How to use up VX travel bank?

Old Jul 9, 17, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Location: San Juan, PR; Zug/Zurich, CH; Paris, FR; Berlin, DE; Kharkiv, UA; Seattle, WA; SFBA
Programs: MR AMB/LT T, AS MVPG75K, TK Elite/*G, IC AMB/Spire, HH D, CET TR DIA, Sixt Plt, NTL EE, Hz PC
How to use up VX travel bank?

I have $1,670.20 in my VX Travel bank (expiring starting in Nov 2017), but am flying VX a lot less due to 1) being in Seattle and flying AS instead for superior routing 2) trying to requalify as AS MVP Gold 75K 3) generally flying international vs. domestic.

I have some SEA-SFO and some flights SEA-elsewhere which I could make on VX instead of AS to use up credit. I'd prefer to get AS credit for them (EQM; obviously points to RDM is easy), but I'd also like my VX Gold status used (upgrades to MCS and then pay upgrade MCS-to-F).

Is there a solution? I was thinking of booking on VX, getting upgrade processed, then substituting my AS MP number for my VX FF number before taking the actual flight. Presumably I could do the same thing on the return, or just treat them as two one-ways.

The ideal would be if the VX travel bank became a VX+AS travel bank, but not sure how likely that is.
Old Jul 9, 17, 2:11 pm

VX travel bank will almost certainly become Alaska travel bank - what other option will there be? Virgin just keeps the money?

You can get alaska eqm now if you fly virgin afaik, so book those SF flights using the bank.
Old Jul 9, 17, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by rdlmitedu View Post
I have some SEA-SFO and some flights SEA-elsewhere which I could make on VX instead of AS to use up credit. I'd prefer to get AS credit for them (EQM; obviously points to RDM is easy), but I'd also like my VX Gold status used (upgrades to MCS and then pay upgrade MCS-to-F).

Is there a solution? I was thinking of booking on VX, getting upgrade processed, then substituting my AS MP number for my VX FF number before taking the actual flight.
Since your credit expires in two months, you need to use it on VX.

Your idea (bolded above) seems like your best course. Just don't wait until the last minute...and save your boarding passes.
Old Jul 10, 17, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT, Amex Cent, WN A, WN CP, UA Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
Since your credit expires in two months, you need to use it on VX.

Your idea (bolded above) seems like your best course. Just don't wait until the last minute...and save your boarding passes.
+1 on keeping boarding pass but also keep a copy of the ticket receipt. I've had to request AS credit for VX flights about 75% of the time and they want both. My habit is to print a PDF of boarding pass when I checkin to use later so I don't need the paper.

Two one ways make it easier to do the FF# change so that changing on outbound doesn't affect the return. Also, many agents will ADD the AS ff# to the reservation but then the AS# won't print on boarding pass and my flights have never credited properly. Ask that they remove the VX# before adding the AS#.

Good luck.
Old Jul 23, 17, 4:30 pm

I believe if you book a fully refundable ticket the counter for travel bank expiry will reset upon cancelling that ticket and having it refunded. Has anyone successfully have the money refunded to credit card? Any way to get it out of the travel bank?

Cheers
Old Jul 28, 17, 10:55 am

I actually managed to get Virgin America customer services to turn my $75 travel bank voucher into 3750 Virgin Elevate points
Old Jul 30, 17, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Good to know. I think I may do this, then transfer to AS mileage plan
Old Sep 5, 17, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL GM
I was curious if anyone had been successful booking AS flights with a VX travel bank. I'm going to need to book a trip soon, and AS flies to a closer city than VX, so it would be useful if I could use my travel bank.
Old Sep 9, 17, 8:14 pm

I would like to know this too - we have $38 in a travel bank with Virgin and we would like to use it to pay mileage ticket fees on Alaska since all of our miles are there now.
Old Oct 26, 17, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
any update on this one?
Old Oct 26, 17, 9:22 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Not possible as you can only apply it to VX flights. Nobody knows yet what they will do with the balances on 1 Jan. Presumably if the credits are still valid they will transfer them over to AS at that point.
Old Oct 26, 17, 9:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Gold - Hertz PC - BW Diamond - IHG Plat
They can't just keep the money?!?
Old Nov 3, 17, 12:54 pm

According to Virgin
they will be converted or "transferrable" to AS.

I am trying to post a link to my source but this forum sucks.

Last edited by dayone; Nov 4, 17 at 11:53 pm Reason: Masked vulgarity against FT Rules.
Old Nov 3, 17, 1:43 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
If the credits are still valid at Jan. 1, I suspect they would end up in some legal hot water if they weren't still usable and weren't willing to refund/credit you in some fashion.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Nov 4, 17, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
If the credits are still valid at Jan. 1, I suspect they would end up in some legal hot water if they weren't still usable and weren't willing to refund/credit you in some fashion.
No pun intended regarding your name, but it does seem like a very "gray" area to me as well...

I just burned my last $150 on a return from ORD after Thanksgiving, but I do wonder how this will be resolved.

Search this Thread