TSA Pre-Check and Virgin America

Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:33 am
nnn
Original Poster

Programs: All-Around Kettle

Apologies if this has been mentioned; I didn't find it on a search.

In November 2012, VX's CEO said the airline is working to add support for TSA Pre-Check:

http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/16/vi...rbulent-skies/
Security
TSA hassles are the bane of business travelers who fly often enough to know what a joke our current “security” model is. The TSA has been moving toward a risk-based model that would allow frequent travelers to bypass many elements of the screening process. With recent changes to the TSA’s rules, Virgin is now eligible to participate in the TSA’s Pre Check program. Cush said the airline is working to modify its systems to enable its fliers to participate and hopes to have it available shortly after the holidays.
As a member of Global Entry, I would certainly be enticed to fly VX more often (versus United) if I knew I could get Pre-Check. It's just so much better.

ETA: In reading other news articles about the subject, other airlines are mentioned as being in talks to add Pre-Check, but not VX. So perhaps Pre-Check isn't happening anytime soon for VX, after all. Anyone have updated information?

Update 6/3/13 -- Pre-Check is NOW OPERATIONAL.

Last edited by nnn; Jun 3, 2013 at 11:59 am Reason: Now operational
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: United MP, Virgin America Elevate, JetBlue TrueBlue

Got an email today saying VX will participate in pre- check starting this summer. Eligible elevate members will receive personal email invitations to join.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/tsa-precheck

Rasheed
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:41 pm
nnn
Original Poster

Great news.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Word at SFO is tentatively June...
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Was just at SFO T2 this weekend - PreCheck is essentially set up and ready to go - the WTMD-only lane is in place, as is the signage.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:04 pm
nnn
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Critic
Was just at SFO T2 this weekend - PreCheck is essentially set up and ready to go - the WTMD-only lane is in place, as is the signage.
Pre-Check has already been working in T2 for AA for a while now.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 7:28 am

Up to this point, I've avoided Virgin America because of no TSA Precheck. I just fly Delta and it's pain free out of BWI. I called Virgin and got really frustrated because the representative said she had never even heard of TSA Pre-Check. This Monday, I will fly out of IAD to SFO (via Virgin). I'm going to see if the TSA agent will accept my Global Entry card and a paper Virgin boarding pass over the way-to-awesome Delta iPhone app, which beeps 3 times and lets me get through TSA in 2 minutes over 40.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Why don't you just go to virginamerica.com and look up tsa in the FAQs? The second item on the list is pre check. It says they will have it by summer. I think I read somewhere they're specifically shooting for June.

VX does mobile BP's as well through their mobile website.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:36 am
nnn
Original Poster

Originally Posted by derekhuether
I'm going to see if the TSA agent will accept my Global Entry card and a paper Virgin boarding pass . . . .
I would be very surprised if this worked to get you Pre-Check.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nnn
If you do not get three beeps, you cannot use pre-check. A VX boarding pass will not give you three beeps.

Fin.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by nnn
It will absolutely not work. You have to be registered for it through your FF program and then the TSA decides whether you qualify or not. Either way it is encoded in your boarding pass. I have used precheck with AA and UA and I'd say 90% of the time I get the three beeps. VA is not participating yet, so there is absolutely no way to use precheck on a VA flight.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 5:50 pm

My follow-up // VA + TSA = Fail

Long story short, presenting the card from CBT is useless. If the QR code associated with your boarding pass doesn't have the Trusted Traveler number encoded on it (giving 3 beeps), TSA doesn't care a single bit.

Didn't work at IAD.
Didn't work at SFO.

My plan is to not fly Virgin again until they can get it together. Back to Delta I go. I am looking forward to hearing my 3 beeps on Monday (for a Delta flight) and bypassing the whole mess.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
You didn't have to through all of the trouble - we could have all told you that. The pre-check eligibility on each trip is tied to the airline vetting you through TSA on that record.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:35 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by derekhuether
Long story short, presenting the card from CBT is useless. If the QR code associated with your boarding pass doesn't have the Trusted Traveler number encoded on it (giving 3 beeps), TSA doesn't care a single bit.

Didn't work at IAD.
Didn't work at SFO.

My plan is to not fly Virgin again until they can get it together. Back to Delta I go. I am looking forward to hearing my 3 beeps on Monday (for a Delta flight) and bypassing the whole mess.
Delta at SFO does not have PreCheck (No one in Terminal 1 does)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.