Can't check in online - agent won't/can't help

Old May 18, 17, 9:50 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Posts: 12,267
Can't check in online - agent won't/can't help

Dear sages,

I'm a Virgin Virgin, so be kind.

I booked through Alaska and have my Virgin PNR. Tried to check in, and the system sees my record. But at the final step, I get a "woah, something's wrong" message.

I call Virgin, and they tell me the record isn't in sync.

When this happens on UA, the agent usually attempts to sync things. The Virgin agent told me "it's not in sync, so you have to come to the airport." She did not appear to troubleshoot.

Mind you, on UA, every once in a while I have to wait for airport check in as well. But the agent always tries to proactively fix it first.

Any advice in my case? Is this because of the AS booking? I'll be short on time in getting to the airport before cut off.
zrs70 is offline  
Old May 18, 17, 10:01 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,588
Was there a schedule or flight # change where the ticket # / flight coupon isn't linking properly to the flight segment? I'd call AS (as it is an AS-issued ticket), explain the situation, and see if the AS agent can't resolve it, can contact someone at VX who can. (Perhaps it is someone at the next desk )
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old May 18, 17, 4:23 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Posts: 4,427
If you checking in with the app, even VX bookings made directly with VX haven't worked for me. If you click the link that is e-mailed, that works, then you can go back to the website or app and you can see the boarding pass. Something is not working with the checkin system and it is not just a matter of it being booked through AS.
sfozrhfco is offline  
Old May 18, 17, 4:38 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,102
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
Dear sages,

I'm a Virgin Virgin, so be kind.

I booked through Alaska and have my Virgin PNR. Tried to check in, and the system sees my record. But at the final step, I get a "woah, something's wrong" message.

I call Virgin, and they tell me the record isn't in sync.

When this happens on UA, the agent usually attempts to sync things. The Virgin agent told me "it's not in sync, so you have to come to the airport." She did not appear to troubleshoot.

Mind you, on UA, every once in a while I have to wait for airport check in as well. But the agent always tries to proactively fix it first.

Any advice in my case? Is this because of the AS booking? I'll be short on time in getting to the airport before cut off.
I had the same problem. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27704934-post209.html

Even with AS reissuing the ticket, VX still couldn't see it to check me in. I just checked in at the airport and it was all fine. I think you may just have to wait until airport check in.
Finkface is offline  
Old May 18, 17, 6:01 pm
  #5  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,900
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
If you checking in with the app, even VX bookings made directly with VX haven't worked for me.
I've given up on the app.
dayone is offline  
Old May 18, 17, 11:12 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Posts: 12,267
Update - At the counter, the agent told me my birthdate and gender wasn't in the record. Couldn't that have been seen over the phone?
zrs70 is offline  
Old May 19, 17, 10:20 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 4,658
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
Update - At the counter, the agent told me my birthdate and gender wasn't in the record. Couldn't that have been seen over the phone?
Glad it went ok - how did you like VX as I recall you posting a lot in UA :-)
I love VX compared to UA and AA.
gaobest is offline  
Old May 23, 17, 10:29 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BUR
Programs: AA, DL Silver, AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,256
Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
Glad it went ok - how did you like VX as I recall you posting a lot in UA :-)
I love VX compared to UA and AA.
Nobody asked me, but I'll answer this.

UA: Crap
AA: Crap, but higher % of good/helpful staff.
VX: Good, but you have to put up with crap like the OP described.
For the record, AS: Ehhh... Good customer service, bland to crap (no free in-seat AVOD) flight experience.

Last year I drove across the country. Way better than all the above.
Oakshadow is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread