Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Checked bags - interline with JAL - Separate Tickets

Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, SPG

I know Virgin America and Japan Airlines have an interline agreement. Going FLL - LAX - NRT. Will Virgin check the bags all the way to Tokyo if FLL - LAX(VX) and LAX - NRT(JAL) are on separate tickets?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:22 am

If you bought separately - then no. (I recently experienced this firsthand)
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vision4bg
If you bought separately - then no. (I recently experienced this firsthand)
Is this something that would not be allowed at all by the system or would it be at the discretion of the agent? We have a 2.5 hour layover, which should be fine to pick up bags and re-check, but it wont hurt to try or sweet talk an agent if it is possible on their end to do on separate tickets.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Peetyrd
Is this something that would not be allowed at all by the system or would it be at the discretion of the agent? We have a 2.5 hour layover, which should be fine to pick up bags and re-check, but it wont hurt to try or sweet talk an agent if it is possible on their end to do on separate tickets.
I wouldn't count on it. It's not the normal way it's done by any airline.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cringle
It sure was the norm. It wasn't until this past June that AA put out a press release announcing a policy change to not allow through checked baggage on seperate tickets.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by cringle
Threre are still some air lines that will do this. AS will, and they will even allow you to apply your international flight's baggage limit to the separately ticketed AS flight.

AA just ended this practice recently. HA ended it a year or two ago.

Last edited by Aliquot; Oct 1, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.