Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding order - done by row in MC?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Question Boarding order - done by row in MC?

I've never flown VA but looking into going EWR-SFO as their fare is half the price of AA and EWR is closer to me than JFK. I'd like to do MCS but it's 3 times the price of MC ($169 vs $557 each way). I'm doing carry on only so wondering what row I should select to make sure they don't run out of overhead space. How is the boarding done on VA? Obviously first, MCS, then MCX (or whatever it's called) but how about after that? The seat map is pretty wide open so I can get about any row and don't mind sitting in the back of the plane if it gets me on the plane before the rest of MC (I'll definitely be picking an aisle seat).

I'll look for the MCS upgrades 24 hours out too but not sure I'll want to spend the extra money on it as it adds up fast.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Boarding for VX flights (and not VA, otherwise you'd be flying to Australia) is done by pre-boarding customers, then First Class and Main Cabin Select customers (sometimes called separately, sometimes FC and MCS are called together as group A). Then Main Cabin is called by the group system from B or C to E.

MCS upgrade for transcon flights is $129 but you get a lot for the money as a one time upgrade. All drinks, meals, entertainment and one checked bag are free, along with additional legroom and dedicated overhead locker. Priority boarding as above is included as well as priority security at some airports.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Then Main Cabin is called by the group system from B or C to E.
I guess my question is how do they put people into group B to E? Is it by row number, time checked in, etc? How do I ensure I am in group B or C?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:33 pm

Not sure but I suspect your group assignment is by time of check-in for Main Cabin. You can check in at the 24 hour clock to be sure. Also, VX supposedly offers Main Cabin Express for a small fee, which probably puts you into boarding group B. I never tried it but perhaps others have.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:47 pm

Not sure but I suspect your group assignment is by time of check-in for Main Cabin. You can check in at the 24 hour clock to be sure. Also, VX supposedly offers Main Cabin Express for a small fee, which probably puts you into boarding group B. I never tried it but perhaps others have.
Main Cabin Express is boarding group A.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:35 pm

So F, MCS and MC Express are all group A. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:42 pm

So F, MCS and MC Express are all group A. Thanks for the clarification.
F and MCS usually board together as the priority group .Then it's group A and so on.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by mr27
F and MCS usually board together as the priority group .Then it's group A and so on.
The order sometimes differ according to airport. It's not consistently applied.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Location: No longer spreadin' into your seat... down 187 pounds and at goal!
Programs: Delta360; DL Private Jets; Former KFC Golden Bucket
How are the Main Cabin groups determined? By row, groups of rows?

If you're not sitting in F, MCS, or MXP and want overhead bin space should you book a row in the back of the aircraft?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.