FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018-642/)
-   -   Flew VX F (for last time) MCO-LAX last night. Blankets? Pillows? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018/1883423-flew-vx-f-last-time-mco-lax-last-night-blankets-pillows.html)

caseminole Dec 18, 2017 12:09 pm

Flew VX F (for last time) MCO-LAX last night. No Blankets? No Pillows?

No blankets. No pillows. No amenity kit. Broken power source. Non functioning seat.

When did all this start to happen?

ptownca Dec 19, 2017 12:44 am

Its all on AS management who own the airline. These kinds of issues would not happen under VX management. Perhaps one of the three might happen, but in only a small handful of flights IME.

sfozrhfco Dec 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by caseminole (Post 29188969)
No blankets. No pillows. No amenity kit. Broken power source. Non functioning seat.

The slow and steady degradation of the product has been happening ever since AS took over.

gaobest Dec 19, 2017 10:55 pm

Sorry! Not fun.
Who will you fly for MCO-LAX F in the future, UAL? I don't know who serves this nonstop only because I've barely gone to MCO!

socalgecko Dec 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by caseminole (Post 29188969)

Wow. I wonder if this is an MCO ground ops issue? I flew VX F OGG-LAX on 12/16 and they had everything on board, though the crew did have to stop one of the other F passengers from walking off the plane with the quilt.

USCTrojan83 Dec 24, 2017 5:19 am

Originally Posted by gaobest (Post 29195716)
Sorry! Not fun.
Who will you fly for MCO-LAX F in the future, UAL? I don't know who serves this nonstop only because I've barely gone to MCO!

DL does.

GrayAnderson Dec 25, 2017 9:03 am

DL also offers MCO-ATL-LAX, and on at least one flight the ATL-LAX product is (IIRC) a non-Delta One lie-flat option.

tphuang Dec 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest (Post 29195716)
Sorry! Not fun.

basically, everyone and their mother fly this route. You can fly F on AA/DL/UA. One of the lowest yielding transcon routes imaginable.

cyber1k Jan 3, 2018 8:30 pm

Sad reality is that AS is killing anything basic like pillows and blankets that would attract a high revenue customer. I was on the very same flight one day earlier which was delayed and had inferior food, a junky unmaintained seat and not one pillow or blanket onboard in First or anywhere else. In the future, AA has the best product from that market considering their new lounge and improved new aircraft in First.

CDKing Jan 3, 2018 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by cyber1k (Post 29247352)
Sad reality is that AS is killing anything basic like pillows and blankets that would attract a high revenue customer. I was on the very same flight one day earlier which was delayed and had inferior food, a junky unmaintained seat and not one pillow or blanket onboard in First or anywhere else. In the future, AA has the best product from that market considering their new lounge and improved new aircraft in First.

AS business plan is not to be the Premium airline in any market, that was announced very early in the merger process. AS sole reason for purchase was to keep it out of jetblues hands.The issues with the junky maintained seat go back to when VX was on their own. They could have replaced the seats many years ago but let them slide. AS will probably just be removing them anyways so no reason to fix them up now.

PV_Premier Jan 4, 2018 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 29247456)
They could have replaced the seats many years ago but let them slide. AS will probably just be removing them anyways so no reason to fix them up now.

there is a big difference between a dated product and a non-functional product though, particularly at the joke prices that AS requests for their F seats on many routes. it's one thing to have an outdated product that functions as expected, it's another thing entirely to have a dated product where the seat doesn't even recline. maintenance and updating are two very different things.

ijkh Jan 4, 2018 5:26 pm

Both our VX F seats were broken last month FLL-LAX. No compensation. No video, no seat movement, oh and did I mention the screaming infant in the seat in front of us? Fortunately the drinks were strong and we slept through most of the flight. Still it seemed like an airline circling the drain somehow. Much as I love AS, I am sad what has been done to VX.

GrayAnderson Jan 7, 2018 7:17 pm

The screaming infant really can't be helped. That's not under the airline's remit (much as many of us wish it were). The only solution I could possibly see would be to send AS a complaint instead of VX and make it clear "No, you control this airline and you're taking over the operating certificate in a week, I am holding you responsible."

None of the "slow product degradation" issues give me a good feeling about AS, but then again I wasn't thrilled with them to begin with.

geoffk Feb 2, 2018 10:08 am

flew jfk-las last week. no blankets but during boarding the attendant proactively mentioned that they are on backorder and they can't get them. and put in for a $50 credit for everyone in 1st. I was in 2c and the seat was also broken... luckily 2a was open so i just moved over to the window

VegasGambler Feb 6, 2018 7:00 pm

Was the seat actually broken or did it just not move when you pushed the buttons? Things can fall through the cracks and get stuck in the gears, and the gears won't fight it. There is some lever or something that the FA can pull which will disengage everything... that usually causes whatever's blocking the gears to fall out and it works after that.

Unfortunately this was not uncommon even pre-AS. Personally I think that part of preparing the plane (before boarding) is to make sure that the seats move and fix them if they don't, so that the passenger doesn't have to ask. But this apparently never happened.

I have a OGG-SFO VX F redeye coming up... most likely my last VX F flight :( I honestly could do the trip with just a backpack (2 nights, 3 days). Maybe I'll take a carry-on instead and pack a blanket and a pillow.