Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

$20 charge to call when the website fails during seat selection?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA (1P)

I booked a flight for my 86-year-old mom the other day and, because she insist on being towards the front, booked her in main cabin express. But the website would only let me book seats in one direction, deleting the selection for the outbound as soon as I selected the return, and visa versa. I booked her tickets with the outbound seat and then tried to book the return seat after the fact, but got a notification that there is a problem and I should call.

So I called and, after being on hold for 25 minutes, spoke with someone who was able to book her return seat. He said he'd waive the $20 for that seat, which I thought was cool.

OK, so I'm checking my credit card statement a few days later and I see a charge for $20 for using VA's call center. Mind you I never gave them my credit card number while talking on the phone, and the agent never said anything about being charged for the call (and, like I said, he said he'd waive the charge for the seat). So I was charged based on my name and phone number, apparently.

This seems wrong on so many levels. Charging without asking how I wanted to pay (it was, like I said, for my mom, not me). Charging in the first place, for calling when I have no alternative because the website is buggy. And having to endure a buggy website for over a year and a half (I've had numerous problems checking and upgrading online), with no sign of improvement.

I'm sorry, but I'm probably going to go back to Untied.

Jim
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:11 pm

I understand your frustration. Just booked SAN-SFO-IAD but was only able to select seat on first segment. It gives me error messages when trying to select seat on second segment. Looks like I'll have to call them soon
Old Sep 6, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by zooey91
I booked a flight for my 86-year-old mom the other day and, because she insist on being towards the front, booked her in main cabin express. But the website would only let me book seats in one direction, deleting the selection for the outbound as soon as I selected the return, and visa versa. I booked her tickets with the outbound seat and then tried to book the return seat after the fact, but got a notification that there is a problem and I should call.

So I called and, after being on hold for 25 minutes, spoke with someone who was able to book her return seat. He said he'd waive the $20 for that seat, which I thought was cool.

OK, so I'm checking my credit card statement a few days later and I see a charge for $20 for using VA's call center. Mind you I never gave them my credit card number while talking on the phone, and the agent never said anything about being charged for the call (and, like I said, he said he'd waive the charge for the seat). So I was charged based on my name and phone number, apparently.

This seems wrong on so many levels. Charging without asking how I wanted to pay (it was, like I said, for my mom, not me). Charging in the first place, for calling when I have no alternative because the website is buggy. And having to endure a buggy website for over a year and a half (I've had numerous problems checking and upgrading online), with no sign of improvement.

I'm sorry, but I'm probably going to go back to Untied.

Jim
You didn't authorise the charge. I'd ring VX and ask them to reverse the charge. If they refuse, dispute it with your CC issuer.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by *A Flyer
You didn't authorise the charge. I'd ring VX and ask them to reverse the charge. If they refuse, dispute it with your CC issuer.
How do I ring VX without paying another $20? I'm assuming you're referring to a different number, but I can't seem to find any customer service number to call.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
How do I ring VX without paying another $20? I'm assuming you're referring to a different number, but I can't seem to find any customer service number to call.
Oftentimes there will be a phone number associated in the details of the charge. However, if you don't want to call it or don't see one there is nothing saying you can't go right to the bank to dispute it. You honestly do not know who to call and starting some never-ending charge loop by calling them would be ridiculous.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Now this is rich. Their website says I can call the standard number and ask for "guest care." I did so and it said I could choose option 1 and have them call me back, or press 2 for other options. Press 2 and there's only one option, to explain what a call back is like. So I request a call back and 15 minutes later the phone rings, but they hang up as soon as I answer!

I realize that discount air travel comes at a cost, but this is ridiculous.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Now this is rich. Their website says I can call the standard number and ask for "guest care." I did so and it said I could choose option 1 and have them call me back, or press 2 for other options. Press 2 and there's only one option, to explain what a call back is like. So I request a call back and 15 minutes later the phone rings, but they hang up as soon as I answer!

I realize that discount air travel comes at a cost, but this is ridiculous.
Oh yikes, I'm sorry... I can't even imagine how frustrating that must be. Might be best to call your CC issuer but thank you for sharing... The good karma gods say thank you for sharing useful knowledge with your fellow FFers.

Good news is you will have a newfound appreciation for UA :-). It seems like VX has really been mis-managing their travelers and FFers as of late.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:25 am

The whole point of the fee is to direct you to do things on the website so you don't have to call at all. If you're not able to do it on the website, they shouldn't be charging you. As I understand it, they CAN'T charge you unless you give them a card number. Their system can't use a previously charged card, it has to be entered each time a new charge is made.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:36 pm

I wonder if the charge is perhaps not related. Maybe your change on the site went through and charged your card but still gave you an error.

There's just no way they would be charging credit cards at all without confirming it with you over the phone, confirming the last 4 digits of the card, etc. You can't just charge someone's card like that. It's against the card company's policies. It's for this that I think the charge is unrelated/ accidental.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Paying to call them? Is there any other airline that does this?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Paying to call them? Is there any other airline that does this?
It isn't a charge to place a call, it's a charge to do things like reservation changes that you can do through the website for free.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Not saying it didn't happen, but how do they charge you without you giving them your CC #. Is it possible the $20 fee was for the original charge for the Main Cabin Express seat booked online?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:09 am

The system VX uses does indeed save CC numbers. The one you purchased the ticket with. However the agent can only see the last 4 numbers. When he/she goes to the fees section/anywhere to add a fee or service to take payment the CC field is pre-populated with the CC number with the last 4 numbers shown XXXXXXXXXX4532 <---like so. The old system however didn't save CC numbers.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:59 pm

It likely was simply an inadvertent error on the part of the rep. You are not charged specifically to call to speak with a representative with VX. You can call and speak to reps as much as you like, without charge. The fee was for taking care of the seating issue - and as the person above said, the card info is saved attached to the ticket. It is not visible to the phone representatives. The system would have automatically assessed the fee for main cabin express, which likely didn't charge in the first place if you were not able to select it on the web, and the representative would have to manually suppress or override it. It's likely that just didn't happen properly, which happens. Frustrating, but just call, explain the circumstances, and they'll likely make it right immediately. They are very aware of the glitches in the website. As far as the customer relations going to voicemail, that's many airlines these days. VX does call back, usually within 24 hours.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
Just so you know, VX has a bunch of us 'new folk' on the line, and unfortunately, even old farts like me (relatively speaking) can make a mistake or three (and they've recently changed res systems, so even the seasoned VX reps might make a boo-boo.)

If WE do the SA, yes there is a charge - but if we go online and can duplicate the error, we can waive the fee. Note that I hear that some tablets have issues with the website, so a regular laptop/tower might be worth a try too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.