From Cool to Cruel. AS downgrades VX food snacks

Old Jan 22, 18, 2:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Programs: JetBlue Mosaic and Mint fan, AA EXP and CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Posts: 459
From Cool to Cruel. AS downgrades VX food snacks

Despite the VX website First Class experience page showing that Dean & Deluca curated snacks are served onboard, put a nail in that VX coffin.

https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/fly-with-us

Some could call it bait and switch, or even downright fraud. I call it short-sighted leadership losing people who want good stuff rather than crap.

Nothing being served in today's F class flight from LAX to MCO other than avoidable junk snacks from a humdrum boring vending machine.

Goodbye Dean & Deluca, Hello uninspired cheap crap.
cyber1k is offline  
Old Jan 22, 18, 4:09 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,591
Originally Posted by cyber1k View Post

Nothing being served in today's F class flight from LAX to MCO other than avoidable junk snacks from a humdrum boring vending machine.
Can you please elaborate on the "avoidable junk snacks from a humdrum boring vending machine?" Any particular brands? Choices? Were the Y snack options still available to the F cabin upon request? (I prefer several of those over the D&D stuff.)
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Jan 22, 18, 5:38 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Ester, Alaska
Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Posts: 8,719
Originally Posted by cyber1k View Post
Nothing being served in today's F class flight from LAX to MCO other than avoidable junk snacks from a humdrum boring vending machine.
What time of day did this flight depart LAX?
Seat 2A is offline  
Old Jan 23, 18, 9:18 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,591
I would sure like to hear back from the OP on both (1) what, if any, principal meals were served, and (2) what the "replacement" snacks consisted of.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Jan 23, 18, 7:37 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,233
I got the standard VX snack packs on the 15th LAX-SFO... but this was in MCS. Not sure one could find a power pack in a vending machine
beckoa is offline  
Old Jan 23, 18, 7:56 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Posts: 3,443
I just flew LAX-FLL today (1010AM departure) and everything seemed fine. No more autopilot kits for those of us in back, but they did scrounge one up from F for me.
UAPremierExec is offline  
Old Jan 25, 18, 2:10 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Ester, Alaska
Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Posts: 8,719
I am looking forward to my flight in First aboard the A321 from DCA to SFO in three weeks. I will of course let y'all know what was served. I look at the pictures from other's transcon trip reports and frankly, I'm not overly impressed. Shame that a 5 hour "First Class" flight in the U.S. is catered no better than a 2 hour flight most anywhere else in the world. Perhaps I'll purchase a shrimp cocktail or some such treat to enjoy later onboard with the meal. Apparently there are no lounge options at DCA. Thank goodness for my United Club membership...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 25, 18 at 2:17 am
Seat 2A is offline  
Old Jan 25, 18, 9:51 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 1,428
We flew VX F yesterday . LAX - SEA. 3:00 departure
Upon boarding, Blankets and Pillows at seat!!! I was happy to see this. Last 3 trips, no blankets or pillows. Menu still presented for meal choice. In this direction (North) Salad with Beef or Protein Plate. South showed chicken salad or Protein Plate.
Husband asked if he could have a sandwich from coach. No, no sandwiches on board. Was offered protein plate from Y or stay with the one listed for F.
Service functional, but FA was not in a "good mood".
Seat 2A TV was not functional and tray table needed blanket under to hold it level. Seat 2C recline features glitchy. was not able to fully recline or return foot rest for landing. Maintenance is not being done, obviously.
Snack basket presented. Not even close to what was previous. the tray contained snack items from Y. No more Dean and Deluca anything.... Chips, popcorn , "packet of brain food", pre-packaged brownie and box of cookies. (no M and M's)
Interesting, all the men chose chips and popcorn and women chose cookies or brownie .
Later in flight... chatted with FA (behind curtain).
Approached her with request for Auto Pilot Kit. (she said none onboard).
Finally, she did admit that VX crew are not happy about the new situation. they are nervous with what will happen down the road. Asked her about new uniform unveiling and her feedback.
Not too thrilled with the white stripe on dress. FA's are calling it the Coke Dress, like a can of Coke. The white will never stay white, is what all have all said. "Are they going to supply TIDE pens for this?". (I have been surveying AS staff on reactions) Many are hoping changes will be made before final roll out. "They have 2 years to get it right"
Also, interesting thing happened.
After safety video there was a taped piece that was played. " WELCOME to Alaska Airlines, we are known for shuttling lumberjacks to the outback..then volume was turned all the way down and I could barely make out words. " Intentional??? Or... equipment Glitch.
Pilot even made a comment upon his welcome. Started to say welcome onboard Virgin America,then " I guess we are Alaska Airlines now, so I guess, welcome onboard Alaska Airlines"
pcoll is offline  
Old Jan 25, 18, 9:53 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,591
Originally Posted by pcoll View Post
We flew VX F yesterday . LAX - SEA. 3:00 departure
Upon boarding, Blankets and Pillows at seat!!! I was happy to see this. Last 3 trips, no blankets or pillows. Menu still presented for meal choice. In this direction (North) Salad with Beef or Protein Plate. South showed chicken salad or Protein Plate.
Husband asked if he could have a sandwich from coach. No, no sandwiches on board. Was offered protein plate from Y or stay with the one listed for F. Service functional, but FA was not in a "good mood". Seat 2A TV was not functional and tray table needed blanket under to hold it level. Seat 2C recline features glitchy. was not able to fully recline or return foot rest for landing. Maintenance is not being done, obviously.
Snack basket presented. Not even close to what was previous. the tray contained snack items from Y. No more Dean and Deluca anything.... Chips, popcorn , "packet of brain food", pre-packaged brownie and box of cookies. (no M and M's)
Interesting, all the men chose chips and popcorn and women chose cookies or brownie .
Later in flight... chatted with FA (behind curtain). Approached her with request for Auto Pilot Kit. (she said none onboard). Finally, she did admit that VX crew are not happy about the new situation. they are nervous with what will happen down the road. Asked her about new uniform unveiling and her feedback. Not too thrilled with the white stripe on dress. FA's are calling it the Coke Dress, like a can of Coke. The white will never stay white, is what all have all said. "Are they going to supply TIDE pens for this?". (I have been surveying AS staff on reactions) Many are hoping changes will be made before final roll out. "They have 2 years to get it right"
Also, interesting thing happened. After safety video there was a taped piece that was played. " WELCOME to Alaska Airlines, we are known for shuttling lumberjacks to the outback..then volume was turned all the way down and I could barely make out words. " Intentional??? Or... equipment Glitch. Pilot even made a comment upon his welcome. Started to say welcome onboard Virgin America,then " I guess we are Alaska Airlines now, so welcome onboard Alaska Airlines"
Did the crew also complain about their new pay structure?
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Jan 25, 18, 1:38 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 1,428
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Did the crew also complain about their new pay structure?
No comment was made regarding pay. VX crew mostly concerned with routing changes going forward. SFO based crew and comment about reduction of flights by AS in and out of SFO. Entire crew had a somber, resigned attitude, including Captain .
Funny note...Was in Alaska Lounge (LAX) and had them call to see if boarding had started. (They cannot see on their screens) She started laughing and then said thanks for answering the phone. It was the Captain of our flight..there was no one at boarding desk and he was standing there, waiting to board and do his pre-flights. I guess, they have already decreased on ground personnel??
pcoll is offline  
Old Jan 25, 18, 4:20 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Posts: 3,443
Originally Posted by pcoll View Post
Pilot even made a comment upon his welcome. Started to say welcome onboard Virgin America,then " I guess we are Alaska Airlines now, so I guess, welcome onboard Alaska Airlines"
Heard this * alot * after the USAirways / America West merger. Pilots and FA's would chime in ".. your Phoenix based America West crew".. or "welcome aboard USAirways by America West.." etc.
UAPremierExec is offline  
Old Jan 25, 18, 8:20 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: InTransit
Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Posts: 2,031
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec View Post
Heard this * alot * after the USAirways / America West merger. Pilots and FA's would chime in ".. your Phoenix based America West crew".. or "welcome aboard USAirways by America West.." etc.
-----------
Reminds me so much of the horrible UA/CO merger......even Alaska's coming new uniforms are ugly and cheap looking - (like United's made by Cintas). I feel sorry for their employees and especially the VX employees who will really be dumbed down to the cheapest, lowest denomination.......like driving a Mercedes and then changed over to a Ford Pinto.
zeer0 likes this.
FlyingNone is offline  
Old Jan 26, 18, 6:00 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Programs: JetBlue Mosaic and Mint fan, AA EXP and CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Posts: 459
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Can you please elaborate on the "avoidable junk snacks from a humdrum boring vending machine?" Any particular brands? Choices? Were the Y snack options still available to the F cabin upon request? (I prefer several of those over the D&D stuff.)
No D&D branded products. They took some of the coach lower quality vending machine-type snacks and put them in First now.
cyber1k is offline  
Old Jan 26, 18, 6:01 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Programs: JetBlue Mosaic and Mint fan, AA EXP and CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Posts: 459
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
What time of day did this flight depart LAX?
Lunch time. 11am-ish.
cyber1k is offline  
Old Jan 26, 18, 9:32 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,591
Originally Posted by cyber1k View Post
No D&D branded products. They took some of the coach lower quality vending machine-type snacks and put them in First now.
Those chocolate chip cookie boxes and the 479 Popcorn (if it is still in the basket) are far far from "lower quality vending machine-type snacks."
Eastbay1K is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread