX-JFK redeye.

Someone sat down in an MCS seat not long after takeoff. One of the FA's quickly showed up and explained that it was a paid upgrade. I didn't catch all of the conversation but I think the sittee was just waiting for someone to return from the lav or something like that so first FA let it go temporarily. The scene repeated itself a few moments later when one of the other FA's with the drinks cart came by. Sittee returned to somewhere further in the back shortly afterwards. I thought it was handled well.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Opposite on LAX-IAD redeye. One person moved back to 10D shortly after takeoff. I suspect 10C also did the same prior to door closure. Entire row except for me was vacant at boarding according to the GA. FA's didn't say anything or seem to notice.

F cabin was empty on this flight yet the comforters had been pulled out of the bags and the seats appear to have been occupied inflight.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Opposite on LAX-IAD redeye. One person moved back to 10D shortly after takeoff. I suspect 10C also did the same prior to door closure. Entire row except for me was vacant at boarding according to the GA. FA's didn't say anything or seem to notice.

F cabin was empty on this flight yet the comforters had been pulled out of the bags and the seats appear to have been occupied inflight.
So weird to see ANY open seats in F on red-eye trans con....can't wait for AS to include VX aircraft in unlimited elite upgrades.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
So weird to see ANY open seats in F on red-eye trans con....can't wait for AS to include VX aircraft in unlimited elite upgrades.
VX employee got F on my redeye last night. Sorry for them when employee class becomes no more.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by CDKing
VX employee got F on my redeye last night. Sorry for them when employee class becomes no more.
That is odd and goes against a long held policy that F is only for revenue passengers and paid upgrades. Even the CEO a while back would only fly in MCS.

I met the VP of Sales on one flight and she was in MCS. I asked why she was not in F and she explained the policy in detail to me.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
Do you know for a fact they didn’t pay for F?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
VX non-rev travel policy now permits AAG staff + eligibles can now fly in F if open at time of departure. Used to be NO ONE got up there.
FluxTZ likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
VX non-rev travel policy now permits AAG staff + eligibles can now fly in F if open at time of departure. Used to be NO ONE got up there.
That's idiotic. They allow their staff to sit up there but not their elites?

Can you provide a source for this info?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
That's idiotic. They allow their staff to sit up there but not their elites?
You can sit up there any time you'd like if you want to pay the money for it. Or you can wait six months for all the VX flights to become AS flights and get all the comp upgrades you are entitled to.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 20, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.