FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018-642/)
-   -   How difficult are MCS upgrades lately? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-america-elevate-pre-2018/1859523-how-difficult-mcs-upgrades-lately.html)

PDXPremier Aug 7, 2017 9:42 pm

How difficult are MCS upgrades lately?

Just curious how easy MCS upgrades have been lately for VX elites so I have some idea what to expect as an AS elite down the road when I'm eligible for MCS upgrades.

I realize many VX elites get upgraded to MCS but eventually use the upgrade buy-up to F so what effect (if any) does that have on MCS availability? Do you usually let the system auto-upgrade you or do you call at your upgrade window if non-middle MCS seats are still available?

dayone Aug 7, 2017 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 28661079)
Just curious how easy MCS upgrades have been lately for VX elites so I have some idea what to expect as an AS elite down the road when I'm eligible for MCS upgrades.

I realize many VX elites get upgraded to MCS but eventually use the upgrade buy-up to F so what effect (if any) does that have on MCS availability? Do you usually let the system auto-upgrade you or do you call at your upgrade window if non-middle MCS seats are still available?

Like all upgrades, they are route-dependent and day-dependent.

That said, they seem to be getting tougher. They used to be sure things. Lately, I've actually seen a couple flights where MCS was sold out at the upgrade window.

The double upgrade (free+paid) is not as popular as you might think.

I used to auto-upgrade, but now I usually call at the window to make sure I can get an aisle.

shza Aug 8, 2017 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 28661079)

As a VX Gold, I have never failed to get the MCS auto-upgrade. (I also then pay for the upgrade to F probably 90% of the time -- basically anything other than an SFO-LAX short-hop.)

keitherson Aug 8, 2017 11:39 pm

I've never missed an upgrade as VX Gold.

But now, with Alaska's merger... sigh

socalgecko Aug 10, 2017 10:18 am

Recently took an LAX-LAS trip 8/4-8/5 and didn't get an upgrade in either direction. Looks like it was actually sold-out prior to check-in on the outbound. On the return, MCS was available for purchase at T-24 but I was never bumped up automatically. Didn't really care since it was such a short flight, to be honest.

UAPremierExec Aug 16, 2017 5:00 pm

Don't worry - we (AS flyers) know your pain. This year has been the most challenging for upgrades for AS elite flyers as well.

VXforever Aug 21, 2017 10:50 pm

If you don't get MCS upgrade and see they are still selling seats, call, call, and HUCA repeatedly. Eventually you'll get an agent who can get you into MCS. It's called agent roulette

PDXPremier Aug 22, 2017 12:04 am

Originally Posted by VX N281VA (Post 28719579)
If you don't get MCS upgrade and see they are still selling seats, call, call, and HUCA repeatedly. Eventually you'll get an agent who can get you into MCS. It's called agent roulette

Any luck with Twitter? Do you call right at T-24?

brettsir Aug 22, 2017 2:42 am

They are all over the place. Some routes like LAX-SFO upgrades are easy for golds who select the auto upgrade and almost impossible for silvers that don't. Add in the phone agents who don't know that non auto upgrades are to be processed at the gate, ticket counter agents that don't know that upgrades are processed at the gate, and counter agents who direct you to the gate to be added to the wait list and establishing a pattern is impossible. You could be a gold and not select the auto upgrade and end up in the back because two silvers found a phone agent who would process the upgrade instead of placing them on the wait list and having a counter agent direct you to the gate while another adds a gold before you.

It's not the most straightforward or fair process ATM but with the increase of eligibility for upgrades increasing next month, hopefully all front line employees will be on the same page and upgrade processing will be more standardized.

sfozrhfco Aug 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by brettsir (Post 28720072)
It's not the most straightforward or fair process ATM but with the increase of eligibility for upgrades increasing next month, hopefully all front line employees will be on the same page and upgrade processing will be more standardized.

HAHAHA, good luck with that.