Which boarding group for exit rows ?

Old Aug 8, 17, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Which boarding group for exit rows ?

Does exit row 9 board with an earlier group so flight attendants can assess the pax (their ability to assist in emergency?) and move them if necessary?

It seems like it was group A in the past but I'm not sure if that is still the case.
Old Aug 8, 17, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

124 views, no responses - maybe nobody has been seated in row 9 exit row and remembers if they were in an early boarding group due to being in exit row?

I will pay attention when we fly this trip and see if exit row goes on early.
Old Aug 9, 17, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by flightfulbird View Post
124 views, no responses - maybe nobody has been seated in row 9 exit row and remembers if they were in an early boarding group due to being in exit row?

I will pay attention when we fly this trip and see if exit row goes on early.
I usually sit row 9 when in MC, but I don't think being in an exit row by itself grants early boarding. I can't remember exactly because I board early for other reasons.
Old Aug 10, 17, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by flightfulbird View Post
Does exit row 9 board with an earlier group so flight attendants can assess the pax (their ability to assist in emergency?) and move them if necessary?
it's actually far easier to "assess" and "move" once everyone is in position and seated where they are supposed to be. (You can't swap a "bad" exit-row passenger with a "good" replacement when there are no such candidates for replacement on board yet!)

I have never heard of exit row (or any other type of seat) giving rise to any kind of early boarding privilege on any airline. Any such privilege should only come due to status or ticket class - not as a function of seat choice.
Old Aug 10, 17, 3:27 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
From personal experience row 9 is always group B.
Old Aug 10, 17, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
it's actually far easier to "assess" and "move" once everyone is in position and seated where they are supposed to be. (You can't swap a "bad" exit-row passenger with a "good" replacement when there are no such candidates for replacement on board yet!).

I have never heard of exit row (or any other type of seat) giving rise to any kind of early boarding privilege on any airline. Any such privilege should only come due to status or ticket class - not as a function of seat choice.
I totally agree. But we don't have status and when we've had exit row seats assigned in the past on DL and I think on VX as well, I thought I remembered being in an early boarding zone because of it - and the flight attendants looking the pax over to see if someone with crutches or unable to assist had somehow ended up in those rows.

I appreciate everyone's replies very much ! We ended up paying for priority boarding to ensure overhead space because our seats are in row 5 (and if I understood correctly, it's back to front boarding on VX after preboarders and first class and those with status and those in main cabin select - so we might've/would've been in the last group).

Exit row 9 was open all the way across as well (for just the usual cost of the seat upgrade fee) so it was worth a shot to snag those for the legroom IF they also boarded early.

Last edited by flightfulbird; Aug 10, 17 at 1:24 pm
Old Aug 13, 17, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P; HH Diamond; MR Gold
I'm in row 9 tomorrow and I'm in group B. No status.
Old Aug 21, 17, 2:22 am
Original Poster

OK, we changed our return flight and instead of row 11, we are now in exit row 9. We had purchased priority boarding for the return but the telephone agent said it is "not available" for HNL---> LAX. She was unable to determine the reason, just that it wouldn't let her attach it to the reservation - so she credited the $19 fee x 2 to travel bank.

So row 9 is boarding group B for sure ? - from what I can tell from above posts ? We also had group B on boarding passes for priority boarding LAX---> HNL but the LAX gate agent just called for first class, main cabin select, elevate with status, family boarding and then priority (no letters!)

We are just trying to sort out overhead space, we would rather not check bags - and I wanted to ask if any of you knew why priority boarding might not be available out of certain stations.
Old Aug 21, 17, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Usually B. Unless MCS exit row of course then Priority after First/Gold.
Old Sep 3, 17, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Updating about boarding group and priority boarding out of HNL after flight yesterday -

Exit row 9 ---> boarding group B

And has anyone gotten priority boarding out of HNL - or had trouble getting it/ been denied purchasing it because it "wasn't available" ?

Phone agent had said priority boarding wasn't available out of HNL when we called to switch our flights to a week later - even though we had paid for it on that itinerary when booking our flights - so the agent refunded the cost of it into travel bank.

Yet, after First Class - Main Cabin Select + elite pax - and families with small children - came the call for priority boarding (the agent said "anyone who has PRIORITY printed on their boarding pass") - and a ton of people lined up for it and boarded.

Then group A - then we boarded with group B.

While the priority group was boarding, I went to ask the gate agent about it because it was such a large group and I wanted to check on how to snag it in the future. She said it wasn't available at this airport. I nicely asked "but it's priority boarding happening right now !" and she said that was only for special rows, a certain group - row 4 was one of the rows - no real answer.

Amazingly enough, there was still overhead space right above our seats so it worked out ok to get the travel bank refund and board with group B - but obviously priority boarding IS available out of HNL somehow for certain situations so if that's something you want for sure, look into it before purchasing.

We have TSA Precheck so the priority security that goes along with priority boarding on VX wasn't a factor for us - if we didn't have precheck, it would've been way more important to have the boarding/priority issue sorted out.

Thank you all for your responses to my questions !

Search this Thread