VX no longer allowing automatic Gold upgrades to MCS?

Old Jun 22, 17, 9:15 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Dallas
Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL PLT; EK SLV; VX GLD; HHonors DIAM; SPG Platinum
Posts: 4,036
VX no longer allowing automatic Gold upgrades to MCS?

As Gold elite, just got off the phone w/ VX customer service, trying to figure out why I was being asked to pay for an upgrade to Main Cabin Select, which has always been a comp at the 24-hour window.

Was informed that Alaska Airlines has made a lot of unannounced changes to the program, including the fact that they are now holding back a limited number of MCS & F seats from the Gold comp upgrade program.

Is this true?
HKG_Flyer1 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 17, 10:18 am
  #2  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,892
I thought that VX holds back a few MCS seats from auto-upgrade. If not sold, they are processed at the gate.
dayone is offline  
Old Jun 22, 17, 11:32 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Dallas
Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL PLT; EK SLV; VX GLD; HHonors DIAM; SPG Platinum
Posts: 4,036
Originally Posted by dayone View Post
I thought that VX holds back a few MCS seats from auto-upgrade. If not sold, they are processed at the gate.
Thanks. That sounds consistent with what the VX phone rep told me... I guess I have just been lucky enough never to encounter that situation on any of my flights.

That qualifier doesn't appear to be disclosed anywhere in the description of the Elevate Gold program benefits.
HKG_Flyer1 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 17, 8:59 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,585
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1 View Post
Thanks. That sounds consistent with what the VX phone rep told me... I guess I have just been lucky enough never to encounter that situation on any of my flights.

That qualifier doesn't appear to be disclosed anywhere in the description of the Elevate Gold program benefits.
I don't think it has to be. No program offers, as a matter of right, last seat availability on comp upgrades. The last one that I know that did was AS, several years ago, when the MVPG upgrades booked into F.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Jun 25, 17, 3:32 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Dallas
Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL PLT; EK SLV; VX GLD; HHonors DIAM; SPG Platinum
Posts: 4,036
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I don't think it has to be. No program offers, as a matter of right, last seat availability on comp upgrades. The last one that I know that did was AS, several years ago, when the MVPG upgrades booked into F.
Fair point.
HKG_Flyer1 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 17, 7:45 pm
  #6  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,892
I was auto-upgraded to MCS at the Silver 12-hour window. And I'm on an award ticket, which I though wasn't eligible for comp upgrades.
dayone is offline  
Old Aug 4, 17, 3:59 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Dallas
Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL PLT; EK SLV; VX GLD; HHonors DIAM; SPG Platinum
Posts: 4,036
Follow-up: I paid the upgrade fee, then filed for refund.

VX refunded it after the fact.
HKG_Flyer1 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 17, 4:58 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Posts: 3,440
dayone - I wonder if that's one of the Alaska changes, since we have been able to upgrade now as MVP/+ on award tickets on AS - maybe its now happening for VX elites on VX award tickets too?
UAPremierExec is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread