When Will ORD Service Start

Old Sep 6, 2008, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
When Will ORD Service Start

Any idea when service from ORD to LAX and SFO will start? It was supposed to start this fall but it doesn't look like flights have been loaded yet.

I fly to CA regularly and want to give the airline a try.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: VX, UA 2P
I was told October by a flight attendant. The Chicago Tribune said (a while ago) the new runway will open in November:

...despite the opening of a new runway in November that Chicago contends will boost the airport's capacity.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,7052855.story
So it should be somewhere around this time (I like to think it'll be October). They should announce it soon if they want to start selling tickets
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I am about to hit the VS clubhouse in SFO as part of a SEA-SFO-LAS VX trip (with a lunchtime layover/breather in SFO).

The gate agent in SEA said that ORD was going to be "early 2009" (and no new destinations until then), and that MIA was next, then DEN.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I am about to hit the VS clubhouse in SFO as part of a SEA-SFO-LAS VX trip (with a lunchtime layover/breather in SFO).

The gate agent in SEA said that ORD was going to be "early 2009" (and no new destinations until then), and that MIA was next, then DEN.
If Mike is bartending, tell him "Ron" says "Hi" :-)
But I don't think he works this early.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You know, we COULD do a FT VX/VS meetup at the VS clubhouse...
Old Sep 6, 2008, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You know, we COULD do a FT VX/VS meetup at the VS clubhouse...
I'm in! (not today, though) :-)
I've already had a meetup with nermaljcat there...
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by aviators99
I'm in! (not today, though) :-)
I've already had a meetup with nermaljcat there...
Mike the bartender is a good guy

-- I'm in SFO for the next couple weeks, but won't be flying VX this trip (they don't fly to LHR ).
Old Sep 7, 2008, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by nermaljcat
Mike the bartender is a good guy

-- I'm in SFO for the next couple weeks, but won't be flying VX this trip (they don't fly to LHR ).
No. Its does not served to LHR but, it was only in domestic USA from SFO-SEA/LAS/SAN/LAX/JFK/IAD. Perhaps VX will continuation to have more newest cities in the few weeks. Hopefully if VX will considering service from SFO-ORD, BOS or MIA. Hopefully if VX will have predictions another new routes sometimes in between 2008 or 2009. Its will continuation where more capacity growth.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
No. Its does not served to LHR but, it was only in domestic USA from SFO-SEA/LAS/SAN/LAX/JFK/IAD. Perhaps VX will continuation to have more newest cities in the few weeks. Hopefully if VX will considering service from SFO-ORD, BOS or MIA. Hopefully if VX will have predictions another new routes sometimes in between 2008 or 2009. Its will continuation where more capacity growth.
You're right, VX does not serve LHR. I was just kidding around .

I actually considered flying LHR-IAD so I could book VX IAD-SFO, but it added too much distance/price to justify it. The shape of the planet makes it shorter/quicker/cheaper flying LHR-SFO directly over Greenland and Canada.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 2:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Hiring at ORD

Well, they can't be very far away from starting up here in Chicago. A buddy of mine in the aviation industry sent me this today:

Published Job Title: Station Supervisor-ORD
Airport Location: Chicago-ORD

https://www.virginamerica.apply2jobs...showJob&RID=79

Hurry up, VX!! We need you !!
Old Sep 9, 2008, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777
Well, they can't be very far away from starting up here in Chicago. A buddy of mine in the aviation industry sent me this today:

Published Job Title: Station Supervisor-ORD
Airport Location: Chicago-ORD

https://www.virginamerica.apply2jobs...showJob&RID=79

Hurry up, VX!! We need you !!
There is also a "Station Manager" position going at ORD. From memory, at least one of these have been around for a while (shortly after announcing they were seeking ORD slots).

https://www.virginamerica.apply2jobs...&CurrentPage=1
https://www.virginamerica.apply2jobs.com/index.cfm
Old Sep 20, 2008, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
There is also a "Station Manager" position going at ORD. From memory, at least one of these have been around for a while (shortly after announcing they were seeking ORD slots).

https://www.virginamerica.apply2jobs...&CurrentPage=1
https://www.virginamerica.apply2jobs.com/index.cfm

All of these posts have been taken down. No jobs for ORD showing. In fact, you cannot even search for jobs at ORD any more. Hope this is not an indication they are planning to scrap plans for ORD.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 7:19 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, HHonors
The talk I have heard is a lack of gate space to operate from. AA and UA appear to be sitting on gates, even after their reductions.

There is ample space(read: a lot) in the international terminal but it appears that VX has no desire to fly out of there.

For the moment, it seems, they are not concerned about beginning ORD.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mimi Imferst
The talk I have heard is a lack of gate space to operate from. AA and UA appear to be sitting on gates, even after their reductions.

There is ample space(read: a lot) in the international terminal but it appears that VX has no desire to fly out of there.

For the moment, it seems, they are not concerned about beginning ORD.
nooooo!

Why don't they want to fly out of the international terminal? It is a nice terminal (we'll the parts I've seen flying UA - unless that was the domestic terminal ) and they did it successfully at SFO.

Remaining optimistic, let's hope they simply filled those positions... I see that the city list only contains locations that there are positions for. Let's hope this actually means they are closer to opening and that October is still the time for ORD.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 9:26 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, HHonors
nooooo!

Why don't they want to fly out of the international terminal? It is a nice terminal (we'll the parts I've seen flying UA - unless that was the domestic terminal ) and they did it successfully at SFO.
I've never visited. One member on here mentioned that it was over a mile away from the other terminals. I'm not sure why this is an issue for VX as the traffic would be more P2P in nature as they currently don't partner with anyone for onward connections.

I'm not sure what kind of regulations ORD uses for gate space allotment, if any. They have a responsibility to manage the space for optimal usage and I imagine that AA/UA could probably do without one gate or two for VX and other airlines clamoring for access.

What good does a removal of caps do when airlines are reducing traffic but not giving up gates space proportionately?

Anyone have an understanding of the system for gate space allocation at ORD?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.