Why don't Virgin staff use priority tags correctly?

Old Dec 4, 17, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Why don't Virgin staff use priority tags correctly?

This has been happening on and off to me for the last couple of years. It's kind of a moot point now given the merger, but was just curious if this happens to anyone else. Last week I flew to San Diego and on the flight out, I noticed as the bags were about to leave they didn't have priority tags. The agent said she didn't notice I was main cabin select, even though I am both Elevate Silver/Alaska MVP, so should get it regardless.

Coming back I watched to see if the same thing would happen, and sure enough no priority tags. When I asked, I was told it was just for Elevate Gold, not Main Cabin Select. Regardless of the fact that's incorrect, I mentioned I am Elevate Silver, and I was then told they had changed the benefit (they haven't). So I asked about Alaska MVP - oh yeah, that's included. Finally the tags go on my bag.

Same thing happened back in May, so I wrote to Virgin to confirm at the time... "Thank you for contacting Virgin America Elevate Desk. My name is --- and I will be assisting you on this matter. In regards to your request, I apologize for the inconvenience as Silver member do indeed receive priority baggage handling."

I am just so curious as to why this keeps happening and why the staff say it is not included? Bizarre.
Old Dec 5, 17, 8:50 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Do the tags matter on VX? I only ask as I know that most of the time it's the barcode that is coded for priority baggage and the tag is just to show off.
Old Dec 5, 17, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Interesting - if true, that's great (and I had no idea).
Old Dec 5, 17, 11:20 pm

Programs: VX Gold, B6 Mosaic, AS MVPG75k, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
I've never had a problem getting the tags -- though I rarely check a bag. The problem is that half the time, the baggage handlers do not offload priority-tagged bags ahead of other bags.
ptownca likes this.
Old Dec 6, 17, 6:33 am

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
We had similar for ord-SFO and at SFO, initial bags had no priority tags. Our bags took another few minutes but ultimately it was the overall wait for any bags to appear. Taxi queue was empty so overall a good trip.

VX has such a limited ord presence that the check-in desk was closed 9-11:30 for a 1:07 boarding time. That was more my complaint as I wanted time post-tsa to get snacks etc
Old Dec 6, 17, 10:30 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by shza View Post
I've never had a problem getting the tags -- though I rarely check a bag. The problem is that half the time, the baggage handlers do not offload priority-tagged bags ahead of other bags.
This has been my experience as well. I check bags on about 75% of my flights. The default experience was Priority or gate checked bags would come first. About 60-40 on average.
Old Dec 8, 17, 10:08 pm

Location: San Juan, PR; Zug/Zurich, CH; Paris, FR; Berlin, DE; Kharkiv, UA; Seattle, WA; SFBA
Programs: MR AMB/LT T, AS MVPG75K, TK Elite/*G, IC AMB/Spire, HH D, CET TR DIA, Sixt Plt, NTL EE, Hz PC
This is the #1 thing I'm looking forward in the VX/AS merger. Of any airline I've ever flown anywhere, AS does the best job of baggage handling -- 20 minute max gate-to-belt time (or you get a bunch of FF miles), and pretty good handling of both elite/F luggage, and "special" luggage (pelican cases with big padlocks, in my case). AS check-in agents are also quite familiar with the TSA policies on "special" luggage, too (although the VX SFO team are great at this as well).
Old Dec 17, 17, 2:21 pm

Programs: None
Its the turnover in teammates, all teammates want to do the right thing, One teammate said put them on all bags, hehe
Old Dec 21, 17, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS doesn't have priority tags, so this will be disappearing in short order.

I actually wasn't aware of this, didn't get any tags on my JFK-LAS segment a few months ago.

Search this Thread