Wiki Posts
Search

Canceled Flight...Even Exchange?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Canceled Flight...Even Exchange?

Had a flight canceled by weather. I was told that they can't rebook me at a future date, but rather they'll just give me a credit in my travelbank. Is this standard policy or typical Xerox people being clueless?
Old May 4, 2017, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC assuming that USA DOT regulations apply to the flight/ticket (and I don't see any reason in your post why Virgin would not be bound by these rules, but you might want to check their CoC to see whether they have a more generous policy), if you can't be rebooked by the airline, you should be entitled to a full refund to your original means of payment, which usually means sending a credit to your credit card account, in principle within seven days, although the bank might take longer to recognize the credit.

Whether you're entitled to being rebooked is less clear, especially if another carrier would be involved. In particular, it's rather unclear whether it's the your choice or the airline's choice to just give the refund rather than rebooking you.

In practice, most USA legacy airlines would try harder to rebook elites onto flights that are acceptable to the customer and more likely to use other (such as codeshares, joint ventures, alliance or other partners or just recognized airlines with which they interline) carriers for elite or when an expensive fare has been paid. In some cases, the airline would offer a hotel or reimburse hotel expenses for top tier elites and sometimes premium cabin fo full fare customers but not provide others with even meal vouchers.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
VX has been really sucky, file with DOT. The latest rankings shows more complaints per 10,000 than United. Yea they refused to refund me on a schedule change w/ forced misconnect due to MX and still insisted in taking $100 fee away from my ticket. You were eligible for a full refund or rebooking on the airlines dime and not a lousy credit.

Its really easy to file. Just a quick form

https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escompla...nsumerForm.cfm
Old May 9, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Had a flight canceled by weather. I was told that they can't rebook me at a future date, but rather they'll just give me a credit in my travelbank. Is this standard policy or typical Xerox people being clueless?
Don't think they are Xerox anymore but the fly by night call center they have is useless. Disputing the charge with your credit card is probably the easiest route if the VX call center people can't figure it out. If the flight is cancelled you are entitled to a full refund back to the original form of payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.