Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Experience redeeming VX miles on International Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience redeeming VX miles on International Partners

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:01 pm

My booking experience : Emirates award with VA elevate points.

1) Checked expertflyer for seats before hand and confirmed flight/date etc.

2) Phone call to VA was quick and pleasant. All my followup (pestering ) calls have been handled so pleasantly. As I described earlier the agent only charged me $60.4 for taxes on MEL-SIN business tkt (although the website says it is $245).

3) It is easier if each passenger has a VA elevate membership no. so that name etc can be retrieved from there.

4) 2 mins to check seats , another 5 mins to complete reservation. At the end of the call I was provided with VA and EK booking ref#.

5) 1 hour later I got an EK confirmation email with tkts attached as Pdf docs. HOWEVER, the pdf documents were just empty with no tickets.

6) EK manage booking site showed booking status as confirmed and eticket= None.

7) Called back VA to ensure if everything was alright. They told me that with EK awards you do not get tickets issued. Only an email will follow 24 or 48hrs prior to checkin - which is when you can change seats etc. I also asked if there was any merit in calling emirates to check if booking was confirmed. They said sure and at this point they also gave me ticket numbers starting with 9xx for reference.

8) Emirates call center asked for my booking ref and looked at it and told me, ticket has not yet been issued. When I gave them the tkt no.s they put me on hold and came back to tell me yep - it is confirmed. The tkt status is none because we do not provide any tkts for VA awards. They also told me that I could chg seats only during check-in, but re-assured booking is confirmed.

Just put out the details cuz I couldnt find a thread on EK bookings. Hope anyone who've booked EK awards can confirm if what the agents have relayed is indeed the way it is supposed to work. Attached tix for ref.

Sorry for being paranoid - i have connecting flights from SIN-LAX (on SQ J ) that I dont want EK to screw up by surprising me during MEL-SIN check-in.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Give it a few days for ticket to get issued. If not issued after 4-5 days then call up VA again.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Just booked Business Class LAX-BNE on VA for 12/29. No muss, no fuss, called up VA and got seat 3A. Fees were about $30 (which strikes me as just being airport taxes and the like). Turned around and cancelled the ticket I'd booked through DL (which has been refunded, since they can't handle vouchers/Delta Dollars in CAD). Even accounting for the $450 refund fee on the DL end of things, I'm thrilled beyond belief that this came together.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Just booked Business Class LAX-BNE on VA for 12/29. No muss, no fuss, called up VA and got seat 3A. Fees were about $30 (which strikes me as just being airport taxes and the like). Turned around and cancelled the ticket I'd booked through DL (which has been refunded, since they can't handle vouchers/Delta Dollars in CAD). Even accounting for the $450 refund fee on the DL end of things, I'm thrilled beyond belief that this came together.
Very nice redemption! There is still 1 Business Class award seat available on that flight (VA8 on 12/29). Plenty of seats tomorrow (Xmas Eve) and 2 on Sunday (Xmas Day) too.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by VAFlyerSAN
Very nice redemption! There is still 1 Business Class award seat available on that flight (VA8 on 12/29). Plenty of seats tomorrow (Xmas Eve) and 2 on Sunday (Xmas Day) too.
i guess this just proves that VX points are best redeemed for US-BNE/SYD at the very "last minute"

i presume most who did that actually have back up plans
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:39 pm

what do you mean by $450 refund fee? do you mean you still have to pay a penalty of $450 for canceling the DL flight you booked?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I think that after AS "integrated" VX, VX has the same fee system as AS. As in, they don't push fuel surcharges.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by gnomey
what do you mean by $450 refund fee? do you mean you still have to pay a penalty of $450 for canceling the DL flight you booked?
Well, here's the thing: It's the exact same flight, just rebooked as an award redemption via VX as opposed to as a codeshare via DL. FWIW, from what I can tell, booking via DL (as opposed to VA) enabled both the "proper" refund and kept the fee to CAD600 (roughly USD450) rather than the USD600 that I think VA would've hit me for.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:10 pm

Well, here's the thing: It's the exact same flight, just rebooked as an award redemption via VX as opposed to as a codeshare via DL. FWIW, from what I can tell, booking via DL (as opposed to VA) enabled both the "proper" refund and kept the fee to CAD600 (roughly USD450) rather than the USD600 that I think VA would've hit me for.
oh, i see. didnt know this part. was thinking of using VX points to redeem US-Aust flights too (these VX points came about during the whole jetblue promo) but not sure if will end up actually doing so since last min booking cant work well for me

plus since AS has now allowed the conversion of 1:1.3, this opens up more possibility that my VX points wont go to drain
Old Dec 24, 2016, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
So what would be the best way to get the excess YQ charged on awards that we have yet to take?
Old Dec 24, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Virgin America "burn desk" claims you must book Virgin Australia award tickets 72hrs prior to the flight making it difficult for last minute bookings. Escalating to a supervisor they called Virgin Australia and allowed the time to be cut down to 24-48hrs to ticket. It was worth pursuing to get Business Class on Virgin Australia. They now allow access to the Etihad lounge at LAX with a Business Class ticket.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:03 am

Virgin America "burn desk" claims you must book Virgin Australia award tickets 72hrs prior to the flight making it difficult for last minute bookings. Escalating to a supervisor they called Virgin Australia and allowed the time to be cut down to 24-48hrs to ticket. It was worth pursuing to get Business Class on Virgin Australia. They now allow access to the Etihad lounge at LAX with a Business Class ticket.
They claim 72 hours, but in my experience it's instantaneous.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
So it looks like redemption to SQ are dead. Tried a simple HKG-SIN segment for next 6 months with no availability!

Right now it looks like we can still redeem for EK, VA(domestic), VA international at very last minute. Anyone tried to redeem for HA and AS? I would assume AS has good availability.

I think VA,HA and SQ will all go away when VX elevate dissolves, leaving EK which already partners with AS.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Jma12
So it looks like redemption to SQ are dead. Tried a simple HKG-SIN segment for next 6 months with no availability!

Right now it looks like we can still redeem for EK, VA(domestic), VA international at very last minute. Anyone tried to redeem for HA and AS? I would assume AS has good availability.

I think VA,HA and SQ will all go away when VX elevate dissolves, leaving EK which already partners with AS.
SQ has been basically dead for a while.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:48 pm

Something has changed with VA and VX. VA seems to now release most awards under 72 hours which causes an issue with the burn desk. They are now standing firm with the 72 hour requirement. Apparently they had enough issues where tickets were not processing correctly under that timeframe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.