Is the "live" Dish Network news feed gone?

Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is the "live" Dish Network news feed gone?

On this morning JFK-SFO flight at 0955, I clicked on the Dish Network icon and, for the first time for me, none of these appeared on the list:

CNN
MSNBC
CNBC
Fox News
two local New York City stations

Is this the end of "live" news as we know it on Virgin America flights, or did I just hit a flight with a technical issue? I did listen to CNN for an hour via the Tune In app on my phone, using my free hour of T Mobile wi-fi on board, an an alternative.

Anyone else notice the same issue today?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
March 1st it was deactivated. Gotta love the email / communication from Alaska about it, huh?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

This was my first flight since March 1, so dates would match (my March 2 flight cancelled due to weather and I flew on Alaska metal instead).
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Switching between CBS/Fox and CNBC on AS1107 as I type... so working on at least one a/c.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just boarded N286VA and there is no live TV. Sad to see, but they do have Hawaii 5-0 loaded.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Well, it was nice while it lasted. Can't say I really noticed a lot of other passengers tuning into those speciifc channels, but it sure made those transcons go by faster for me.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
It worked on my flight yesterday, SFO-LAX. Only watched ESPN though.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:46 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

All news channels were available on my flights on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
I flew SFO-EWR Sunday and all of those channels (and many others) were removed -- all that remained were things like the GoPro channel. I returned JFK-SFO yesterday on one of the new A321s and there was no "live TV" menu option at all.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dayone
All news channels were available on my flights on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Were you on a transcon?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:02 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tom911
Were you on a transcon?
Midcon A320.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Currently flying FLL to SFO and live TV is completely gone. Zero notice from Alaska or Virgin. Does Alaska have a JetBlue mole? Seems AS is doing everything possible to push VX elites to JetBlue.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jjmadison
Currently flying FLL to SFO and live TV is completely gone. Zero notice from Alaska or Virgin. Does Alaska have a JetBlue mole? Seems AS is doing everything possible to push VX elites to JetBlue.
They are succeeding. Ive had 14 friends and coworkers tell me theyre ditching Alaska/Virgin after poor experiences. Most are in SFO and are going back to United.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Skyjumper

They are succeeding. Ive had 14 friends and coworkers tell me theyre ditching Alaska/Virgin after poor experiences. Most are in SFO and are going back to United.
I'm struggling with this exactly. SFO-based VX Gold>>MVPG but haven't been pleased with the continued reduction in product and service.

I know United has the larger presence and network out of SFO but is it going to be better than switching to someone like AA? I'd love to jump to DL but the routing just doesn't make sense for me from SFO.

I mainly travel SFO>LAX/ORD/NYC/DAL/SEA so outside of AS, those will be my only two realistic options.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

I was a very happy EXP at AA for 17 years and lost my top tier status there just this year. Most of my domestic upgrades there were based on the earliest date booked within my tier, giving me 90-100% upgrade rates during that term, but now they've gone to a 12 month spending pattern within tier that would seriously work against me as a leisure traveler, let alone I had no intention of meeting the $12,000 spending minimum.

You'll find staff at the SFO Admiral's Club will take very good care of you during irregular operations, and I had a membership until I made the move to Alaska 15 months ago for domestic flights. I had the same experience with Admiral's Clubs ranging from DFW to LGA when things were going wrong.

As you're flying between AA hubs (LAX, ORD, JFK, DFW) you'll have plenty of flights to choose from, and with SEA you can fall back on Alaska as AA does not fly there from SFO. Big question is what you're looking for in a carrier. Miles? More flights? Upgrades? Paid business/first? You have to add up all the items that matter to you to decide if a move to AA works. Right now it does not work for me, but may work perfectly well for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.