Have To Pay $57 To Cancel Flight?

Old Dec 12, 17, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: None
Have To Pay $57 To Cancel Flight?

Hey guys,

Just wanted to run this situation past you all...

I booked two seats to fly from Vegas to SF leaving tomorrow. Unfortunately, our plans had changed so we are unable to go. I called Virgin just to let them know we won't be able to make it and the agent said that to cancel the flight it will cost me $57? She said that this was because there is a change fee per ticket?

I didn't have a credit card on me so didn't have a card to give the agent. Will they just charge the card on file? Also, I understand that they won't refund but what about the taxes paid for the flight? Will they pass that onto the government?

Just thought I would ask as I have never heard of this type of situation before.

Appreciate any comments or thoughts.
Old Dec 12, 17, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta - DM, MM; Marriott - Peon; Hilton/HI: SubPeon
If the ticket is changeable (not the same as non-refundable), and you want to change your itinerary, there will be a change fee.
If you're just planning on throwing the ticket away, you don't need to do anything.
Old Dec 12, 17, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How much is the ticket worth and what are the change and cancellation fees? The latter will be in the fare rules for your ticket.

There may be no reason to cancel the ticket, but impossible to tell without more information.
Old Dec 14, 17, 4:37 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
The change/cancellation fee is $100 plus difference in fare if you were trying to rebook. Sounds like you had a highly discounted fare and the fees are more than the cost of the ticket. At that point you are better off just not showing up for the flight. Don't expect a refund or even a credi the fare purchased is less than the change fee so you'd be better off buying new tickets if you still want to travel, if not, just don't show.

Search this Thread