Search

Transfer in from international to domestic

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK, A3, QR
Transfer in from international to domestic

Hope someone knowledgeable about SFO logistics can help here:

Me and the missus are booked on a Swiss flight ZRH-SFO in J, scheduled arrival 4.20 PM.

I want to catch a Virgin flight to LAX on the same day. I wonder if we would be able to make the 5.55 pm departure or we should aim for the 6.50 pm departure instead. We will only be travelling with hand luggage, but will of course have to clear customs.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Same ticket? US citizens or Global Entry? The 5:55pm is 10 minutes below the minimum connection, and if no to both you're leave yourself pretty short. If all goes well- ontime or early arrival, make it to the immigration line first and not much of a line from any other flights, check in online for the VX flight, it's quite doable. Biggest issue would lines clearing immigration if you don't have Global Entry. I'd book the 6:50 and not stress it.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK, A3, QR
I don't have same ticket or global entry, so i'll go for the no-stress 6.50 departure instead. Thanks for the advice!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Booking separate tickets which are below the MCT is a poor idea. While you are certainly free to do so because you are not connecting, the risk is 100% on you.

Even the 6:50, while well within the MCT, is a risk because any significant delay means that you will no show.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Once you clear immigration, you'll need to retrieve your bags then clear customs. You'll need to take the airtrain to Terminal 2 (maybe 10 minutes), check your bag (if any), go through T2 security. Without TSA pre-check, you'll want to allot 30 minutes to go through security.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by fishy21
Once you clear immigration, you'll need to retrieve your bags then clear customs. You'll need to take the airtrain to Terminal 2 (maybe 10 minutes), check your bag (if any), go through T2 security. Without TSA pre-check, you'll want to allot 30 minutes to go through security.
Um...
Originally Posted by groovyfly
...We will only be travelling with hand luggage, but will of course have to clear customs.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by groovyfly
I don't have same ticket or global entry, so i'll go for the no-stress 6.50 departure instead. Thanks for the advice!
By far your best option. Having extra time in T-2 is not punishment. One of the best terminals in the US for a large airport. ^

Besides, what time you make up in the airport will be canceled by sitting in LAX traffic,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.