Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

AK codeshares on VX metal - Main Cabin Select?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

Trying to book another award ticket on AK

Apparently, you cant book VX MCS flights , only regular coach and F

Any insight on booking into MCS from the AK website?
Old May 8, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by caseminole
Trying to book another award ticket on AK

Apparently, you cant book VX MCS flights , only regular coach and F

Any insight on booking into MCS from the AK website?
A point of clarification: AK is the IATA code for Air Asia. The IATA code for Alaska Airlines (similar to Virgin America's VX) is AS. AK is also the postal state code for Alaska (which probably leads people to assume the IATA code for Alaska Airlines might be the same) but it has nothing to do with Alaska Airlines as far as IATA code goes.

The recommendation would be to book MCS from virginamerica.com at the moment.

I would strongly suggest posting questions like this in the following thread, which is monitored by AS employee and FT mod missydarlin:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ons-missy.html

She may be able to give insight on when those changes could happen. At present only First Class and Main Cabin are bookable. Elevate Gold should be recognized on the VX record locator.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
A point of clarification: AK is the IATA code for Air Asia. The IATA code for Alaska Airlines (similar to Virgin America's VX) is AS. AK is also the postal state code for Alaska (which probably leads people to assume the IATA code for Alaska Airlines might be the same) but it has nothing to do with Alaska Airlines as far as IATA code goes.

I would strongly suggest posting questions like this in the following thread, which is monitored by AS employee and FT mod missydarlin:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ons-missy.html

She may be able to give insight on when those changes could happen. At present only First Class and Main Cabin are bookable. Elevate Gold should be recognized on the VX record locator.
Oops!

My bad, thanks!

I definitely will
Old May 8, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador

FWIW: I have also tried to book an award flight in coach on AS, and then upgrade to paid MCS as an elevate gold member. I was hoping the system would charge me the difference in standard coach cost. No dice.

After adding the itinerary to my elevate profile, the system did recognize and then let me select preferred seating.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

It should be possible to book MCS in September.

Also, some anecdotal evidence of AS elites obtaining MCS seats at the VX gate on an ad-hoc basis. Not policy, but it happens.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by dayone
It should be possible to book MCS in September.
Any insight on if this is possible yet? MCS is only $9 higher than coach but ai want to book it on AS. Is it possible yet?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. MCS now shows on VX flights on Alaskaair.com.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Yes. MCS now shows on VX flights on Alaskaair.com.
Hmm, I'm not seeing them. It shows on the VX site but the same flight on AS site only shows coach and first. Is there a secret hiding place?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You got me. This is what I see on alaskaair.com, using Mac OS X/Chrome, no special tricks.

Note that if you're looking at dates AFTER VX goes away (4/24/2018), MCS isn't being sold because there are only AS flight, no VX flights, thus no MCS.

Also note that this does not apply to awards- only Main Cabin and First are possible awards.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:56 pm

You got me. This is what I see on alaskaair.com, using Mac OS X/Chrome, no special tricks.

Note that if you're looking at dates AFTER VX goes away (4/24/2018), MCS isn't being sold because there are only AS flight, no VX flights, thus no MCS.

Also note that this does not apply to awards- only Main Cabin and First are possible awards.
I wonder if it is route specific? I can see it on SFO-LAX as in your example but not SFO-HNL over multiple dates even when MCS is available on VX.com.
Attached Images   
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't look like AS sells MCS on Hawaii or Mexico routes. They'll happily sell on SFO-JFK, but not SFO-SJD or SFO-OGG.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(They also won't sell MCS on SFO-LAX-JFK or any route where there's a connection, even if it's VX to VX.)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:06 pm

It doesn't look like AS sells MCS on Hawaii or Mexico routes. They'll happily sell on SFO-JFK, but not SFO-SJD or SFO-OGG.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(They also won't sell MCS on SFO-LAX-JFK or any route where there's a connection, even if it's VX to VX.)
Well that just sucks.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:48 am

So continuing on the above, I am looking for YVR-HNL. Since VX does not fly to YVR, I need to use AS to get to (or part way to) SFO or LAX. Then I want to connect to a VX flight SFO/LAX-HNL in MCS. How can I possibly book this using either the AS or the VX site to preserve my MVPG free changes? If I can't buy MCS on alaskaair.com and I can't buy AS flights on virginamerica.com, how the heck am I supposed to do this on one ticket when I can't buy the whole thing on either site? The connection in SFO is 2 hours so I'd rather not have this on 2 separate tickets just in case of IRROPS.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
So continuing on the above, I am looking for YVR-HNL. Since VX does not fly to YVR, I need to use AS to get to (or part way to) SFO or LAX. Then I want to connect to a VX flight SFO/LAX-HNL in MCS. How can I possibly book this using either the AS or the VX site to preserve my MVPG free changes? If I can't buy MCS on alaskaair.com and I can't buy AS flights on virginamerica.com, how the heck am I supposed to do this on one ticket when I can't buy the whole thing on either site? The connection in SFO is 2 hours so I'd rather not have this on 2 separate tickets just in case of IRROPS.
Pretty sure AS is going to take care of you if an AS plane makes you late for a VX flight. It’s not like some other airline is in the mix here.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:22 am

Pretty sure AS is going to take care of you if an AS plane makes you late for a VX flight. It’s not like some other airline is in the mix here.
True. But if I could book MCS on alaskaair.com, I could use my companion cert. It works for other destinations. Why, oh why can't they sell MCS to Hawaii??

Last edited by Finkface; Oct 21, 2017 at 3:25 pm Reason: Removed far-too-big screenshot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.