Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Link to transfer Virgin points to Alaska.

https://buy.points.com/marketing/ala.../landing-page/
Print Wikipost

1.3 is conversion rate to Mileageplan

Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
Just chiming in here too...but if you have the SPG card, it's 2x points on points purchases also. So you could factor that in for a little bit additional savings/points.
Here is a better deal. Take your Chase Freedom and go to Walgreens and get a $500 VGC with the $4.95 purchase fee. = 2500 UR

Then use that VGC and buy the 20k starpoints for $455. Then go treat yourself and the lady to a nice dinner and pat yourself on the back.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I was unaware that the SPG card gave double points for points.com purchases.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It makes it more attractive to buy lower F fares.
While killings off the last remaining reason to take VX on premium transcontinental routes. Now they have a weaker product at a much higher price point earning less status points and requiring many more flights to get status with AS. Nice recipe to turn that into loss making capacity quickly.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I was unaware that the SPG card gave double points for points.com purchases.
It's only spg points purchased through points.com with the spg card. Not just points.com in general unfortunately. But still nice if you're going to do it.

Here's direct from the FAQ on buying starpoints:

"Which credit cards may I use to purchase Starpoints?
You may use any valid American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, JCB or Diners Club card. If you use the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express to purchase Starpoints, you will earn additional Starpoints for the dollars you charge on the card."
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Jeffmiyagi
Here is a better deal. Take your Chase Freedom and go to Walgreens and get a $500 VGC with the $4.95 purchase fee. = 2500 UR

Then use that VGC and buy the 20k starpoints for $455. Then go treat yourself and the lady to a nice dinner and pat yourself on the back.
A noble approach as well.^
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by shza
The arbitrage play now is SPG-->VX-->AS, if you're so inclined, as it now yields a 30% bonus over going straight SPG-->AS.

Better Deal: Transfer SPG to Marriott reward points 1:3 ratio. So, 90,000 SPG -> 270,000 Marriott. Use Marriott points to purchase "Nights and Flights" reward deal. Get 120,000 AS points PLUS 7 nights in Cat 1-5 Marriott Hotel.

This is best use of SPG points.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:02 pm

Transfer from SPG to VX doesn't seem to work right now...
Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:31 pm

The option to transfer from SPG to VX has been eliminated.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by tth6133
Permanently?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
Permanently?
Seems permanent to me, probably at Alaska's request.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Well, given that Elevate's going to be eliminated permanently, why on earth would SPG and AS bring the option back?

I suspect they both realized 20k SPG -> 25k VX -> 32.5k AS was problematic especially since at the moment a number of people can buy SPG at 50% discount thanks to SPG's latest buy points promo. This was in effect buying AS miles at 1.1 cpm ($350 for 20k SPG->32.5k AS). AS has a history of looking at large SPG dumps into brand new AS accounts rather suspiciously.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Well, given that Elevate's going to be eliminated permanently, why on earth would SPG and AS bring the option back?

I suspect they both realized 20k SPG -> 25k VX -> 32.5k AS was problematic especially since at the moment a number of people can buy SPG at 50% discount thanks to SPG's latest buy points promo. This was in effect buying AS miles at 1.1 cpm ($350 for 20k SPG->32.5k AS). AS has a history of looking at large SPG dumps into brand new AS accounts rather suspiciously.
It was a fairly lucrative option and your probably correct in that a lot of activity was taking place. Being the 21st it was shut down fast.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by tth6133
Worked for me just now. Transfer your points now!
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
How did you do it? I don't see that option from the pull-down menu.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hiima
VX is no longer on the list of SPG transfer partners--only VS is. As I stated in some thread earlier, I knew they would cut this off quickly. Ever since the EK "loop hole" which AS shut down, they are quite vigilant in cutting off people transferring points to take advantage of any "good deals" in Mileage Plan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.